Great unless you are male.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great unless you are male.

I know, or at least assume, that most of the people who are involved in quilting and sewing and msqc are female - but there is ROB and the guy with the bags and 3 dudes, so I know there are men involved and I thought that MSQC was good with that. I mean Jenny's grandSON made a quilt and was on a tutorial for heaven sakes.

When I found Jenny and MSQC and began to learn to do this amazing thing with a sewing machine I fell hard for it. Jenny herself seems sooo kind and good on the tutorials. Like many, I was hooked not only by the quilting but by the goodness. In meeting others who quilt and sew I found that there were so many generous and loving people. It filled a place in my life and I was so grateful. I remember thinking that I would watch the tutorials even if I didn't sew at all, just for the goodness that seems to pour through them. And then, today, I found out that because I am male, I am not welcome.
    I had imagined, as many of you I'm sure have as well, planning a trip to visit - to look for a retreat where I could maybe learn from Jenny or at least one where she would do a "trunk show?" I've been to Disney - but I thought THIS is the REAL DEAL. Hamilton MO must be one amazingly happy and beautiful place. Then to find out that none of this would be possible for me just because of my gender - because I am male. This was really hard to hear. I know it may not seem like much to some, but being excluded like that from something you have grown to really love is tough. It hurts. I feel like I have lost something I treasured, and it is just not fair. For those of you who love MSQC and as her son said in interview on what has happened with their business, "people just fell in love with mom," imagine what it would be like if they told you that you weren't welcome because of something like your gender or race or whatever. It's not fair is what I need to say and it's not nice. I'm so conflicted, because I really have and deep down still believe in the goodness - but to have it be this way is honestly painful.

Just thought I would share that and hopefully things can change someday so that everyone will be welcome - and no one else needs feel that door close them out.

Re: Great unless you are male.

You are in no way excluded completely from the retreats at M*. Men attend, just at this time they aren't allowed to overnight at the retreat center due to the dormitory style rooms. Bob has attended several of the forum retreats held at the center and he gets a room in Cameron. He has always been made to feel as one of the group by the people attending. There is now a small inn located in Hamilton right down the street where men can stay and walk down to the center each morning.

You would gt what is known as a "commuter ticket" that covers the meals and the few incidentals at the center and is much less than what someone staying at the center pays, because you have to pay for a room elsewhere.
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

Welcome Peter from Hawaii! I haven't gone to a retreat there, but it's a dormitory setting for sleeping quarters. The men are still welcome just like here. Someone will come along and explain it better. Don't feel left out

See Karen already beat me to it!
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

I have been to three retreats at MSQC and two of them had men there quilting along with us. Like Karen said they stayed at the hotel in Cameron and was only charged the commuter fee by MSQC. Rob Appel was one of the retreats and there was a man at that one. Maybe you could check out the commuter information by calling them, and join in September when Rob comes back.

Also, welcome to the forum, from Overland Park Kansas.
        Vicki C:icon_hi:

Comment

Thank you for your posting. It is looking like I got some bad information - which is, in this case, a cause for relief.
          Thanks again.

Comment

We are all guilty at time for jumping to conclusions before we know all the facts. I think Karen explained this admirably and I am sure you will have a great time going to the retreats. I cannot get away from my business so I think you should feel lucky to have the time to travel there. Have a ball.
            Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
            Terry

Comment

Yes. I'm glad the first info I was given was not the way things are there.

Comment

Welcome from Washington! I thought I read somewhere this past week that there was going to be a retreat for men?? Did anyone else see that or was it my imagination?
                pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I think Bubba is right! I think I saw that advertised also! The sleeping rooms in the retreat center are 3-5 in a room with bathrooms down the hall. Not exactly private!

There is a new motel/B&B that opened up in Hamilton, that could be an alternative. And Cameron is only 15 minutes away with lots of motels available!

You would be so welcome to attend a retreat at MSQC. The sleeping issue is the only thing that is gender specific.

Married couples also need to find lodging elsewhere. We have lots of couples in the past at the forum retreat, however the guys usually don't do the sewing part!

Plus there is a great Man Cave section in among the shops. Believe me, those chairs are the most comfortable chairs in town!
                  Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; June 16, 2016, 11:11 PM.

Comment

I posted right after getting back from Hamilton that Rob had stated that a "man's only" retreat was in the planning. He couldn't give a date yet but he said it is coming. If you want a retreat where you can stay, you might want to check into one of the cruises. Rob had to go home because he and his wife were headed to Alaska on a quilting cruise. That sounds like so much fun.
                    sigpic

Comment

Hi Peter welcome to the forum from Massachusetts.If I can ask how did you get into quilting?
                      :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

Peter, you are so welcomed to attend retreats at MSQC as the others have said. We even have opening lefts for the Fall Forum Retreat in September and would love for you attend so that we can meet you. It is so much fun! Here is more information on the Fall Forum Retreat with a link to sign up http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/showthread.php?t=61474

If you can't attend the Fall Forum Retreat, there are several other MSQC retreats that still have openings.

Comment

Hello Peter, from Bee in Alabama.
                          Glad to have you join in. This is a wonderful group of the kindest and most caring group of people. Helping and sharing in all kinds of way's. Hope you find the forum as fulfilling as it has become to many of us here. Goodness is recognised by those who are so.
                          Welcome.

....Bee
                          The footprint's in the sand are not mine, but is that of the Lord's, who has been carrying me....

~~♡sigpic
                          ~~~~Sewn By Bee

Comment

I was shocked when I read your original post because the info you got was just plain wrong. As others have explained the only thing you would be excluded from is "sleeping over" with the girls.

And please do consider joining the fall forum retreat that Simply Quilting mentioned. It would be a pleasure to meet you there.

Comment

Hi Peter! Welcome to the forum from Georgia. It is a very lively bunch here and they are very knowledgeable.

As you are now aware, everyone is welcome to the retreats, it's simply the sleeping accommodations that are restricted. I am female and will be attending the retreat in September and I have chosen to stay elsewhere, simply because I wanted my own room. Many people stay in Cameron, which is just a short drive away. Hope you'll take a second look at what's available.
                              Cindy

Comment

Working...
                              X