Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Great unless you are male.

Welcome to the forum.

I'm glad someone mentioned seeing a men's retreat mentioned. I thought I had imagined it too.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

Welcome to the forum from Missouri. We have several men on the forum and they are so talented and creative. Glad you joined us....
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Peter,

First of all welcome to the forums. It is a great place with an unbelievable wealth of knowledge that is available for the asking. I hope to see you here often and enjoying it as much as I have and do.

Secondly, I have attended five retreats at M* in my quilting life. I am planning on being at the Fall Forum Retreat again this year (third year in a row). The only part of a retreat that I've not been welcomed to is the lodging at the retreat center. I understand with the way the center is set up why this is. I have been in the center as late at midnight, some of the ladies are in night gown and robe and some are fully dressed. I hope you get to attend a retreat, I have enjoyed my times at M*, in fact I'm getting ready to go out the door to drive there for the ribbon cutting on the reopening of the main store this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
          I think Bubba is right! I think I saw that advertised also! The sleeping rooms in the retreat center are 3-5 in a room with bathrooms down the hall. Not exactly private!

There is a new motel/B&B that opened up in Hamilton, that could be an alternative. And Cameron is only 15 minutes away with lots of motels available!

You would be so welcome to attend a retreat at MSQC. The sleeping issue is the only thing that is gender specific.

Married couples also need to find lodging elsewhere. We have lots of couples in the past at the forum retreat, however the guys usually don't do the sewing part!

Plus there is a great Man Cave section in among the shops. Believe me, those chairs are the most comfortable chairs in town!
          With as many men as are getting involved these days, why cannot one of the smaller rooms be set aside for them? Money? And do the bathrooms not have doors? I'm assuming no one is running around naked either......

Comment

Welcome Peter - as you can see, we love that you joined us here. I am also interested in knowing how you came in to quilting. I remember too about a men's retreat coming soon - can't wait to see the projects produced, perhaps you can join that and in the meantime sign up for the one in September.
            You know - I have a friend who is a male quilter, is colorblind, and he usually makes nothing less than king size. His quilts are exquisite! I always love my get togethers with him but I have to watch I don't drool all over his latest creations.
            Hope to see you pop back in more here.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
            http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
            http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

Hope you feel more welcome now Peter, both to the forum and to the retreats. Any forum is richer for diverse voices and aesthetics.

Comment

Just thanks to everyone who has welcomed me and helped by giving info on retreats and male participants. It was a BIG misunderstanding - I chatted with a rep and communication/information was not correct. I am soooo glad, as I am sure you all are, to have MSQC. I am also thankful for the community that reaches out.
                Keep sewing! Apparently - the title of my post could be changed to "Great for females and males!"
                Again - thank you all.

Comment

Hi. Thank you for the welcome. I got into quilting.....well...in October last year it was my birthday. I decided I would just get a sewing machine and see what it is like to sew - I would have wanted to do that when I was a child but being a male - and from the family I was from, it really wasn't something I could even say. So, I decided - no bucket list - just do it. I got the machine and looked online for instructions. I found Jenny. That, as they say, was that! ALL I do now at home is either sew or cut and/or watch tutorials. It is GREAT. I'm making a lot of bags for the various women in my life and it is awesome. To say I love it is so weak. Anyway, that is how I got here - basically. Thanks for asking. You?

Comment

Thank you so much. Yes I do feel soooooo welcomed. I am excited for the day when I make the journey to HAMILTON MO. Thank you for your good wishes.

Comment

What a kind message, Bee. I also LOVE your name and what a nice signature. I'm grateful for all the kindness that has been shown me.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                        Hi. Thank you for the welcome. I got into quilting.....well...in October last year it was my birthday. I decided I would just get a sewing machine and see what it is like to sew - I would have wanted to do that when I was a child but being a male - and from the family I was from, it really wasn't something I could even say. So, I decided - no bucket list - just do it. I got the machine and looked online for instructions. I found Jenny. That, as they say, was that! ALL I do now at home is either sew or cut and/or watch tutorials. It is GREAT. I'm making a lot of bags for the various women in my life and it is awesome. To say I love it is so weak. Anyway, that is how I got here - basically. Thanks for asking. You?
                        Hi Peter. I have been sewing since the age of 8-9. Mostly clothing, up until a few years ago, when my son handed me a stack of t-shirts and asked me to make something with them. The logical thing was a quilt. I was able to do the top no problem, but then had to go to a class at a LQS to learn how to quilt. For some reason I thought you could wait until the last minute to sign up for a class at the Houston Quilt Festival. NOT! Those classes fill up fast. Well, was probably a year later when I found Jenny and this forum, and the rest has been history. Glad to have you here.

Comment

Glad you got it worked out. I am sorry to hear your family was not supportive of you wanting to try to sew. My oldest son sewed with my mother and it never occurred to me it may not be a good thing. I was a little shocked though at her trusting a 6-7 year old with her nice sewing machine! He lost interest in it later but at least he got to try it and has that memory with his grandmother. I am glad you are enjoying it now! Hope you have a good time at the retreat.

Comment

My boys didn't want to sew, but I taught them both to knit, which they still enjoy. Now I help my granddaughter learn to quilt.

Comment

My FIL , who has passed, sewed upholstery and loved to crochet, saying it relaxed him. I would guess he would have loved quilting if he were alive today. My nephew wanted my mother to teach him to crochet when he was 7 and no one thought this was weird! I'm so sorry your family was closed minded to this but I am so glad their thoughts didn't keep you from trying as an adult!
                              :icon_rolleyes:

Comment

My oldest son (now 49) took Home Economics in high school. One of the sewing projects he made was a long sleeved western style shirt. He did a great job & was done before even some of the girls. With time on his hands, he made a twin size quilt. Both of my sons learned to cook. It's a good thing, because my younger son (47) is single & lives alone. They're both good cooks.

We always welcome male quilters on this Forum. I hope you get to attend a retreat at M* one of these days. Post pics of your projects.

Comment

Working...
                                X