Hi it's Mia again........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi it's Mia again........

My old Kenmore sewing machine is on it's last leg..... would you please share your thoughts on a great replacement? Thanks so much
    ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
    Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
    (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Re: Hi it's Mia again........

Mia - it depends on how much money you want to spend. I started with a Brother from Walmart for about $50 while it was on sale. Just the basic machine but I was able to cover my feed dogs and get a free motion foot for it too. It has served me well over the last 16 years and am still using it. I do not do very well with something that has lots of bells and whistles on it, so this was a good one to start with. Jan says that she got one from Walmart for $299. on sale that was a Brother and I'm sure that hers does more than mine does.

Or you could spend lots and get a longarm with a sewing machine and we could all come visit you and quilt our quilts on it! Just let us know when you are up and ready for the influx of visitors. haha!

If you would spend more money say, around $400 and up to whatever cause they can run into the thousands - I would go to a shop that sells different brands and try them out. If you do get one from a shop, they usually service them there too. And - they usually have classes on how to use all those bells and whistles.

Hope this helps a little.

Hugs,
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
    http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
    http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

Thank you so much .... and yes it does help. I'm thinking 4 hundred.... so I'll take your advice and go shopping next week. Wish me luck....
      ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
      Mia

Comment

I have a few sewing machines. If I had to save only one , it would be my Pfaff. My Brother embroidery machine comes in a close second. Shop around for the machine that lends itself to your favorite type of sewing. Mine must have .... needle that threads itself, needle down, large throat, multi- functional.

Comment

I definitely agree that shopping around is your best bet. I tested out quite a few before I decided on my Brother. I would hit a few sewing stores and test drive a every single one in and around your price range to see what you like and don't like about each of them. I would also have a list of "must haves" and "don't cares" so that you know what is a deal breaker and what is negotiable on the final product.
          Michele

Comment

I bought a singer confidence quilter for $299.00 marked down from $399.00. I am very happy with it and it has a few bells. You get a walking foot with it and the free motion ft., a buttonhole maker, and the extra wide worktable with it plus other feet. Oh yes a 1/4 inch foot. How could I leave that out!!??!! I use mine all the time. I didn't have a ton of money to spend but for what I paid I'm really happy with it. At least it was new with a warranty on it and they do have a guy that comes in to deep clean them and if anything goes wrong fixes them. So, I feel for now it was a good deal while I save up for my "dream machine". Hugs, Jan L.
            Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Thanks again.... Those are great suggestions and I will definitely shop around.
              ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
              Mia

Comment

Working...
              X