Seriously Disappointed in Order Handling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seriously Disappointed in Order Handling

Back on December 11th I placed an order for a Christmas themed jelly roll. I saw it available on a competitor's site but I like to give my business to MSQ and earn free points. I even visited their town last year and have been a loyal customer for a long time.

I knew from the forums that there had been some delays with ordering so I just thought I would be patient and wait. Last week I received an e-mail saying my order had shipped - yippee! Nothing like receiving fabric in the mail to start the new year right! Got home from work yesterday and saw a small envelope on the table, it was obvious there could not be a jelly roll in there. I opened the envelope and a tiny cheap plastic tape measure fell out. There was also a packing slip that listed the tape measure and nothing else. It said tape measure price $0 and order total $35.95 plus $5 shipping. I never ordered a tape measure and figured it was some kind of freeby they meant to send along with the jelly roll?

I called customer service to find out where my jelly roll was. It took 5+ minutes to get to talk to a live person. The girl looked up my order and agreed it seemed odd. After doing more research she then said the jelly roll I ordered was now out of stock and there was no way I would be receiving it as they never reorder Christmas stock. Then she said nothing. Dead silence on the line. I had to ask if they were going to refund my money. She said they could do that and said $35.95 would be refunded in 3-5 business days to my card. I then asked about the $5 shipping for the jelly roll I didn't receive and she said, 'oh, okay'. That is now being refunded separately as she didn't include it in the first $35.95 refund.

I understand things happen. Besides the obligatory complaint of I picked out this jelly roll for my grandson and had the opportunity to purchase it elsewhere. If there was a quantity inventory issue, that should have been addressed IN DECEMBER when I might have had the opportunity to find another one. I'm not happy about it but I will get over not owning this jelly roll. MSQ should have communicated that much sooner though.

The two biggest issues I have are, number one, I received an e-mail saying my order had been shipped. Why in the world would anyone ship out a trinket tape measure WITHOUT THE JELLYROLL and no explanation inside? A person, not a robot, put that tape measure in the envelope and I can't for the life of me figure out what they were thinking. If I wouldn't have called would I have ever received a refund? This is just poor customer service that goes beyond an inventory issue.

Number two, and probably what bothers me most, was the non-helpful attitude of the person on the phone. Basically what I got was 'well that's odd, too bad, you're screwed'. Those are not her words, she did actually say sorry once but her deadpan voice was relaying the screwed part loud and clear. As a customer, when there is an obvious problem with my order what I expect to hear is what you are going to do to help me fix it. I didn't get that at all.

Okay, I've written a book here. You get the idea. I will no longer be ordering from Missouri Star Quilt Company, no matter what inventory system they are using, until I am convinced their customer service has improved. I am seriously disappointed in what they did and how they handled it once I brought it to their attention.
    :icon_happy: Don't worry, be scrappy!

Re: Seriously Disappointed in Order Handling

Wow that is terrible customer service and certainly what I would NOT expect from Missouri Star! I don't blame you for being so upset. I haven't ordered from them since about November. It seems like since Thanksgiving everything I want has that band across the thumbnail photo of the item with those dreaded words, out of stock. Maybe they should stop expanding. Do you think they are getting too big for their britches?

Comment

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
      Wow that is terrible customer service and certainly what I would NOT expect from Missouri Star! I don't blame you for being so upset. I haven't ordered from them since about November. It seems like since Thanksgiving everything I want has that band across the thumbnail photo of the item with those dreaded words, out of stock.
      I agree with you even if it was one minute passed midnight!

Comment

That is a very bad experience. I also have tried ordering from them after seeing a video tutorial and the stock has been depleted within a couple of days. I think they have grown way past their ability to keep up with demand. The next thing that is going to happen is they will be bought by a mega company since they are not able to keep it all in house. I cannot imagine the nightmare that they are experiencing trying to keep up with demand.
        Trisha
        Coram Deo

Comment

Its even being discussed now on other forums.
          TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

I placed an order on 17 October for fabric yardage. It ended up being backordered. It came in....and then backordered again. I understand these things happen. I finally got it last week.....in a too small box, unwrapped. No plastic, nothing. I'm thankful it was freezing out. If it came today, we are having snow melt down.

The thing that really gets me is that my credit card was charged 17 October.
            In a perfect world, and almost all sites do, you're not charged until it ships. Over 2 months with my $ and nothing to show for it. Not a good thing.

Like others here, I'm sure hoping that this "new system" is running soon.......REAL SOON!
            Last edited by Star lover; January 9th, 2018, 10:58 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

I haven't ordered from them in a few months because of this.

I would be really angry if that happened to me. They screwed up several times on your transaction. Poor communication in the initial shipping notice, stupid shipping (who would ship a freebie without the actual product? and not follow up with a reason?), and then the unhelpful customer service rep. How very sad.

I think this is either because they have grown too large and the CEO's aren't family and not concerned with their customers.

Comment

My mom had a similar experience. She ordered enough precuts to qualify for a 10-yd of white fabric freebie they were doing (I think it was Cyber Monday?). Anyway, after over a month of waiting, she got an email saying that her order was unable to be filled and they would be refunding her money. No real explanation of why it took them over a month to figure out they couldn't ship her order, and no, she didn't get the promotional freebie she had qualified for either. They did give her the quilter's cash for the order, but still... She did call and talk to customer service, and all she got back was that the rep agreed that a month was a long time to wait.

Comment

Hmmmm. I may have to rethink ordering anything from M*. It's sad to hear these complaints.

Comment

Originally posted by snippet View Post
                    I haven't ordered from them in a few months because of this.

I would be really angry if that happened to me. They screwed up several times on your transaction. Poor communication in the initial shipping notice, stupid shipping (who would ship a freebie without the actual product? and not follow up with a reason?), and then the unhelpful customer service rep. How very sad.

I think this is either because they have grown too large and the CEO's aren't family and not concerned with their customers.
                    I think maybe too it being such a small town they are having problems finding dedicated hired help. I haven't ordered from them for quite a while but in the past I never had any bad experiences. Customer Service is #1 for me. I expect respect and ability to help with an order question. So far I've never had any problems but for other people I sure hope they can get it all straightened out so they don't go back where they started from.
                    sigpicLinda :icon_wave:

Comment

Reading this, my first thought is to ask you all to be patient and allow M* to work out their growing pain problems. This is too wonderful a company for us to inadvertently be a partner to bringing them down.
                      Kandee, I also think that customer service issue was handled badly. At least you did get a refund, though. That's good.

I haven't ordered from them lately because I haven't really needed anything, and the daily specials have not been something that really grabbed me. Hmmm. Maybe I'll go peruse their sales items again.

Comment

I love M*. But, on a large Facebook group to which I belong, there have been complaints about the turnaround time with orders. It makes me think twice about ordering something I need.

Jeannette

Comment

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
                          Wow that is terrible customer service and certainly what I would NOT expect from Missouri Star! I don't blame you for being so upset. I haven't ordered from them since about November. It seems like since Thanksgiving everything I want has that band across the thumbnail photo of the item with those dreaded words, out of stock. Maybe they should stop expanding. Do you think they are getting too big for their britches?
                          I have kind of wondered if they have grown too big too fast also.

Comment

Kandee-

I'm so sorry about this- it's absolutely the opposite of the experience that we are striving for. You deserve better from us. If you would email me at [email protected], I would appreciate getting the name of the customer service agent so that we can work on the attitude issues that you described. Also, I would like to look up your order and see what we can do.

Also, I appreciate the details that you shared about how your order was handled. Those details are a good example to help us fix some processes. I wanted to give you a couple of details about what happened though.

Our new system went in around early November. This has been years in the making, and overall, we still are confident that it will be a short term pain - long term gain, situation. That said, the number of issues that came up in the transition were more that we imagined, even though we prepared for over a year to have it be a smooth transition. We ended up with a whole bunch of orders where the details got mixed up in the system. So, even with the best tireless efforts of our shipping and cutting teams, many mistakes were made.

I know this detail doesn't make what happened with your order right, but I just want you to know that even though this was a terrible experience, we care more than ever about treating our customers right. In that spirit, again, please reach out to me and i will see what I can do.

Comment

I'm wondering that if Kandee didn't bring this up on the forum, which a lot of members don't like to see because of loyalty to M*,how was she to get help? Does she ask for a different person or a supervisor? This does seem as one of the worse stories I've heard so far.
                              🌺 Lorie

Comment

Working...
                              X