HElp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HElp

I am looking for someone who bastes quilts. I have a small twin that I want to handquilt but do not have the room to layout the quilt to baste. Anyone out there know of someone that bastes quilts?

Re: HElp

Here's a couple ideas for basting a large quilt:

1. Call your local quilt shop to see if they have a basting frame. Most shops will let you use it if they're not conducting classes.

2. Hire a long-arm machine quilter to baste your quilt layers.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Too big for your dining room table? I have used mine, taping down the layers and then pinning. But have heard there are much better ways. Especially the suggestions that Sandy made. Good with doing the hand quilting! Can't wait to see your finished project.

Comment

Have you thought about spray basting? I lay a white sheet or tablecloth on my bed then lay out the batting and put the backing right side up. Smooth out then fold the backing back 1/2 way. Spray batting with the basting spray and smooth the fabric back over the batting, fold up the other 1/2 and repeat. After smoothing out the backing, flip the whole thing over and lay out the top, right side up. Fold back 1/2, spray, smooth, repeat for the other 1/2. This is the only way I baste mine now and I've had no problems with it. The sheet on top of the bed will catch any overspray and can be tossed into the wash. Works for me.
        Jo :icon_wave:

Comment

I have used the space at the community centre to put mine together. This might work for you if you have one close by. Now mind you I live in a veeeery small community. Good luck.

Monique
          Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I love your method, sunflower. We all just put together several of the long folding tables which we use at our church. We meet together at church a couple of times a month for crafting. That's how several of the gals have cut or basted their quilts.

Comment

I tape my backing to the carpet and then layer and baste. I either pin it or spray it. works great
              Patrice

Comment

Hi Betsy - Have you checked out the Sharon Schamer basting method (You can find this on YouTube)? It was mentioned on this site a while ago and it really works well!

Comment

I've always used the carpet to baste/pin my quilts. It works well. The disadvantage is being on you knees! I'm moving towards using the basting spray. I've used it on a couple of smaller projects, but nothing large. Jo, what brand of basting spray do you use?
                  When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

I just tried the fusible batting for the first time. We'll see how well the whole thing turns out. It is a little stiff, but they say it will wash out. This is a "guinea pig" quilt. It is a test run for a bunch of things I wanted to try out. So far it is turning out pretty well! Probably because I don't really care how it works out!
                    I too ended up using the floor to baste my quilt. Not so easy on the knees, but it works.
                    You might also check to see if your library has a space you could use. Ours has a meeting room with large banquet tables that you could shove together to make a large flat surface. You can reserve the space for free, and could probably pop in there between other events too.
                    Be who you are and say what you feel
                    because those who mind don't matter,
                    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

If you belong to a church, and they have a an informal gathering place such as a fellowship hall with tables most would be happy to let you push tables together and baste a quilt if nothing else is scheduled there at that time. I'm too old to crawl around on the floor. It hurts!

Comment

Working...
                      X