Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Australian Newbie

Hi everyone

I'm new to this forum, obviously, I found it by accident while searching for quilting ideas, a most fortuitous accident I must say. I had bought a jellyroll and was looking for ideas, I have since bought another 5 jellyrolls...so many ideas to play with, thankyou for the inspirations.

Now, about me, I live in South Australia, in the Barossa Valley for any who may know about Australian wine. I have been quilting (well truthfully there's been a lot of topping and some quilting) for about 19 years in between working and going back to university as a mature age student.

However breast cancer 3 years ago put paid to that, I now try to eliminate stress from my life so now the only work I do is quilting. Sooo...having bought myself a quilting frame all those unfinished tops are coming out of storage. Now I have started a small home based business quilting for friends and charity quilts plus I teach quilting classes and workshops. I have a number of friends in the US but sadly none of them are quilters, it would be nice to make some new friends who quilt.

Lynn
    Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Re: Australian Newbie

G'day Lynn and welcome to the board! I was just thinking yesterday that I wish we had some Aussies on the board and viola! *BIG HUGS* and Congrats on overcoming breast cancer! Can't wait to see pics of your work, sure hope you'll share them soon!
    *HUGS* and Alohas, Bridgette

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." ~Unknown

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!" - Unknown

Blog
    http://hapamomquilts.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi there and welcome to the site. I too stumble across the site by acciddent. Good luck on your new adventures in quilting.
      Have a blessed day in HIS name!
      PAULA

Comment

Welcome mate. I am from Canada. There is even a lady from England on this site. We are a great bunch and you learn so much and have fun as well. I am new to quilting but the tutorials have been so much help to me. Hope to see you often. We actually just finished a block exchange with 3 countries represented. Talk of a christmas block exchange that maybe you would be interested in.
        Again welcome!
        sigpic
        Old quilters never die, they just go batty!

Your Canadian quilting sister, Shauna

Comment

Thankyou for the welcome, I've been reading through some of the posts and it's good to see some 'interesting' twists of humour around the place.

A christmas block swap would be fun, count me in.

I should say that my daughter and I also have a friend in Canada...lol but an 18 year old male who thinks quilting is for old ladies and some other amusing descriptive words, he loves to stir me about my quilting.

Today I bought a Moda William Morries jelly roll, I'm thinking it will be lovely in the jelly roll stars in one of the video tutorials, I will get a picture up when its finished.

Lynn
          Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

Hello there, I’m as well as newbie, and I’m as well Aussie but from Sydney!!!! I’m So grateful to MSQCo for the videos on the web. I’m been infected with wonderful bug call quilting, and it’s my new obsession, thankfully I’m infecting all my friend into it as well. One of my dears friends (Pomi) is going to live in Adelaide hills and she is my biggest inspiration in quilting. I will miss her terribly. I will ask her to join as well the forum so maybe you will be able to meet her while in Adelaide.
            As well I have to congrats to all MSQCo for the web, the projects and inspirations, you blow my mind every time. C’mon Missouri Star, love you to bits...
            Maggie
            Quilting with a friend will keep you in stitches.

Comment

Originally posted by magx View Post
              Hello there, I’m as well as newbie, and I’m as well Aussie but from Sydney!!!!
              Hi, welcome to you as well, I hope we all have some fun here.
              Lynn

Comment

Hello!!

I am glad to meet you. You will find plenty of Quiltsy friends here.

Comment

Welcome Lynn,
                  glad you found your way here and fun to have you in the group!!

Hugs, Suzi
                  Two of my favorite things, to encourage and to be encouraged
                  hugs, Suzi
                  http://suzi.mypremierdesigns.com/
                  it's what i do when i'm not here sewing with you

GOD Bless America

Comment

YAY! Two Aussies now! I was wondering who was going to use the term Phommie/Pomi, first! Did you hear that Mrs. Chapman?!

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." ~Unknown

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!" - Unknown

Blog

Comment

hi there australian newbie, welcome. this is a wonderful site. i have learned so many new things i just have to try. happy quilting!!

Comment

Originally posted by RockyMountainHorseMama View Post
                        YAY! Two Aussies now! I was wondering who was going to use the term Phommie/Pomi, first! Did you hear that Mrs. Chapman?!
                        In Australia the term Pomi has become one more of endearment than derision as evidenced by Magx's post. And realistically can only be applied to British people who are in Australia since the original was POHMS which stood for 'prisoners of his/her majesties ships', that is, the convict settlers. It was later applied to the British immigrants who came here on the subsidised transport scheme so they became 'passengers of his/her majesties ships', some how it has managed to stay in the vocabulary.
                        Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
                          In Australia the term Pomi has become one more of endearment than derision as evidenced by Magx's post. And realistically can only be applied to British people who are in Australia since the original was POHMS which stood for 'prisoners of his/her majesties ships', that is, the convict settlers. It was later applied to the British immigrants who came here on the subsidised transport scheme so they became 'passengers of his/her majesties ships', some how it has managed to stay in the vocabulary.
                          Oh yes, I'm very familiar w/what a Pomi is and how it came to be, almost married an Aussie Spent a lot of time in Brisbane, and then with the Kiwis Just wanted you to feel welcomed and that we know and love your culture

Blog

Comment

Currently I'm scheming with a friend from Kalamazoo, MI to escape to Canada, we have agreed we both prefer the culture (aka government) there. Watch out Canada!!! Hmm maybe I should rethink that, not sure how I would survive without my stash...wonder if I can take my sewing machine as carry on luggage...
                            Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by RockyMountainHorseMama View Post
                              Did you hear that Mrs. Chapman?!
                              Oi don't marry me off yet! Hello to you Australians.

Tell your 18 year old friend that quilting isn't just for old ladies. I'm in my twenties and there are a couple of young guys lurking around here too.
                              Quilting through the dull times
                              northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X