Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BRING BACK USER NOTES!!(My rant for the day)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All of my messages are going unanswered sadly.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• Star lover
      Star lover commented
      Editing a comment
      😭......rats!

• GuitarGramma
      GuitarGramma commented
      Editing a comment
      Same comment: rats!

But it's unusual for M* to completely ignore the Squeaky Wheel section. Maybe they're busy trying to find the archive for the User Notes?

• KPH
      KPH commented
      Editing a comment
      Why don't you message Blusk, he's back in town now. lol, too late, he's already looking at it.

Just to make sure I understand:

User Notes, are these notes you add to another person's account that only you can see? Or can everyone see a note that you left on their account? (My google-fu is not giving me something useful to start with, just administrator level stuff that isn't supported on this version).

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
      Jean Sewing Machine commented
      Editing a comment
      Anyone who was signed in could access the notes. They were a great way to share tips and links that were in one place rather than searching for individual posts. Although I had about 80-90 notes, so people would have to search through pages of my notes. Karen McKuen posted a list of the names and dates of all the tutorials Jenny did, ( up to when Mo Star did it themselves). It was very handy to go to her notes to find a tutorial. She had them linked to the actual YouTube videos. It was a lot easier to search her list than the way the tutorials are arranged on the website.

• blusk
      blusk commented
      Editing a comment
      Monique, I'm pursuing our tech now to find out if a backup was made. I'll pass on what I find out. I can say from my research that the User Notes functionality is definitely not part of the current software package (it was apparently some kind of plugin that was very insecure and thus not retained), but if there's a backup I may be able to strip out the user notes and post them. I'll keep you posted.

• Monique
      Monique commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for at least looking into it. We appreciate it.

I found this post from Jean:

Two 40 strip jelly rolls will make a quilt top 75" by 84". If you add borders, it can cover the queen mattress on three sides. I've made many of them this size. If you check my profile, I have some calculations in my User notes on how to make the quilt turn out this size. I also have pictures of Jelly Roll quilts in my album that are on a queen bed. I start out with 60 jelly roll strips, make that to a piece that will be 75" by 64". Then I sew 20 more jelly roll strips together, add 10 more rows, row by row, to make it longer.

You determine how wide your Jelly Roll quilt is by how many strips you start out with. You need to make sure you start out with enough, because the only way to add width after it is sewn together is to add borders. You can add length by sewing rows on to the bottom of your first top. All Jelly Roll race quilts, made the traditional way, with 32 rows of fabric will end up 64" long. You need to add rows after the fact to make them longer than 64".
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
      Editing a comment
      How did you find this?

• Monique
      Monique commented
      Editing a comment
      I used the waybackmachine that Toni posted and entered your name and a bunch of your posts came up. I thought this one would be useful (not from user notes, but someone asking about jelly roll race quilts)

I also have a You Tube Channel Jean Jelly Roll Queen that has a 5 part video tutorial on how to make a Queen or king size jelly rolll race quilt, if anyone needs that information. I started posting in the User Notes about how to enlarge them because people kept asking on a daily basis how to enlarge jelly roll race quilts, I got tired of typing the directions on a daily basis, so I put them in user notes. Guess Monique found one of the typed out directions!
    Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; January 15, 2021, 09:55 PM.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Jean...you are a treasure trove of experience and such a giving teacher. Thank you!!

Jean, you had also notes on the different whites. I sure wish we could that back. It was really helpful.

Comment

• Monique
      Monique commented
      Editing a comment
      Was this it: https://web.archive.org/web/20150807...erns-moda.html

• Jean Sewing Machine
      Editing a comment
      Yes that is the forum post, but it isn’t the User Note. Shortly after I posted that, several other fabric companies came out with whites, so the pile would have grown immensely! My white collection is much bigger today!
      Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; January 17, 2021, 05:12 AM.

• Monique
      Monique commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry Jean, user notes are not included in those archives, sadly.

I just followed the link Monique posted, and I tried again to sign in. Unfortunately, the sign-in functionality simply isn't available; I can't sign in on the old site, so I can't see anyone's notes.

Blusk, I think I speak for us all: Thank you for looking into this matter. There was a treasure trove of information stored in the old User Notes. No one was warned that the notes wouldn't carry over to the new forum platform. So if the notes archived anywhere, a lot of us would be grateful to get them back.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• Monique
      Monique commented
      Editing a comment
      The new format took a lot away from us. Wouldn't it be nice if we could revert to 'old' version.

As an update, the previous tech is no longer available, so I'm starting from scratch on finding the User Notes. Bear with me, I'm trying!

Comment

• Judy, USMC
      Judy, USMC commented
      Editing a comment
      I know I speak for many - Thanks for whatever you can discover.

• Monique
      Monique commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for looking into this. I also appreciate what you are doing for us.

• geegeequilts
      geegeequilts commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe if nothing else could a new category (General Discussion, Chit chat, etc) be created? Just curious. Gina

We may be onto something!

Monique, is this one of your User Notes?

downsize the original pattern found here: http://www.mccallsquilting.com/conte...Path_Block.pdf

What you need to do to make the block half size is take each cut size and subtract .5, divide that number by two, then add .5 back to that number.

So 6.5-.5=6

6/2=3

3 +.5= 3.5

or http://hyacinthquiltdesigns.blogspot...den-fence.html

Here are the cutting dimensions for one block that finishes at 10" (10 1/2" unfinished):
    Center square: 4 1/2" x 4 1/2"
    Outer rectangles: 4 - 2 1/2" x 3" and 4 - 2 1/2" x 5"
    White: 2 - 1 1/2" x 4 1/2"; 2 - 1 1/2" x 6 1/2"; and 4 - 1 1/2" x 2 1/2"
    To piece the block:
    Sew the white 4 1/2" and 6 1/2" rectangles to opposite sides of the center square.
    Sew the white 2 1/2" rectangles between 2 outer rectangles; add these to the center pieced square.

Comment

• Monique
      Monique commented
      Editing a comment
      Could be as I had some.

Okay, from all indications, I've found the user notes. I am open to suggestions on how to get these posted somewhere, which will probably be a manual process. Perhaps a forum with a thread for each user with notes?

Brian

Comment

• Monique
      Monique commented
      Editing a comment
      OH WOW!! How AWESOME is that!! Your suggestion sounds good to me. Someone may come along with other suggestions. By the way, YOU ARE THE MAN!!

• geegeequilts
      geegeequilts commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree Monique. Brian, you ARE the man! Gina

Could you ask for individuals to request that you to manually install them rather than just going through every set of notes you find? Some folks no longer log in and may not even know the forum has changed thus may not miss the user notes. I would hate for you to do a lot of manual transferring if the notes will never be accessed. Perhaps a sticky note On the opening page that if you find your notes missing, request that they be reinstalled. I don’t think this is discriminating against any one just a sort of refresh for members who are still active and posting and using the forum regularly. Anyone could request an update and it would be done once it is requested. Of course then you would have to be on call to do that so maybe that isn’t a possibility with your other duties. Just a thought! Any way, I want to officially request that my notes get reinstated once you figure out where and how!

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Great idea! I can't wait to read your notes I've been hearing so much about, Jean.

• Monique
      Monique commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't remember how many I had but you can reinstate mine as well. Jean, good points, I hadn't thought about those no longer with us.

• Simply Quilting
      Simply Quilting commented
      Editing a comment
      That would be a great way to do it and also save a lot of time.

Hi Blusk! One of the nice features of the old User Notes is also what's making your job difficult now: User Notes could ONLY be read by forum members who were signed in. Because of that sense of privacy, I know that many people felt free to put their home address and other non-public information into their User Notes. In other words, publishing all the notes may violate some people's privacy. Occasionally, that can have serious consequences.

Perhaps another idea is to eMail the notes to anyone who requests them. Then the original writer can prune out the private information and start her own thread, as in "GuitarGramma's User Notes."
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

I did not have many but would love to have them back.
      Karen
      Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarGramma View Post
        Hi Blusk! One of the nice features of the old User Notes is also what's making your job difficult now: User Notes could ONLY be read by forum members who were signed in. Because of that sense of privacy, I know that many people felt free to put their home address and other non-public information into their User Notes. In other words, publishing all the notes may violate some people's privacy. Occasionally, that can have serious consequences.

Perhaps another idea is to eMail the notes to anyone who requests them. Then the original writer can prune out the private information and start her own thread, as in "GuitarGramma's User Notes."
        I was already planning to NOT publish such personally identifying information... anyone that wants to post that anew has it already! Any sub-forum that gets the user notes will be one available to registered users only at a minimum... perhaps with more restrictions if I can figure out that part of the setup.

Emailing the user notes is a possibility, as well, though I'd rather hear from the people that want them rather than try to bulk send them somehow.

Good ideas, GuitarGramma!

Comment

• Monique
          Monique commented
          Editing a comment
          Is there any way to add a category to our profiles for 'user notes' in the future?

• GuitarGramma
          GuitarGramma commented
          Editing a comment
          Wishing you all the best in restoring the notes!

Okay, progress! We're thinking of adding a registered users only forum for User Notes. The user can open and close their own thread so they are the one who gets to decide what goes in their thread. I can also add a field to the user profile to be seen in the About tab. They can then add a link to their User Notes thread in that field. How's that sound?

Comment

• Monique
          Monique commented
          Editing a comment
          That sounds good. Is it possible to 'show' us what you mean with a test?
      Working...
      X