Singer Featherweight feet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Singer Featherweight feet

I just received two feet for my featherweight (from Aprils 1930s). One was a 1/4" foot and the other was a walking foot. Both feet have plastic parts where I think the most wear will be and so could be broken and then useless. Has any one any info about this? Have you ordered and, or used these items? Should I return them and keep looking for the same items with metal parts? Thanks in advance, xanadu.

Re: Singer Featherweight feet

Wish I could help you - I am not an expert on feet (even those attached to my own body) but I'd think if you have plastic parts you are probably just as well off as anyone else. Most of the newer machines are using plastic and while there are problems with occasional breakage, it usually will hold up for the purpose for which it is intended.

Unless you can locate a source of 'original' replacement parts, it will be hard to find anything that doesn't have plastic parts now days. I just did a search on my usual replacement parts and accessories sites and everything available now has plastic - regardless of the manufacturer.

I'd use it and enjoy!!
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

I have had two 1/4" Featherweight feet and the plastic broke where the screw tightens down. Believe they were called "Little Feet". I was disappointed as they were each well over $20.00. I have had better luck with a 1/4" foot from Alphasew P60307. It is plastic as well but so far, none have broken. I have one on each of my four Featherweight machines. Believe they were around $14.00. They do get used quite a lot as my four machines go to my quilting guild weekly for other sewers to use. You can google Alphasew to access a web site.
      You might also check Clotilde's web site. I recently ordered her 1/4" foot but it has not arrived yet. I don't yet know if it is all metal, but doubt it. I just wanted to try it. The catalog number is 101003. Hope this info helps.
      Last edited by annrook; January 19, 2012, 10:54 PM. Reason: missing punctuation

Comment

Thanks for posting this I would like to know if anyone have ever found a featherweight fabric guide for there machine. My BFF has one on her machine a little plastic plate that you screw down. Guild your fabric by it and you have a perfect 1/4 seem. The company she ordered it from I think no longer exists. Any suggestions? I use a foot with a guide on my big (Janome) machine. Do they have one of those for the featherweight? Thanks
        http://renewingmrssewsew.blogspot.com
        Until next time hugs and best stitches to you all,
        Michelle

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs.Sew&Sew View Post
          Thanks for posting this I would like to know if anyone have ever found a featherweight fabric guide for there machine. My BFF has one on her machine a little plastic plate that you screw down. Guild your fabric by it and you have a perfect 1/4 seem. The company she ordered it from I think no longer exists. Any suggestions? I use a foot with a guide on my big (Janome) machine. Do they have one of those for the featherweight? Thanks
          I ordered the metal quarter inch foot from April 1930s. It has the metal 'blade' to guide the fabric to 1/4 inch. It was less than $20 and the same foot sells here at a shop for $32!!!! I have the plastic little foot and haven't had any problem with it. Used it for years. However, my sister has the same one and it started giving her problems.
          I pray when risen from the dead before the Lord I stand; perhaps a crown upon my head, but with a needle in my hand.

Becki

Comment

I found this on amazon! This is where I bought my 1/4" foot for my brother and I love it!

Distinctive Even Feed Walking Sewing Machine Presser Foot - Fits All Low Shank Singer, Brother, Babylock, Viking (Husky Series), Euro-Pro, Janome (Top-Loading Drop-In Bobbin Machines Only), White, Juki, New Home, Simplicity, Necchi, Elna and More!

http://www.amazon.com/Distinctive-Qu...8&sr=1-3-fkmr0

http://www.amazon.com/Distinctive-Wa...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t
            sigpic I sew....sew sew!

~~~ GiGi by the sea ~~~

:icon_wave:

Comment

OMG! Last night I ordered a walking foot for my Singer and paid $36 for it! I never even thought of trying Amazon. When I get a 1/4" foot, I know where I'll go!!!
              Pam in Vegas
              Pam in Vegas

Comment

I am extremely disappointed with the 1/4"foot that I ordered from Clotilde. It screws in place on the shaft but sits so crooked that I am unable to use it as a 1/4" seam guide. A friend of mine added a tiny little shim to help it sit more straight but it didn't make much difference. So, there goes another useless gadget. I have had such poor luck lately with faulty gift cards and trying to return stuff, I have not even bothered to return it. They probably won't take it anyway as it has been altered. How about a little whine with my cheese?

Comment

I have had good luck with the Alphasew feet for my Featherweights.
                  sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Originally posted by phoots View Post
                    OMG! Last night I ordered a walking foot for my Singer and paid $36 for it! I never even thought of trying Amazon. When I get a 1/4" foot, I know where I'll go!!!
                    Pam in Vegas
                    Amazon is my personal home shopping center. Yesterday I just received a clear quilting foot (need to be able to see what I'm doing). LOVE AMAZON !
                    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
                    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

Working...
                    X