goldenstar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

goldenstar

I redeemed my $1 quilter cash today. My DD gave me hers because she said she didn't want $1 which forced her to feel like she had to use it at M*. I wasn't allowed to enter multiple numbers this year to save time going to the website. That just didn't make much sense to me.
    My DD said that "they don't need my business any more". They have forgotten who got them where they are. Other companies offer low shipping on smaller orders and free shipping at $49 . She also said that most of the freebees are stuff you neither need nor want and would be stuff you would pick up at a trade show on a table. She doesn't use the forum, so she feels no real connection to the community.
    . My other DD doesn't order from M* because she says she can always find what she is looking for at a better price and the daily deal just doesn't entice her. She likes to buy what she needs for each project and isn't interested in having a bunch of odds and ends hanging around in her limited sewing space. She is a decorator and makes such wonderful things.
    Just thought I would let you know how other , younger quilters (in their 40's) are feeling.
    Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
    Terry

Re: goldenstar

I fully understand how they feel. After learning that the family hired a CEO to run the company, things made a lot more sense to me. I know it makes sense, as they have gotten so large, but at the same time it saddens me. Other things that came out at the retreat didn't make me happy either, but I'm trying to get over it.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I totally understand. I never get a golden card because I just don't order. I have a huge stash and when I need something its usually to match specific color. I don't feel you can get that without seeing in person. $1 off and order is nothing. If they offered free shipping, would be better. I don't want to have to spend $50 to $100 bucks for free shipping when I only need $5 item. I rarely buy a DD because I don't use many precuts. I know they have grown by leaps and bounds in the last few years and I know that means changes .

Having said all that I LOVE this forum as I can get answers quickly to questions or the help searching when I can't find something. The comraderie and support here is wonderful.
      sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
      Time spent with cats is never wasted.
      Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Iris Girl View Post
        I totally understand. I never get a golden card because I just don't order. I have a huge stash and when I need something its usually to match specific color. I don't feel you can get that without seeing in person. $1 off and order is nothing. If they offered free shipping, would be better. I don't want to have to spend $50 to $100 bucks for free shipping when I only need $5 item. I rarely buy a DD because I don't use many precuts. I know they without M* I would not have meant you all.!!!!!!!
        Having said all that I LOVE this forum as I can get answers quickly to questions or the help searching when I can't find something. The comraderie and support here is wonderful.
        I totally agree, that's why when DD asked why I was being so loyal I told her it was the forum. With out M* I would never have met all the friends I have in the past 2 years that are so very important to me
        Terry

Comment

I was also surprised to learn that you could only put in one free $1 ticket per 24 hours... argh! And I do love this forum for learning and sharing.

Comment

I have been feeling the same way. Terry, you are a most loyal member of M* Forum. I get what you are saying and also what some of the other loyal members are saying/feeling. Sometimes "success" can be a curse. Jenny and family have made an empire and I absolutely commend them. But sometimes things get "too big' and possibly are a detriment. I am hoping that M* is watching and reading and heeding the issues we are all talking/posting about. Just thinking, "A word to the Wise!".
            A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

I do understand that growth means change. I also understand that M* is highly touted as a family business. The family friendliness is gradually ebbing and "big business" is raising its head. Maybe the family feels that they are getting sucked under in work and I'm sure they are. Time will tell how they and we deal with it all. I don't order often, just a few times a year so I can combine things for free shipping or order on a free ship day. The forum is the drawing card for me too.

Comment

Couldn't we enter them all at one time in the past? What could be the purpose of limiting their input to once every 24 hours? Also I have received two and neither one could I read very well.

I too love the forum and I look at the DD almost everyday, but I log on to this site because of the forum, the people here and all the beautiful creations, advise ect. I used to see things in the daily deal that I thought I just had to have. I haven't found as many lately.

One thing I love about MSQ is that it is a family business started very simply. I think the love they have for one another shows in their business and I think that added to their success. I hope that touch doesn't get lost as they grow.

Comment

At the expense of knowing this will probably not be a popular opinion, no I don't get it at all. To me it just displays the point to which our society has turned into a society of expected entitlement. It started out as a small family business and kudos to them that they are succeeding. They don't have to give us anything. Not a dollar for our purchases over $25, not a wonderful forum to gripe about them in when our sense of entitlement is hurt and not wonderful free tutorials that have helped all of us for free, or periodic days where we do get free shipping. But that's just my contribution and opinion to this discussion.
                  https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
                  Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

Originally posted by grammaterry View Post
                    I redeemed my $1 quilter cash today. My DD gave me hers because she said she didn't want $1 which forced her to feel like she had to use it at M*. I wasn't allowed to enter multiple numbers this year to save time going to the website. That just didn't make much sense to me.
                    My DD said that "they don't need my business any more". They have forgotten who got them where they are. Other companies offer low shipping on smaller orders and free shipping at $49 . She also said that most of the freebees are stuff you neither need nor want and would be stuff you would pick up at a trade show on a table. She doesn't use the forum, so she feels no real connection to the community.
                    . My other DD doesn't order from M* because she says she can always find what she is looking for at a better price and the daily deal just doesn't entice her. She likes to buy what she needs for each project and isn't interested in having a bunch of odds and ends hanging around in her limited sewing space. She is a decorator and makes such wonderful things.
                    Just thought I would let you know how other , younger quilters (in their 40's) are feeling.
                    While a lot of comments here saddens me as well.....I know from other contests I have entered that this is normally the "norm" you can't turn in more than one "ticket" etc....so I didn't even consider this as an issue. Maybe it is, I don't know. I order from MSQC because I like some of the things they have, they have quality fabric, whereas Jo-Ann's has fabrics that for the most part come from China. ( believe me, I worry about all the "out sourcing " that goes on in this country.....we have a lot of young people who are only employed for 20 hours a week....which means they have no benefits and most of them have to work 2 part-time jobs. So, I don't tend to shop too much at Jo-Ann Fabrics....sure, I go there for patterns etc.....and maybe things I can't find at these mom-pop online fabric stores ( Shabby Chic/Jennifer Bonsworth ) and the like.....I occasionally shop online with Eleanor Burns, etc....and no, I am not positive that ALL the fabric I purchase isn't made in China....but I really try to purchase things made in the USA....( I mean I realize my car isn't completely made in the US...but it was assembled here)

Lastly, my DD is 39 yrs old....and she and a bunch of her friends have no intention of ever owning a sewing machine...period. I think it is the sign of the times...maybe. I would have actually thought that my daughter Mysti Dawn would have loved sewing...but she just isn't interested. I am holding out for my granddaughters....but that might not happen either.

This of course is my opinion.....but I do get it about MSQC....I don't think that any of the family "EVER" thought that by opening up a little store in Hamilton MO was ever going to grow as big as it has......I know from my own parents owning businesses how fast things can multiply, and also how quickly the daily hum-drum of those businesses can be or the fact that my parents started the businesses and then retirement was upon them sooner than they ever imagined and they honestly thought that we girls would step in and continue what they started.....but it didn't happen....the business was sold not too long after mom died, and I am thrilled that it was sold.
                    So, hopefully there won't be too many "noticeable " changes within MSQC.....and if there is, maybe change is a good thing...you never know.
                    Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
                    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

A few nibbles of food for thought.

When you run bigger and bigger promotions (which the Golden Star promo is our biggest all year) you get people that start to try and abuse the system, so a lot of the safeguards that get put in place are to curb the abuse. Is it an inconvenience, sure it is, did we lose thousands of dollars to abuse last year, sure we did. We're meeting in the middle here with some of these.

We certainly struggle with marketing and keeping our message about family. We try and do promotions like this to make them fun for customers to shop with us and interact, Mom can't be everywhere and in every promo, so hiring people to help run stuff is always a risk and never quite how it would be if we were in there clicking each button ourselves, but you gotta admit they do a pretty bang up job. Not perfect, but I am so proud of the work that they do.

@grammaterry, what did we forget? What did we used to do that we don't that says we're too big for our britches? Just curious if it's something we can fix or if it's more ambiguous than that?

Comment

I'm replying from a different corner (and opinion). The young ladies mentioned above certainly have their choice of where to shop. It's all about choices.

Love the forum and do most all of my shopping right here. Easy to click, and check-out. I don't even have to get in my wagon and find my way through the store and check-out. Convenient for those with limited time and perhaps if someone has mobility issues.

My stash was mostly built one DD at a time and including the shipping was still a savings. The shipping fee is quite reasonable and I will gladly pay it to save time/gas. Again choices that work for me.

If I don't need/want the freebies they are passed along to a newbie or donated to the gift basket for our year-end event.

Sew... just a different point of view...enjoy stitching!

Comment

I'm interested in the changes Bubba heard about at the retreat. It sounds like they weren't changes for the good.

I understand growing businesses have growing pains and even with a big family like the Doan's there's no way someone in their family is qualified to fill every position. Al never wanted to be the CEO of a big company. He's said several times he likes the computer, internet and the start up process. When a business grows, you need an HR department, unless you've gone to school or have experience, you can't just jump into that position. It's the same with web design, shipping, logistics, etc. Of course they are going to have to hire outside people with experience and education.

My hope is they always remember and hire people who share their vision, not just look out for the bottom dollar.

I for one love M*, enjoy the forum and go to Hamilton a couple times a year.
                          Lori

http://sewtimeforme.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by BillNye View Post
                            A few nibbles of food for thought.

When you run bigger and bigger promotions (which the Golden Star promo is our biggest all year) you get people that start to try and abuse the system, so a lot of the safeguards that get put in place are to curb the abuse. Is it an inconvenience, sure it is, did we lose thousands of dollars to abuse last year, sure we did. We're meeting in the middle here with some of these.

We certainly struggle with marketing and keeping our message about family. We try and do promotions like this to make them fun for customers to shop with us and interact, Mom can't be everywhere and in every promo, so hiring people to help run stuff is always a risk and never quite how it would be if we were in there clicking each button ourselves, but you gotta admit they do a pretty bang up job. Not perfect, but I am so proud of the work that they do.

@grammaterry, what did we forget? What did we used to do that we don't that says we're too big for our britches? Just curious if it's something we can fix or if it's more ambiguous than that?
                            Oh my, looks like I opened a hornets nest! Please note that these negatives were from my DD's. I love M*. I am a really loyal customer and my reasons for loyalty started with your back story. I was so impressed and I tell everyone that will listen about the American Dream that does come true. My experiences with the tutorials were life (quilting life) changing and broadened my ability to make a better product. The forum has made me a place in the on line social community where I don't feel alone living in such a remote part of the country. I live so far from a fabric store, M* has enabled me to shop and dream. And, customer service is wonderful...I've had a couple of glitches in my orders and they have been fixed immediately. I don't shop anywhere else except for batting. I love the quality of the fabric I receive from M*. I really dislike the service at JOANNS (the only shop within 50 miles of me with the exception of Walmart which I've never checked out). I drove 70 miles to a Hobby Lobby because I had a gift certificate and couldn't find a thing I would sew with other than some wide backing.
                            So, please don't think I was complaining. I love everything about M*.
                            And, ladies....the goldenstar is very faint but a magnifying glass solves the problem. We are all getting older...lol
                            Terry

Comment

I love the opportunities that M* affords to its customers...DD, Quilter's cash, etc. The Golden Star contest is like getting to holler out "Bingo!" There's nothing better than being rewarded, no matter how large or small. It takes very little for me to get excited, though, when it comes to contests. I'm in my 30s, a tad old fashioned, yet I still enjoy the modern conveniences. I try not to make an issue about the evolutionary process of the retail world. M* feels like a LQS to me, even though I'm several states away. I live near a Hobby Lobby, WalMart, and Joanns. I still get a more personal experience from M*.

Comment

Working...
                              X