Seriously Disappointed in Order Handling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Seriously Disappointed in Order Handling

I would love to know when my order will be shipped.... the customer service really wasn’t sure.... ummm in the new system I thought you couldn’t order anything if it wasn’t in stock.... and everything I ordered WAS in stock.... and now it’s not?

Like I said in the survey after my call.... bring in enough people to get all the outstanding orders out and get caught up!

And WHY oh WHY would you put in a new system right before the busy holiday season??? Where is your common sense?

Thank you for your time....

Comment

I just received notice (from my wishlist) that a backordered item from August is back in stock -- hopefully that order will finally be completed after several false starts this fall. I will be calling CS shortly...

Comment

As soon as I saw today's DD, I thought "Whelp, they got me!" So, I finally splurged on that and some things from my wish list, including yardage. I've got plenty of projects to keep me busy right now, but it'll be interesting to see how the new system works and how fast the order gets processed.

Comment

Originally posted by Maggisews View Post

Like I said in the survey after my call.... bring in enough people to get all the outstanding orders out and get caught up!

Since I am not working now, I contacted them about working there temporarily to help until they got things caught up. I would have been willing to move for a few months to do so. They wrote back to me and said "No. We are only hiring fulltime permanent employees."

Comment

Or they could move people around and get that fabric cut and out the door to customers! Surely they have enough employees to help get caught up!!

I ordered in Nov. and that order was cancelled by them.... and no communication to me about it..... my order is still in process... ugh!

Comment

Fabric is a tricky business. Every time you cut from a bolt of fabric for one customer, it changes what you can offer your next customer(s), especially if they want continuous cuts of a certain length. Now imagine you have 10 bolts of Kona Snow to fill 50 orders of varying amounts. And those orders come in at different times or in bunches and somehow you have to keep up to date with how many yards are left as orders keep pouring in.

I don't order fabric online anywhere else as regularly as I do at MSQC. The only other site I've found that compares with their selection is Fat Quarter Shop. FQS ships fast, but my orders there have been small because they're a)more expensive and (b)in my state, so I pay sales tax on top of those higher prices. They do tend to have more choices of yardage in stock to go with their precuts, though. There's a trade off no matter which company you order from.

I will say there are certainly large, online fabric retailers that get it wrong and they've been in the game for years. This company-that-shall-not-be-named has a notoriously awful reputation for fulfilling online orders. Orders arrive whenever, with stuff missing, with fragile items that arrived damaged or smashed because they were tossed loose in a box with no bubble wrap. If you have a problem with your order, you can wait forever on hold for an apathetic and/or rude CS rep to tell you to cancel your order, that it's too late to cancel your order, or there's nothing they can do. This company's warehouses are understaffed and underpaid, turn over is high, so of course inventory management is a nightmare. And yet this company still chugs along because they're "cheap" and their physical stores have little or no local competition.

MSQC is going through growing pains, but at least they aren't soulless, or so about the bottom line that they skimp on labor or product quality. I think it's a good thing that they want to focus on hiring full-time, permanent employees. It takes time and money to train people, even if the job is as seemingly simple as cutting fabric, and a lot of companies lose money and efficiency to high employee turnover.

On a related note - during the Golden Star promotion, some of the mail-in entries I got back came with little hand-written notes saying they liked my decorated envelopes and wished me luck. How sweet is that? I can't think of many companies that maintain that personal touch even while serving thousands of customers. With little extras like that and having someone as genuine and positive as Jenny Doan as their public face, I can't help but want to root for MSQC to succeed.

Comment

Big update. Both of my large, tricky orders have arrived, each cut beautifully and each piece individually wrapped and labeled. There's still one piece of fabric that hasn't shown up, but I got a random tracking number via email so I suspect that will be here soon, too.

I'm planning a special quilt for my 17-yo son with a lot of symbolic value that required 34 different fabrics in cuts ranging from 1/4 y to 3.5 y, so I really put M* through their paces for this. In the time since I placed the first order for all this on Dec. 30, I've also placed orders from two other online shops for things M* didn't carry. The other two shops don't offer 1/4 y cuts, which can be a big factor in a complex project like this. M* has come through with only a minor spasm of growing pains. (Literal growing pains--how about that wee Doan?)

Thank you, Al and M*!

Comment

My order of 12/31 is still marked as "processing". As requested, I pm-ed Al Wed afternoon but haven't heard back yet. I also noticed that the 1 to 2 week delay notice is back on the Daily Deal page so they must still be having problems with their new system. On a good note, the order I placed on 1/16 is scheduled for delivery today!
                  Rescued is my favorite breed.

Comment

Yea!! My August backorder came in and was shipped yesterday afternoon. Also, an order I placed on Tuesday was shipped within a few hours. Things are looking up... Hopefully those items caught in the transition are working through the system -- that can be tricky as they may be going between systems to ensure that old orders are being dealt with as well. Even my LQS is switching POS systems and though they were working on it for months, there were still issues after the go-live. Keep up the good work M* -- it is getting better

Comment

Originally posted by Maggisews View Post
                      I would love to know when my order will be shipped.... the customer service really wasn’t sure.... ummm in the new system I thought you couldn’t order anything if it wasn’t in stock.... and everything I ordered WAS in stock.... and now it’s not?

And WHY oh WHY would you put in a new system right before the busy holiday season??? Where is your common sense?

Maggie, let me peek at the order, if you'd send me your order number.

And the holiday season is our slowest actually, right before Christmas everyone is working on the holidays and not really ordering more fabric, so it's our slowest two weeks of the year. That's to say in theory, this was gonna be perfect

Comment

Originally posted by baskets4deb View Post
                        My order of 12/31 is still marked as "processing". As requested, I pm-ed Al Wed afternoon but haven't heard back yet. I also noticed that the 1 to 2 week delay notice is back on the Daily Deal page so they must still be having problems with their new system. On a good note, the order I placed on 1/16 is scheduled for delivery today!
                        I'm back in the saddle. A quick update, we've figured out where the little tail of orders was, we've got it isolated and are working through those, everything else is moving along pretty well, should another big update for you next week Wednesday.

Comment

Thank you to Bill Nye, Wendy, and Al for helping to resolve my order problem!

Comment

So a positive update on my mom's order - even though the Cyber Monday order itself was cancelled, MSQC shipped her the 10 yards of white fabric bonus! She just got it and is very happy now.

Comment

This happened to my daughter also. The order was canceled with no explanation and money was refunded. Then last week the free 10 yard bolt of fabric (solid white/off white) came with an apology for the canceling of her order. Thought that was good of them....as they really didn't have to do anything.

Comment

This company is one in a million! They have set the bar for customer service very high indeed. For me, it is not so much the fact that things go wrong as it is the way the issues are managed. I have a lot of respect for the way MSQC has been open and honest about their challenges and for the customer focused manner in which they have responded. And while I’m at it a big shout out to Anna McQueen who has been just wonderful in helping me to navigate the mishaps of the last few months.

How exciting to think that I may get that 10 yard bolt of fabric after all, it was a bit disappointing to lose out on that. But I am in Canada, so maybe not. At any rate, I have continued to order from MSQC throughout “the troubles” and will continue to do so.

Comment

Working...
                                X