Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disappointed with this Product

Hi Everyone,

I am brand new to this forum but have been trying to read as many threads here as possible. I am so impressed with all the knowledge that is shared here and I hope to make this a place I go to often.

My product review is for RJR Pie Making Patty Cakes (10" squares pack) that I purchased at Craftsy. Today I picked out 10" squares from this and other cakes (and even some homemade layer cakes-they were cut perfectly) and started pinning them to Bella Solid white 10" squares for a quilt I want to make. All was going well until I started pinning these RJR patty cake squares. Instead of being 10"x 10", they were all almost a half an inch too long on one side. So I wound up having to cut all those patty cakes to the right size instead of starting to sew right away. I will be thinking twice before buying RJR patty cakes again.

I was wondering if anyone else found have their layer cakes (patty cakes) to be cut incorrectly.

Thank you for listening.

Re: Disappointed with this Product

Yes, it happens all the time. One manufacturer's 10" square is different from another's. At least yours was too large. Some of us have experienced squares that were smaller than 10 x 10 or 5 x 5. I have found Moda to be the most consistent.

Welcome to the forum from cold, snowy Idaho!
    Rescued is my favorite breed.

Comment

Originally posted by baskets4deb View Post
      Yes, it happens all the time. One manufacturer's 10" square is different from another's. At least yours was too large. Some of us have experienced squares that were smaller than 10 x 10 or 5 x 5. I have found Moda to be the most consistent.

Welcome to the forum from cold, snowy Idaho!
      Hi Baskets4deb. Thank you for the warm welcome even though it's coming from inclement Idaho. It's cold and very windy here in PA but no snow yet. Now that I am retired and don't have to drive in bad weather any more I wouldn't mind seeing some snow come our way.

Yes, I am fortunate that my squares we larger than 10" square and only had to cut it down to size. Since my Bella Solid is used in each square I am using that as my standard for this project. I will definitely keep that in mind about the Moda fabrics.

Comment

Have you contacted RJR about the miscuts? I'm sure that would help them by alerting them to a quality control issue they may not be aware of. They make one of the highest quality fabrics, they're a good company and I'm sure they'd likely replace your fabric that's causing an issue.

I'm not sure either Craftsy or RJR would see your post here, it'd be best to contact one or both directly. Precuts are cut by machine and there can be errors or even just variations on sizes between manufacturers. I'm quite sure most precuts get hoarded and saved for years before they're even opened up, so there is a high likelihood that companies would never know of a quality issue unless there are many people who use the fabric soon after its production and bother to complain to the company. That's my sneaking suspicion, anyhow.

It is fortunate your squares are too big. I'm sorry you have to go to the trouble of trimming, precuts should eliminate all that tedious work. Glad you've joined us! I love it here, you can almost always find the help you need and certainly always find friendly faces and uplifting people to hang out with

Comment

Originally posted by stitchwishes View Post
          Have you contacted RJR about the miscuts? I'm sure that would help them by alerting them to a quality control issue they may not be aware of. They make one of the highest quality fabrics, they're a good company and I'm sure they'd likely replace your fabric that's causing an issue.

I'm not sure either Craftsy or RJR would see your post here, it'd be best to contact one or both directly. Precuts are cut by machine and there can be errors or even just variations on sizes between manufacturers. I'm quite sure most precuts get hoarded and saved for years before they're even opened up, so there is a high likelihood that companies would never know of a quality issue unless there are many people who use the fabric soon after its production and bother to complain to the company. That's my sneaking suspicion, anyhow.

It is fortunate your squares are too big. I'm sorry you have to go to the trouble of trimming, precuts should eliminate all that tedious work. Glad you've joined us! I love it here, you can almost always find the help you need and certainly always find friendly faces and uplifting people to hang out with
          Hi StitchWishes. Thank you for such a nice welcome. I normally don't make complaints but I like your idea of letting Craftsy and RJR know that this particular precut was miscut. Yes, thankfully the squares were bigger so I could cut it down. I would be extremely disappointed if they were too small because then they wouldn't work for the quilt I had in mind.

I was purchasing fabric at Missouri Star Quilt Co site for the first time at their Black Friday sale and somehow found these forums. What a wonderful surprise. I agree that the help and knowledge here available is great. Everyone is also so nice. I may not post a lot but I will be busy reading the threads.

Comment

It's always a good idea to measure your pre-cuts to make sure they're even. I had to trim a whole charm pack once to 4-7/8" since some of them were off.

Comment

Originally posted by JCY View Post
              It's always a good idea to measure your pre-cuts to make sure they're even. I had to trim a whole charm pack once to 4-7/8" since some of them were off.
              I guess I always assumed that the pre-cuts were accurately especially from name brand companies. Isn't that what we pay for when buying pre-cuts? The only issue I thought I would have to deal with are the ones that are pinked and needing to see whether the correct "edge" was in the hills or the valleys. I purchased the same RJR Pie Making fabric but in 5" charm packs. You are correct in that I need to make sure I measure them before using them. I'm sorry you had to trim a whole charm pack. That's a lot of cutting.

Comment

Welcome to the forum, happy to have you join in. I have to say, I would be thrilled if my layer cakes were larger instead of smaller. I have well over ten packs of layer cakes that are 9.5 inches on one side. Very disappointing. I rarely buy layer cakes now. Only if I truly love the fabic and know I can use them for a quilt without them being 10 inches square will I buy them. I dont make my complaints to the vendors I purchase from, but I know I should to the manufacturer. Someday....
                Karen
                Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Originally posted by Kgrammiecaz View Post
                  Welcome to the forum, happy to have you join in. I have to say, I would be thrilled if my layer cakes were larger instead of smaller. I have well over ten packs of layer cakes that are 9.5 inches on one side. Very disappointing. I rarely buy layer cakes now. Only if I truly love the fabic and know I can use them for a quilt without them being 10 inches square will I buy them. I dont make my complaints to the vendors I purchase from, but I know I should to the manufacturer. Someday....
                  Thank you for the welcome, Kgrammiecaz. I didn't realize this was such a problem with so many layer cakes. Did you have issues with all different brands or only a few? I do have to say the 10" squares of misc fabric I received from an Etsy vendor were spot on. Plus there was no pinking of edges which can be a pain in its own right. Some brands go by the valleys and others use the peaks as their edge. It can be a problem when mixing fabric lines. As for the Etsy fabric there was no fraying of the straight edges either.

Sorry you were shortchanged on all those layer cakes. I can definitely see why you'd be hesitant about ever buying them again.

Comment

Originally posted by 1Potato2Potato3Potato4 View Post
                    Thank you for the welcome, Kgrammiecaz. I didn't realize this was such a problem with so many layer cakes. Did you have issues with all different brands or only a few? I do have to say the 10" squares of misc fabric I received from an Etsy vendor were spot on. Plus there was no pinking of edges which can be a pain in its own right. Some brands go by the valleys and others use the peaks as their edge. It can be a problem when mixing fabric lines. As for the Etsy fabric there was no fraying of the straight edges either. Sorry you were shortchanged on all those layer cakes. I can definitely see why you'd be hesitant about ever buying them again.
                    I still use them all. Just cut them up. They were dufferent brands not all one brand. I still am hooked on precuts though. I have more helly rolls and charm packs them one should count. And fat quarters I love
                    Karen
                    Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Hi and welcome from Canada. I am hooked on pre-cuts. BUT I am a fabric collector, no really I am.
                      Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Originally posted by Monique View Post
                        Hi and welcome from Canada. I am hooked on pre-cuts. BUT I am a fabric collector, no really I am.
                        Hi, Monique, and thank you for the welcome from up north. I love pre-cuts too but I just thought a brand name fabric line would cut them properly. I think we are all fabric collectors in one way or another. I just wish I could use up all of mine and start buying more so I don't feel like I'm filling up my sewing room to the rafters.

Comment

I had a problem with RJR also. I had a charm pack that had a square that was almost half the 5 inches. No it wasn't an extra. I agree, I have always found Moda to be cut accurately .

Comment

If you use precuts, you will continue to be disappointed. This happens all the time.
                            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Welcome from AZ. I haven't used layer cakes yet, but will certainly keep all of the things I'm reading in this thread in mind when I purchase some. Sorry for the inconvenience you are experiencing, but as the others have said, I guess I'd rather have them be too large than too small. I hope that you will post a picture of your quilt when completed.
                              A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

Working...
                              X