Thanks Jean & Jenny!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Jean & Jenny!

I've just returned home from my long awaited trip to Hamilton, Mo and the much anticipated class taught by Jenny, Darling Dresden. I'd like to thank Jean, the retreat center director, for her energy and enthusiasm (da..ta..dada!)...and Jenny for her ability to share her ideas and her love of all things in this world!

My Review:

The retreat center is beautiful! With a full kitchen on the main floor, it was convenient for us to have our meals right where we sewed. My room was like a five star bed and breakfast. Fluffy white comforters were on every bed and this adorable young lady came in twice a day to keep everything spruced up. She quietly came and went, but her "presents" was felt because the bathrooms were always immaculate (in spite of the fact that 26 people were using them constantly!) The sewing room had great lighting, was spacious and comfortable with beautiful hard wood flooring. If we took the time to look up, we saw tray ceilings built around the original tin, which reminded us we were in a very old building!

The town of Hamilton is quaint with one stop light that hangs from a cord across their Main Street. There is evidence of continuous renovation on the old buildings. EVERYONE was friendly from the grocer to the baker. If you are inspired by the American dream, then Hamilton, MO will knock your socks off!

I'm already planning my return visit...

Re: Thanks Jean & Jenny!

I am green with envy; especially since Jenny got me hooked on the dresden plate - I just recently finished a quilt using her method.

Comment

You are so lucky to be able to make the trip and I'm sure have the experience of a life time.
      :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

It is wonderful, isn't it? Jean is a bundle of energy, and the joy that is the Doan family is felt everywhere. I can't wait for my return visit, with the forum group at the end September. Seeing friends again, and making new ones.
        Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
        sigpic

Comment

It was great...seriously like Disneyland for quilters. The whole town in quilting. Great fun, with real, genuine people. That alone is a treasure.

Comment

Abbie 56 could not have put it better...her description of the town and the Doan family were spot on... I enjoyed every minute while in Missouri and it's "Star" shop.... I was just thinking., the WHOLE time I was there... I didn't hear a negative comment of any substance,, and I don't think I had one???? Amazing how positive a place can be...
            "Each day well-lived and Happy;
            that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

I just gotta go! How far is Hamilton from an airport? Maybe on our way to New Orleans??? Is there a lake or river where hubby can fish- that always encourages a stop��

Comment

Originally posted by bajasadie View Post
                I just gotta go! How far is Hamilton from an airport? Maybe on our way to New Orleans??? Is there a lake or river where hubby can fish- that always encourages a stop😍
                The Kansas City International airport (only about 35 miles from me) is also only about 35-40 miles from Hamilton.

There are lakes and rivers, though I'm not up on the best places to fish (there are a few pay lakes north of me but I no longer fish so can't give advice . . . an aside my father was the pioneer catfish farmer and stocked almost all the farm ponds and lakes throughout the Louisiana Purchase area back in the 60's). There is a golf course close to the Missouri Star shops and they have very special deals for husbands who reluctantly leave their wives at the quilt shops. Also, the Amish country isn't too far away and it a great place to visit. Soon, it is my understanding, Missouri Star will be opening their Man Cave - across the street a bit from the retreat center - lounge chairs, TV, etd. And there's a new micro-brewery there, as well as a fantastic (my opinion) 5 star restaurant, a burger place, a bakery, a bowling alley, a Subway, a BBQ place . . . antique stores, a bowling alley, and even a DOLLAR GENERAL.
                Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Thank you Sandy so much for the detailed info...sounds like we'd have a great visit. I'm going to start working on a visit ��

Comment

A bowing alley? Where the heck is that? I don't know how I could have missed it.
                    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by auntiemern View Post
                      A bowing alley? Where the heck is that? I don't know how I could have missed it.
                      South of the main store about four or five blocks - it is not part of Missouri Star though (unless things have changed recently).

One of the waitresses from the Blue Sage works there when she's not at the restaurant.
                      Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                      it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

A trip to Hamilton is like the best way to spend a day or a week. I have had some of the best days ever when I have made it to Hamilton. The stores! Getting to visit with the Doans! I can't wait to get to make another trip.

Comment

Working...
                        X