Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BRING BACK USER NOTES!!(My rant for the day)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monique
    commented on 's reply
    That sounds good. Is it possible to 'show' us what you mean with a test?

• geegeequilts
    commented on 's reply
    I agree Monique. Brian, you ARE the man! Gina

• blusk
    replied
    Okay, progress! We're thinking of adding a registered users only forum for User Notes. The user can open and close their own thread so they are the one who gets to decide what goes in their thread. I can also add a field to the user profile to be seen in the About tab. They can then add a link to their User Notes thread in that field. How's that sound?

Leave a comment:

• GuitarGramma
    commented on 's reply
    Wishing you all the best in restoring the notes!

• Monique
    commented on 's reply
    Is there any way to add a category to our profiles for 'user notes' in the future?

• blusk
    replied
    Originally posted by GuitarGramma View Post
    Hi Blusk! One of the nice features of the old User Notes is also what's making your job difficult now: User Notes could ONLY be read by forum members who were signed in. Because of that sense of privacy, I know that many people felt free to put their home address and other non-public information into their User Notes. In other words, publishing all the notes may violate some people's privacy. Occasionally, that can have serious consequences.

Perhaps another idea is to eMail the notes to anyone who requests them. Then the original writer can prune out the private information and start her own thread, as in "GuitarGramma's User Notes."
    I was already planning to NOT publish such personally identifying information... anyone that wants to post that anew has it already! Any sub-forum that gets the user notes will be one available to registered users only at a minimum... perhaps with more restrictions if I can figure out that part of the setup.

Emailing the user notes is a possibility, as well, though I'd rather hear from the people that want them rather than try to bulk send them somehow.

Good ideas, GuitarGramma!

Leave a comment:

• Kgrammiecaz
    replied
    I did not have many but would love to have them back.

Leave a comment:

• GuitarGramma
    replied
    Hi Blusk! One of the nice features of the old User Notes is also what's making your job difficult now: User Notes could ONLY be read by forum members who were signed in. Because of that sense of privacy, I know that many people felt free to put their home address and other non-public information into their User Notes. In other words, publishing all the notes may violate some people's privacy. Occasionally, that can have serious consequences.

Perhaps another idea is to eMail the notes to anyone who requests them. Then the original writer can prune out the private information and start her own thread, as in "GuitarGramma's User Notes."

Leave a comment:

• Simply Quilting
    commented on 's reply
    That would be a great way to do it and also save a lot of time.

• Monique
    commented on 's reply
    I don't remember how many I had but you can reinstate mine as well. Jean, good points, I hadn't thought about those no longer with us.

• Hillbillyhike
    commented on 's reply
    Great idea! I can't wait to read your notes I've been hearing so much about, Jean.

• Jean Sewing Machine
    replied
    Could you ask for individuals to request that you to manually install them rather than just going through every set of notes you find? Some folks no longer log in and may not even know the forum has changed thus may not miss the user notes. I would hate for you to do a lot of manual transferring if the notes will never be accessed. Perhaps a sticky note On the opening page that if you find your notes missing, request that they be reinstalled. I donโ€™t think this is discriminating against any one just a sort of refresh for members who are still active and posting and using the forum regularly. Anyone could request an update and it would be done once it is requested. Of course then you would have to be on call to do that so maybe that isnโ€™t a possibility with your other duties. Just a thought! Any way, I want to officially request that my notes get reinstated once you figure out where and how!

Leave a comment:

• Monique
    commented on 's reply
    OH WOW!! How AWESOME is that!! Your suggestion sounds good to me. Someone may come along with other suggestions. By the way, YOU ARE THE MAN!!

• blusk
    replied
    Okay, from all indications, I've found the user notes. I am open to suggestions on how to get these posted somewhere, which will probably be a manual process. Perhaps a forum with a thread for each user with notes?

Brian

Leave a comment:

• Monique
    commented on 's reply
    Could be as I had some.
Working...
X