Canadian Shipping increased again -- Argg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canadian Shipping increased again -- Argg

I know this has happened twice in recent times. I looked up my history and I seem to order 10-14 times per year. Didn't think I ordered that often. I used to love the $5 discount on international shipping when it was $10. Then it increased to $12 during the pandemic, still not too bad as I use the Quilters Cash to offset these costs.

I have had a bunch of items in my Wishlist, checking it for sale. Today, being one of those special days, these items were also on sale, so I ordered many of them as they will be for a family activity in December. Well when I checked out, the shipping cost has now risen to $20US. This is rough equivalent of $25Cdn. I would have put items back, but I really want these and the discounted price again offset these.

I am upset that this wasn't flagged anywhere on their site or newsfeed that I can see. Since they have everyone's previous ordering history and country of origin, it would be nice to receive a notification.

Now to wait and see on the delivery of these items.
    Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

That’s a steep increase. Our US Postal Service just initiated a rather large rate hike, I believe it was the first of September. Part of the increase you are encountering may be due to this.
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

blue forest snowman.jpg '
      I stopped ordering when I saw the increase a few weeks ago. Thats almost $35 Canadian per order. If I had a choice I would ask to have it sent regualr mail but the covid frenzy of order now and get it tomorrow has made my shopping online with MSQC a thing of the past. How I loved seeing an MSQC box being delivered. Nothing I order is so important it needs to be here tomorrow. I saw nice charm packs on the daily deal a few days ago and actually put them in cart until I remember that $12 for charm packs will cost me a total of $47. I cleared the cart
      The good news is I have enough stashed in sewing room that shopping is not an essential thing. The local fabric store has a sale of fabrics on for $6 a yard here so I can go there and do up my own charm packs if need be. Now that Jack is quilting and loving it, he plans to make use of my stuff, I need him to go get stuff that talks to him. He's making his own quilt of valor and surprisingly he loves the calm quiet of sewing.
      Truth is I just like to get out of house , shake off the cabin fever and look at the pretty Christmas fabric. I could recharge my batteries with a sunny drive to the fabric store looking at new fallen snow along the way. A chocolate twist cone from the dairy on the way home is a perk as well.

Comment

• Mary Lynn
        Mary Lynn commented
        Editing a comment
        Love those cones too!

• TMP
        TMP commented
        Editing a comment
        That is a lot for a charm pack.

I hadn’t heard anything about this latest price increase. I haven’t ordered since spring. The $10 rate was ok if the order was large enough but it used to take weeks to arrive. I won’t be placing orders at $25. Too much in my estimation.
      Mary Lynn Ontario Canada

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
        SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
        Editing a comment
        It crept up from $10 to $12 this year, which I didn't think was too bad, since I do receive my order in a reasonable amount of time, once it is processed at M*. Getting order to ship is the longest, and I am not ordering fabrics, its items.

I received an email last month about the increase. Your right, Suzanne, it is about $25CDN (lucky for us, the exchange rate is a little better right now). Still, I find that the price of fabric per meter here is still more expensive than paying US price per yard plus shipping in many cases.

Obviously, I wouldn’t buy one yard of fabric and expect it to be less but when you factor in a few pieces of fabric and another item or two, I’m still saving money compared to any local shop near me. I can rarely find anything on sale in any LQS here! They are happier keeping fabric on the shelves for years than selling it at a reduced price.

According to my DH who worked for Canada Post for 34 years, the price to ship to Canada is very high from almost every place in the world.
      Maria
      Alberta, Canada

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
        Editing a comment
        I may have missed that email -- but it was quite the jump from $12 to $20. Even on free shipping, that is only $5. off.
        I agree a lot of the newer fabrics here can be upwards of $26-28. I usually don't buy much fabric, its items and books. Last order was the Oliso iron and 2 books. If i can't get the fabric here, or plan to buy a lot from a collection, it is cheaper to buy on-line, even with exchange. Maybe this is a good way to work my stash.

Suzanne that is sad news for me because until now it was difficult to assume the cost of transportation, and now it will be impossible, my las order cost $20 because it was a half price shipping day but I was already paying $40 for each package

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
        Hillbillyhike commented
        Editing a comment
        That is so much!

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
        Editing a comment
        That is so sad the high shipping cost. I guess the good thing would be to have the largest order possible, as the cost is fixed. Do you have access to reasonably priced fabrics and notions?

I noticed that on my last order. I will have to only put in big orders once in a while now and include the Daily Deal, which I usually wait for good one to do.
      Hike ~ BC, Canada

Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
        Editing a comment
        I set up a Wishlist called Next to Order. I put those in there. And when I do want a particular daily item (which is not often) I put all those items in the order. After reviewing my history since pandemic, it seems that I have doubled the number of orders that I place on-line.

I did see that email a while back. Yes we have to be mindful of shipping charges when ordering from the US. If I see something I want, I usually convert the $$ to CAD to see just how much it will cost.
      Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Oh my goodness, I am so frugal and I hate paying any shipping. I look for sites that will give me free shipping if I place a large enough order. I just bought that wool backing from Fabric.com and added in a few more things to bring it up to the $49 free shipping requirement. I know its hard for companies to absorb the cost of shipping but I also know that they get discounts for using carriers (even postoffice) that individuals don't get. Perhaps M* should look into this.
        success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
        Terry of NC

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
          Editing a comment
          I used to order from Connecting Threads when I was setting up my sewing room, threads, tools, etc. They had free shipping to Canada for $75 orders. Now it's $85, but I find I have less need for thread and fabrics, as that is full stash. I did like their non-fiction books, but now M* carries the one I like, but they are never on sale.
          Our orders come by Fedex International shipping which is very fast. 2 days once it leaves the warehouse.
          It's getting the order filled and ready for shipping that seems to be taking the longest.

• Maria Sews
          Maria Sews commented
          Editing a comment
          Free shipping would be nice but, at places that will give it to us, you have to spend quite a bit to get it. For example, at the Fat Quarter Shop you have to spend at least $200 to get free shipping. Many places don't even offer free shipping to us.

• Hillbillyhike
          Hillbillyhike commented
          Editing a comment
          I had to pay quite a bit ...$40 and $60 ... for customs fees from Fat Quarter Shop and others. So the free shipping isn't really free. With M* they pay, so it's still far less.

Suzanne the idea of a larger order is not possible because if the package weighs more than 3Kg. it has a customs surchange, and she already knows that the fabrics are heavy, so that is not a solution. I have been shopping in England they have good fabrics including some Americans and the postage was very low, but since Brexit things are bad and they still do not send abroad and now we are foreigners. As you see my problems increase, although I still have a good stash and I can do a lot of things but what I don't have is wadding, I like Drean Wool because it look very nice with the quilting by hand, so I have to find a nearby store that I took it

Comment

So I see the delema with shipping internationally but are there no canadian fabric outlets? And maybe this would be a great opportunity for someone.
          Terry of NC

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
            Editing a comment
            Yes there are a lot of on-line shops, many offer free shipping with purchases anywhere from $100 to $200. The issue is that many shops carry certain lines and you don't get all you want from one shop -- so purchasing from many shops to get what you want. Also current fabrics are selling for over $20Cdn. Sure you find some deals $10 to 15, but again they don't have all the other items you want. I do order my batting from a BC company, and I can get all my Kona from a local and on-line shop for $10/ydCdn. They sell by the yard as they ship to US. I can either pick it up or have sent to house. I do shop a lot at LQS, but prices are high generally and have increased a lot during pandemic.

• Hillbillyhike
            Hillbillyhike commented
            Editing a comment
            I find the cheaper fabrics here not as pretty or good of a quality in the fabric shops. In quilt shops they are very expensive.

sometimes we forget how good we have it. Our economy is certainly changing with the pandemic and I fear what we may be in for. DH found the Juki on line for $899 at Overstock and when he went back 2 days later it had gone to $999. I think that pushed him into purchasing so long before Christmas. Things are just not stable right now. I feel like I've been hoarding food when I buy and stock up because I know it wont' get cheaper. Kona yardage has disappeared locally around here and been replaced at the stores (I've checked 4) with a much inferior product. They say they aren't getting it any more.
          Terry of NC

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
            Editing a comment
            If you are looking for Kona solids -- check out Mad about Patchwork. For us it's local, but they started their business on-line, and do quite well. They carry all the Kona solids plus a lot of other beautiful fabrics. They sell fabric by the yard (rather than Cdn - metre), and they do ship to US. Today- black Friday, all Kona's are 10% off. So $9Cdn -- a lot less if you do conversion to US dollars. You might want to do the math.
            I think the price of cotton fabric manufacturing was on the rise before the pandemic and this has to do with world labor costs and availability of raw materials and manpower in certain parts of the world. The pandemic made it worse as many of these manufacturers off-continent were severely hit with Covid. Also the increase in people taking up hobbies during the pandemic has meant that DSM and all of this is in short supply. If I look at personal situation, we decided to buy a LA at the beginning of the pandemic to keep us fully entertained. I think a lot of folks will continue with these hobbies after this is truly over.

Suzanne you make a good point about people finding things to entertain themselves. Fortunately our life really didn't change with the pandemic in either of our chosen homes. We were not truly aware it was happening except from the constant barrage of news media cramming it down our throats. We only had one store that asked us if we wouldn't like to wear a mask and the walmart was handing out paper masks if we chose to use them. The only covid in our coastal county seemed to be from the prison and a few second homers who came. We hear that the mountain area had a big surge of covid but we were not here.
          Terry of NC

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
            Editing a comment
            You were lucky. We had several lockdowns that lasted awhile, and re-entry was slow and limited in numbers of persons gathering. Masks were mandatory from the beginning, meaning cover nose, mouth chin. But honestly many were wearing flimsy scarfs not fully covered, which was total ineffective. I trust and look back on history, and the 1918-20 pandemic was my earliest comparison to how long it lasted and why it spread. We are a much more mobile society than back then, and we know infection control guidelines -- yet we are a much larger world than back then. That's why while some of my friends said in the beginning that this would be over in a few months, I realistically said it would be around for 3-5 years. I'm not pessimistic, but I think realistic. Now there's a new South African variant -- and there will be many more -- with travel and unvaccinated parts of the world.
            In reality, I think this just provided me an excuse to say "I'm staying home and isolating, and playing with my new LA". It's not always a bad thing to spend time alone.
        Working...
        X