Moderators, are you listening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moderators, are you listening

Yesterday there was a post about spam and several ideas to correct the problem
    Perhaps if you all got your heads together and discussed some of our ideas we might be able to eliminate some of these spam posts.
    Just deleting them doesn't seem to be the answer although, we don't know how many of them you catch before they get to us.
    Perhaps you could get a round table discussion amongst yourselves and some valued forum members and come up with a solution.
    I have 4 pages of spam on my new topics that I have to go thru in order to get to my forum friends.
    success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
    Terry of NC

Mods are just unpaid volunteers and have no say in the matter.And it seems the "powers that be" who run this place don't care, as there really ARE several simple fixes for the problem if they were willing to pay a few bucks for someone with actual tech knowledge. This being an example of how they care for their website makes me not shop here anymore, wondering how sloppy the REST of their security is.
    She who dies with the most quilts is......
    Still dead.
    What's your hurry?

Comment

I try to flag some when I see they are creeping in. That's all we can do. Spammers are everywhere, we just need to be careful not to click on the links.
      Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

Thank you volunteer moderators! You do an awesome job giving your time to this forum. All though it's not perfect this is the best place on the internet that quilters can come to gather and share, so thank you MSQ for providing us a place to gather.
        Teresa
        Pelham, Alabama
        War Eagle!!!

Comment

OK - I just discovered a new group -- and its all about movies -- there are 30 posts in there -- all SPAM. You cannot flag any of them unless you join the group, which I wont -- as a precaution.
          I HOPE THIS CAN BE REMOVED QUICKLY. THANKS.
          Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

amazing about the new group being formed. These spammers are sneaky devils. I certainly am not complaining about our moderators as I believe they do an excellent job. I was only trying to find a way that this might be slowed down a bit.
          success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
          Terry of NC

Comment

• K. McEuen
            K. McEuen
            Super Moderator
            K. McEuen commented
            Editing a comment
            Contact BillNye. This isn't anything that I can fix. An administrator has to do it

I am truly grateful for our moderators. They do their best to keep this forum a safe place to be. Thank you all very much
          Karen
          Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Originally posted by auntstuff View Post
            Mods are just unpaid volunteers and have no say in the matter.And it seems the "powers that be" who run this place don't care, as there really ARE several simple fixes for the problem if they were willing to pay a few bucks for someone with actual tech knowledge. This being an example of how they care for their website makes me not shop here anymore, wondering how sloppy the REST of their security is.
            With your constant criticism of this forum and the company that generously continues to host it, auntstuff, I wonder why you continue to hang out here. Perhaps it's not so bad after all.

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
              SuzanneOrleansOntario
              SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow -- I really don't like where these conversations are going. We may not all agree on issues of the day and the way we express ourselves may sound critical. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, at least here -- there should be more tolerance. How else is our world ever going to change.

• Hillbillyhike
              Hillbillyhike
              Hillbillyhike commented
              Editing a comment
              You're right, Suzanne, the world needs more tolerance...and kindness. But if we keep tolerating and accepting unkindness, nastiness, bullying, harassment, and other bad behavior, the world will never get better...only worse. Should constant unkind behavior against M* and its employees be tolerated? Against our forum members? I don't think so. And that's my opinion.
              Hillbillyhike
              Last edited by Hillbillyhike; December 3, 2021, 08:24 AM.

• MSN
              MSN
              MSN commented
              Editing a comment
              Auntstuff, I ask you to please re-read my posting. I never told you where you can hang out, I just questioned why you would choose to remain in a place that makes you so unhappy. As for "the truth," well, I think we can each have our own perspective. My "truth" is that all your complaining here has changed exactly nothing. A lot of wasted energy, in my opinion.

Suzanne and Heike, I absolutely agree with you about the need for civility and respect. I've been around this forum long enough to recall a previous member being banned from the forum because of repeated bad behavior here. Truly sad.
              MSN
              Last edited by MSN; December 13, 2021, 07:41 PM.

I am also tired of people's constant complaints about MSQC. If it's not about spam, it's about the slow delivery. As I've said before, we don't know all that goes on behind the scenes of a fast growing business during a pandemic. I'm sure they are doing their best during these difficult times. And no, I'm sure this forum is not a priority and likely not as important to them as it it to us. There are other more modern social media out there to keep up with. Runing their business smoothly has to be their priority. And why would they make this forum a priority when it is full of complaints and bad mouthing against them all the time. Perhaps the complainers could become helpers. More moderators so Karen doesn't have to work so hard to keep us safe and she can spend her time posting and enjoying this forum instead.

I am ever so grateful to MSQC, for this forum, and the wonderful friends I have made. For me this is invaluable. I have gained and learned so much in this year I'vebeen on here. I put up with the spam and complaints because of this. I would pay a small fee to keep this forum running smoothly. I would hate to lose it, and frankly am surprised it stil exists. I believe Karen and the other volunteer moderators should be paid, or at least be compensated in some way for all their hard work. They definitely should be listened to. Thank you Karen, other mods, and MSQC for keeping our wonderful group running!
            Hillbillyhike
            Last edited by Hillbillyhike; November 30, 2021, 02:26 AM.
            Hike ~ BC, Canada

Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

• grammaterry
              grammaterry
              grammaterry commented
              Editing a comment
              couldn't have said it better

• Claire Hallman
              Claire Hallman
              Claire Hallman commented
              Editing a comment
              I also think that charging a nominal yearly fee would cut out the spammers, I would gladly pay something to stop them.

• grammaterry
              grammaterry
              grammaterry commented
              Editing a comment
              I am definitely in favor of a pay to play forum. I feel guilty that I don't need any fabric and don't buy much anymore from M* yet I take advantage of this wonderful forum

Is it possible or practical to make it so members can delete spam when we find it instead of flagging it and waiting for the mods? They must be swamped with this spam nonsense. Another idea would be "Spam Mods." I would be happy to be one. Just give Spam Mods the ability to delete spam posts. They seem to be posted overnight (US time) and I'm up by 4AM Central and would be glad to play Whack the Troll.

Comment

again, please, please do something about spammers here!!!! seriously. if other sites can do more, so can this one. Please. I'm so tired of trying to remember who to contact. there is no one to look up or how to look them up. sigh.

Comment

Mods have no authority to do anything but remove it when it happens. However if M* actually had a decent IT person, this wouldn't be happening. No, this is NOT my first, nor only, forum.
              She who dies with the most quilts is......
              Still dead.
              What's your hurry?

Comment

It has been a really bad day for spammers. I was on here late last night around ten or so (MST) and all this spam was already there then.

It would help, at least until it's cleared, if no one clicked on those threads so that the 'real' threads could remain on the top of the list and we don't have to search for them amongst the spam.
                Maria
                Alberta, Canada

Comment

• nativetexan
                  nativetexan
                  nativetexan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  yes, i stopped opening them at all. i did try clicking on the poster and reporting them but am tired of doing even that. Whom ever is running this online site needs to step up. Otherwise i will definitely feel the family no longer cares for it's customers or forum members.

• auntstuff
                  auntstuff
                  auntstuff commented
                  Editing a comment
                  They obviously care for nothing but your money

HELLO MSQC IS ANYBODY LISTENING TO US? This spam is really getting ridiculous and I second what auntstuff said: if other forums can control this then you can too. IF YOU CARED.

Comment

Aaaand the holidays are officially over. Lol! The peace and positivity around here was nice while it lasted. 😁
                  Hike ~ BC, Canada

Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

• nativetexan
                    nativetexan
                    nativetexan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well, sorry it's just our poor forum. Sad for such computer geeks we have who can't help. I certainly do appreciate anyone who can be of help when we have problems like this. anybody would do. kids maybe, they are probably brighter and would have fun doing something. computers and I don't do well. i bare them and they bare me. so far, so good. except in things like spam of course. I will be good now.
                    chastise taken to heart.

• jjkaiser
                    jjkaiser
                    jjkaiser commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Um that was kind of rude to imply we are all getting snarky now that the holidays are over. That is just not true. There is nothing wrong with venting on this particular thread. Since M set the forum up in this way, we would hope/expect a thread pointed to the attention of the moderators would get noticed by people in charge who have the authority to make some needed changes. I am not taking your comment personally but hope you can see the big picture here.
                Working...
                X