• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RockyMountainHorseMama
    replied
    Re: Hi!

Originally posted by hillbilly View Post
    Hello from me.

I'm not Hawaiian, but my daughter is part Hawaiian. I guess you aren't Hawaiian either. But, I'll state this here anyway, cuz that's where the thread went LOL. Her dad's family all use Hawaiian middle names. So my daughters middle name is Kapua. She is Queen Liliʻuokalani's great granddaughter.

Me, I'm nothing but an ol' Hillbilly. Welcome!
    Your daughter is a Hapa, too. We all have a Japanese and a Hawai'ian middle name in our family,too. Mine is Ululani (prosperity and heavenly beauty) my older daughter is U'ilani (beautiful girl from heaven) and my youngest is Kealohalani (beloved, heavenly beauty). I'll bet your daughter is absolutely beautiful, Hapas always are My daughters' pics are on my avatar. U'i is on the left, I think, haven't seen the pic in a while and Kealoha is on the right.

SP (southernplumeria, don't think I ever saw your name? sorry) Do you have a Hawai'ian name as well?

Leave a comment:

• hillbilly
    replied

Hello from me.

I'm not Hawaiian, but my daughter is part Hawaiian. I guess you aren't Hawaiian either. But, I'll state this here anyway, cuz that's where the thread went LOL. Her dad's family all use Hawaiian middle names. So my daughters middle name is Kapua. She is Queen Liliʻuokalani's great granddaughter.

Me, I'm nothing but an ol' Hillbilly. Welcome!

Leave a comment:

• RockyMountainHorseMama
    replied

Originally posted by southernplumeria View Post
    I was wondering how you knew all those words but I didn't know how to ask. I love hearing the jokes...my cousins love to tell me a lot of half ones. Please don't ever tell my mom that I'm young enough still.

Plumeria are the flowers that you see a lot of leis made out of...there's a website (I can't remember the name) but they make the arrangements for weddings. Gorgeous!
    A'ole pilikia (ah-oh-lay-pee-lee-key-uh; no problem) I'm not shy, I just ask! Do you still have family in Hawai'i? I do, they're in Pearl City, Kanehoe Bay, Wailua, Nanakuli, and on the Big Island in Hilo and on Mau'i in Hana, course I think my cousin said she is moving next month from Hana to Honolulu. Need a trip there soon to get fabric and "supplies"

HEY! I going tell your mom folks! (that's pidgin for, I'm going to tell your Mom!)

Leave a comment:

• southernplumeria
    replied

I was wondering how you knew all those words but I didn't know how to ask. I love hearing the jokes...my cousins love to tell me a lot of half ones. Please don't ever tell my mom that I'm young enough still.

Plumeria are the flowers that you see a lot of leis made out of...there's a website (I can't remember the name) but they make the arrangements for weddings. Gorgeous!

Leave a comment:

• RockyMountainHorseMama
    replied

No, I'm half filipino but I wish sometimes there was a little Hawaiian. My mom still lives in Charleston and it gets scorching there too but I don't think as hot as Texas. She has all of hers in pots. My duty when I go home is to lug them inside for any frost or any type of bad weather then to lug them outside again when it's pretty. I didn't mind when they were little stubs as big as my hand but now they are as tall as I am. I personally think that they grew that tall just to spite me every year.

Thanks to everyone for saying hi!

Oooh! You're a "Messy-Frita!" LOL! (Mestisa) A "Hapa" as we're called (short for Hapa Haole - hah pah how lay - meaning 1/2 Hawai'ian/Asian and 1/2 Caucasian). My car tags say, "HapaMom" on them My mom is Japanese and I'm from Pearl City (Japanee Town as we call it there I know most of these little inside jokes are lost on you but maybe someone you know or your dad can explain). Charleston is BEAUTIFUL! I think the Plumeria grow more easily there b/c of the higher humidity level and slightly lower temps. I checked on folks growing Plumeria in this area and they do it easily but weeks like this when it's over 100 they bring them in.

Yes, they grow HUUUGE and beautifully! I feel sorry for you having to lug them around! NOT! You're young, you can handle

Again, welcome to the board and I can't wait to see your work!

Leave a comment:

• janluna
    replied

What does piumeria look like? Anybody have a picture? Just wondering. lol

Leave a comment:

• southernplumeria
    replied

No, I'm half filipino but I wish sometimes there was a little Hawaiian. My mom still lives in Charleston and it gets scorching there too but I don't think as hot as Texas. She has all of hers in pots. My duty when I go home is to lug them inside for any frost or any type of bad weather then to lug them outside again when it's pretty. I didn't mind when they were little stubs as big as my hand but now they are as tall as I am. I personally think that they grew that tall just to spite me every year.

Thanks to everyone for saying hi!

Leave a comment:

• RockyMountainHorseMama
    replied

Haha! Funny part is that I was born in Honolulu, HI and stayed there only until I was 1 1/2. My dad and I get into discussions constantly about why we did not stay there. My mom still grows at least 10 plumeria plants at home and so I have always loved them.
    Aue (ow-way; oh my goodness, how sad)! So are you Hawai'ian at all or is one of your parents? My plumeria seem to burn up here in Texas, so I haven't tried to plant any for years now but I surely do miss them *sigh* Maybe I should try to get some again and just bring them in when it gets too hot, *duh*!

Leave a comment:

• sally
    replied

Welcome... I just joined recently and love this site. Great tutorals and great quilters to share ideas with. I am from western Canada so I am not familiar with the plumeria plant. I have been fortunate to have been to Hawaii twice and loved it. My favorite flower is the Sweet pea. What can I say just an old fashioned girl at heart!

Leave a comment:

• shell.scraps
    replied

Welcome!! The tutorials are amazing..I refer back to them all the time....

Leave a comment:

• southernplumeria
    replied

Haha! Funny part is that I was born in Honolulu, HI and stayed there only until I was 1 1/2. My dad and I get into discussions constantly about why we did not stay there. My mom still grows at least 10 plumeria plants at home and so I have always loved them.

Leave a comment:

• stitchywoman
    replied

The plumeria reference caught my eye too! I'm not hawaiian but I love it there! So glad you're enjoying the tutorials! Happy quilting!

Leave a comment:

• Shirley
    replied

Hi there! I love Lexington - it is so beautiful there. Nice to meet you. Shirley

Leave a comment:

• RockyMountainHorseMama
    replied

Welcome to the board Christine! At first I thought maybe you were Hawai'ian, too b/c of the Plumeria reference, my fav flower from home Anyways, I too came here b/c of the tutes and if it weren't for Jenny's easy to understand instructions would not be pursuing this wonderful addiction to quilting that I have developed!

E komo mai (welcome, come on in) *HUGS* and Alohas! (warmth and love to you)

Leave a comment:

• Texsam
    replied

Hi Christine

Welcome to the group! I agree the tutorials are wonderful! There are lots of nice people here to help you out with questions or just to gab with.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X