X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ConnieNana
    replied
    Re: Great unless you are male.

My husband is also a quilter. We belong to an online quilting retreat group. It's not Jenny (hope to do a retreat there) but we travel once a year, usually in the fall, to different states for a retreat. My husband goes and has been well accepted. I am sure that once the have accommodations for couples you will be able to come. Hang in there and do keep on quilting. This year we are going to Florida. We have people from Arizona, Texas, Alabama, California, Wisconsin and the northeast states. It is a fun hobby.

Leave a comment:

• Suzette
    replied

Hi Peter! Welcome to this great quilting community.

Leave a comment:

• snippet
    replied

Well I'm glad you asked Peter. And I'm glad you got the right answers from the forum and no one was snarky or rude to you. We try to be friendly and most times we are. So welcome and hope you can come to a retreat one day. In the meantime, the forum is a great place. I hope to read more of your posts and see your great bags and projects.

My dad was a great sewer. He used to sew all our Barbie clothes and we loved them. Who else could have matching Barbie & me clothes? lol

Anyways, welcome Peter.

Leave a comment:

• stationarymom
    replied

Originally posted by Peter View Post
    Hi. Thank you for the welcome. I got into quilting.....well...in October last year it was my birthday. I decided I would just get a sewing machine and see what it is like to sew - I would have wanted to do that when I was a child but being a male - and from the family I was from, it really wasn't something I could even say. So, I decided - no bucket list - just do it. I got the machine and looked online for instructions. I found Jenny. That, as they say, was that! ALL I do now at home is either sew or cut and/or watch tutorials. It is GREAT. I'm making a lot of bags for the various women in my life and it is awesome. To say I love it is so weak. Anyway, that is how I got here - basically. Thanks for asking. You?
    I have a friend that had started quilting with a friend of hers,they were taking classes and asked if I would like to go along so I did.The first three quilts were made all by hand.The instructor was from Holland and didn't believe in sewing machines,so everything was hand cut from templates that I cut out of plastic and then hand sewn and quilted.

Leave a comment:

• Jean Marie
    replied

Oh yes JCY, both my boys learned how to cook, clean iron and do laundry! I wanted them to be good husbands and able to take care of themselves if need be. They weren't too interested in sewing though and to be honest, I didn't sew then. Too busy working and raising kids! Lol

Leave a comment:

• JCY
    replied

My oldest son (now 49) took Home Economics in high school. One of the sewing projects he made was a long sleeved western style shirt. He did a great job & was done before even some of the girls. With time on his hands, he made a twin size quilt. Both of my sons learned to cook. It's a good thing, because my younger son (47) is single & lives alone. They're both good cooks.

We always welcome male quilters on this Forum. I hope you get to attend a retreat at M* one of these days. Post pics of your projects.

Leave a comment:

• Jean Marie
    replied

My FIL , who has passed, sewed upholstery and loved to crochet, saying it relaxed him. I would guess he would have loved quilting if he were alive today. My nephew wanted my mother to teach him to crochet when he was 7 and no one thought this was weird! I'm so sorry your family was closed minded to this but I am so glad their thoughts didn't keep you from trying as an adult!

Leave a comment:

• shirleyknot
    replied

My boys didn't want to sew, but I taught them both to knit, which they still enjoy. Now I help my granddaughter learn to quilt.

Leave a comment:

• tsladaritz
    replied

Glad you got it worked out. I am sorry to hear your family was not supportive of you wanting to try to sew. My oldest son sewed with my mother and it never occurred to me it may not be a good thing. I was a little shocked though at her trusting a 6-7 year old with her nice sewing machine! He lost interest in it later but at least he got to try it and has that memory with his grandmother. I am glad you are enjoying it now! Hope you have a good time at the retreat.

Leave a comment:

• KarenC
    replied

Originally posted by Peter View Post
    Hi. Thank you for the welcome. I got into quilting.....well...in October last year it was my birthday. I decided I would just get a sewing machine and see what it is like to sew - I would have wanted to do that when I was a child but being a male - and from the family I was from, it really wasn't something I could even say. So, I decided - no bucket list - just do it. I got the machine and looked online for instructions. I found Jenny. That, as they say, was that! ALL I do now at home is either sew or cut and/or watch tutorials. It is GREAT. I'm making a lot of bags for the various women in my life and it is awesome. To say I love it is so weak. Anyway, that is how I got here - basically. Thanks for asking. You?
    Hi Peter. I have been sewing since the age of 8-9. Mostly clothing, up until a few years ago, when my son handed me a stack of t-shirts and asked me to make something with them. The logical thing was a quilt. I was able to do the top no problem, but then had to go to a class at a LQS to learn how to quilt. For some reason I thought you could wait until the last minute to sign up for a class at the Houston Quilt Festival. NOT! Those classes fill up fast. Well, was probably a year later when I found Jenny and this forum, and the rest has been history. Glad to have you here.

Leave a comment:

• Peter
    replied

What a kind message, Bee. I also LOVE your name and what a nice signature. I'm grateful for all the kindness that has been shown me.

Leave a comment:

• Peter
    replied

Thank you so much. Yes I do feel soooooo welcomed. I am excited for the day when I make the journey to HAMILTON MO. Thank you for your good wishes.

Leave a comment:

• Peter
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Peter
    replied

Just thanks to everyone who has welcomed me and helped by giving info on retreats and male participants. It was a BIG misunderstanding - I chatted with a rep and communication/information was not correct. I am soooo glad, as I am sure you all are, to have MSQC. I am also thankful for the community that reaches out.
    Keep sewing! Apparently - the title of my post could be changed to "Great for females and males!"
    Again - thank you all.

Leave a comment:

• Midge
    replied

Hope you feel more welcome now Peter, both to the forum and to the retreats. Any forum is richer for diverse voices and aesthetics.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X