Time out question revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time out question revisited

I am feeling extremely frustrated now and need some information from someone in charge. Is there a time out limit on this forum? EVERY time I type a private message I am getting cut off and told that I am NOT LOGGED on . . . when I know I have been. The system is dropping me. AND everything is then lost - unrecoverable. Yet, whenever I actually go to log out I am asked 'ARE YOU SURE'.

Do I have to do a private message in a separate program and then cut and paste to get around this? It doesn't seem to happen on the regular forums . . .

Is there ANYWAY we could be notified while we are typing away that the system is going to automatically drop us before we can click 'SEND'?

PLEASE . . . frustration makes me sad.
    Last edited by Sandy Navas; January 20, 2011, 03:55 PM. Reason: Additional thoughts
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Re: Time out question revisited

Sandy,
    As you already know, I have the same predicament as you with being timed out. I just chalked it up to being too verbose and have resorted to sending partial messages to keep connected with more frequent activity. It happened to me again today! Perhaps if I reply to this thread, too, someone with authority will answer or check into the time-out feature on the messages! I agree it is so frustrating to type a witty message and have it all disappear into thin air when the forum decides you were not logged on. Are we the only ones that use the private messaging system? I agree that a notification would be helpful. Not sure how to get around this, but would be fantastic to not have this hassle again! I will repeat your request for help and perhaps, someone will help!
    Suzy Que

Comment

Yes, it happened to me once too, but only once. It was frustrating! Sorry it happened to you too. Hugs, Jan
      Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Well you can add me to that list as well, I assumed it was my internet security settings that was timing me out but perhaps not. It's been doing it for some time now.
        Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

Hi Sandy
          I feel your frustration. I would think that there could be a notice about session timing out as well. One thing I have resorted to doing when I am having a time finishing a post or reply is before I click post is to copy myself and then if it doesn't take, I can paste it. That works as long as I remember to do that!
          Still, it is a aggravating factor in my play time here.
          Sewing mends the soul.
          sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
          Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
          ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

I have also experienced that. There is a 'Contact Us' button down at the bottom of this page where you can provide feedback. Perhaps you could use that to report the problem. Personally I do not see a need to automatically log out (or force signing back in) after any amount of idle time (from the forum server software's perspective you are being idle in that you are not requesting a page from it while you type out your message. Obviously you are not actually being idle ). A user should remain logged in until they close their browser.

The next time it happens to me, I will also use the Contact Us link. Maybe that "feature" can be removed (or at least lengthened to an hour or so) if enough people request it.
            --
            Mrs. Simmons

sigpic

Comment

hmmm..I have not had this problem....but this sounds like a job for the YSGLCG!!
              Michele

Comment

Sorry gang, I didn't know this was going on, so I'm glad you all brought it up.

Let me make some tweaks and see if we can fix it. Keep posting here if the issue continues please!

And if you could tell me about how long it is taking to time out? Is it logging you out?

Comment

Yes it logs out, you can be typing away with no indication of a problem then when you go to preview or submit you get the message "you need to be logged in to use this function" or something similar. Sometimes I get away with hitting the 'log in' and sometimes I lose the typing, mostly it is ok. One time it posted the post twice, not sure why, maybe it logged me out at the precise moment I hit the button so it posted but told me I had to log in so then it posted again when I logged in.
                  Hope this helps, I've never timed how long it take, I doubt you could as there is no indication that it has happened, but it is usually when typing longer posts.
                  Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

I don't know what you have done but that seems to be an improvement, I have posted without problems and joy oh joy, I can close the screen and not have to go through the entire log in process everytime. And I can leave it open and click 'new posts' later and still be logged in...lovely, thankyou.
                    Lynn

Comment

Bill, THANKS for your help. I got a message from Sarah that Al had increased the automatic log-off time. We truly appreciate your attention to this!!!

Thanks again.
                      Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                      it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

That was happening to me ,also, tho on other sites. I found out the problem wasn't with the site or how long it took me to do something, It was with my computer. I was completely frustrated until I got help. It tuned out that my wireless modem was falling off the printer stand and leaning against the wall all cock-eyed. When I set it upright it quit timing me out. I guess it was losing the connection. I felt really stupid, but I learned a lot from my mistake. I am not very good at this computer stuff! I bet the problem is with your computer even if it is not exactly the same cause as mine was.

Comment

I got timed out a long time ago but it seemed that I was typing too much. So ever since then, I just hit the 'go advanced' button and it hasn't happened since. Don't know if this would have helped anyone or not.

Hugs,
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
                          http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
                          http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

Working...
                          X