X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brian
    replied
    Re: Serger

I bought a used coverstitch machine, if I remember correctly I think I gave about 400 for the machine and table. It is a Union Special but I don't remember the model number, never had to get any parts so haven't looked. Couldn't ask for anything more, it does what it is supposed to do. Remember to "pull through" rather than completely re-threading, yeah 5 cones, 4 tension devices can be a bit tedious but once you get it set you are good to go for a long long time. Here again I recommend a used industrial machine, just plain works better with fewer issues.

Leave a comment:

• Jean Sewing Machine
    replied

Originally posted by auntstuff View Post
    Oh dear! I've never had it NOT work!
    If you run out of thread while serging, you've lost your tie on thread. Better know how to thread it the regular way. I do the tie on method as often as I can, as I change thread colors often in my costume and dressmaking jobs.

I don't know if this works on all machines, but BabyLock sells a product that is like a tiny thin stainless steel wire snake with an eye on one end. It snakes through the thread path and comes out by the knife and you can pull your thread through. Works when lint or dirt is clogging the thread path.
    Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; May 30, 2018, 11:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Klasien
    replied

I just bought a serger last week. Think it is a european brand, never seen it in the usa
    I have a Lewenstein 4 thread serger. I played with it a little, made two shirts and a skirt.. Need to play some more, but so far I really like it. The threading is just a matter of practising I think. I sat down and have threaded my machine over and over.

Hope you find a machine you like, if you do i wish you lots of fun with it!

Leave a comment:

• cv quilter
    replied

Possible I didn't knot it right or I don't know what?....but it was not working for me. I finally gave my little machine away.

Leave a comment:

• auntstuff
    replied

Oh dear! I've never had it NOT work!

Leave a comment:

• cv quilter
    replied

I tried what auntstuff suggested on my old serger....didn't work. Got so frustrated I loaned it to my daughter and her husband got it threaded for me before they returned it.

Leave a comment:

• auntstuff
    replied

There's an easy way to change thread on those things, been doing it for years. Cut the thread next to the old spool, tie that end to the replacement thread, repeat with however many spools. Carefully run the machine to bring the new threads through. The knots will go through everything but the needles. Clip that knot and re-thread the needle. Learned this when I worked for Singer in the 80's

Leave a comment:

• Hulamoon
    replied

I agree with Jean on the Babylock and don't get more than four threads. We both owned (I still have mine) the eight thread. You will never use eight threads unless your making a tent. lol

Leave a comment:

• Granny Fran
    replied

I have a Brother 1034D and love it. As Claire H said, not so hard to thread after a few tries. I looked into the BL, but could not justify the expense just to get a self threader. The brother will do most of what the BL offers. Try them out at the shop and compare features. If you are going to be garment sewing, you may want to consider a cover stitch machine as well.

Leave a comment:

• TMP
    replied

I have an older singer cheap model. I think I used it once or twice when Kaylee was a baby. It has been sitting in the closet for about 10 years. Threading this thing and keeping the threads straight is a nightmare.

Leave a comment:

• Claire Hallman
    replied

I have an older model Babylock and while I don't love rethreading it, it is not that hard to do. If you rethread it 8 times in a row you will have it in your memory and be able to do it without problems from then on.
    I do no change the thread out any more than necessary though. Just using neutral thread works for almost anything you are doing.

Leave a comment:

• Rhonda K
    replied

Have fun at the demo. See if the shop offers classes as they help with learning the machine. Our local shop offers a monthly class and has events to learn techniques. I have the Ovation and love the different stitches on it. The latest model added a needle threader too.

Just a tip for you. Take the color-coded thread guide sheets to a copy center and make enlarged copies. Then laminate them to keep next to the machine for reference. I had two sets made and one set stays in the roller bag for class time.

Best wishes on your decision!

Leave a comment:

• shawnan
    replied

I understand Pfaff will be putting out a self-threading serger this fall. I don't know a price though. I currently have a Pfaff Coverlock 4, which I like very much. My dealer made sure I knew how to thread it.

Nancy

Leave a comment:

• g8dhorse7
    replied

Thank you all. I will check out the Babylock. I have a dealer fairly close who sells BL and Brother. I bought my Brother embroidery machine from them. They will definitely have to show me how to thread and operate one.

Leave a comment:

• Mimi_Howard
    replied

I have a Janome 4-thread and it is a PAIN to rethread one of the bottom loopers. When this baby goes belly up it WILL be replaced with a self threading one for sure. The first time I had to do it, I was ready to throw that thing out the window. There is a reason they provide you with those long bent end tweezers! The machine does get used quite often and glad I do own one. When I have a quilt tops with fabric that frays easily and I am not going to quilt it right away, I do serge around the sides before putting away for a quilting day. One day I want to make one of the serged quilts (long wide strips - double sided quilt). My local dealer does Janome, not baby lock - that is the reason I bought a Janome.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X