Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stripology original or Stripology squared ruler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stripology original or Stripology squared ruler?

DH is giving me one of these for Xmas (as soon as I order it, lol)

I'm leaning towards the new Stripology Squared one for the additional functionality, but it is a bit smaller.

Any advice? Thanks!

Re: Stripology original or Stripology squared ruler?

I only have the first one, and I LOVE IT!!!!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I have the original one and love it. I won't cut stips without it. I no longer have the curves and bows in my strips.

Comment

I have the original Stripology and can't imagine cutting strips without it. I LOVE it!!! I don't know much about the new ruler.
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I have the original Stripology ruler. I really never got the hang of it. It sits in the box unused. I wish I could sell it to someone, but I know we can't do that on this Forum. I wish I'd never bought it. I feel like I threw away $54.

Comment

I love my original stripology ruler - can't imagine any improvements on it.

Comment

I have the original, and I love it for cutting various size strips. When I know I have to cut several blocks of the same size, say 4" X 7", I can cut 4" WOF, and then turn it and make the 7" cuts. You cannot do that with the Stripology Squared Ruler. I have been squaring corners by using either my 12.5" square ruler or one of my 6" X 24" rulers. That has been working well for me, so I don't need the Squared Ruler.

I think you have to decide which ruler you would use the most.
              Last edited by Sylvia H; November 24, 2016, 10:24 PM.
              If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia H View Post
                I have the original, and I love it for cutting various size strips. When I know I have to cut several blocks of the same size, say 4" X 7", I can cut 4" WOF, and then turn it and make the 7" cuts. You cannot do that with the Stripology Squared Ruler.
                Hmmm - I thought it could do that too. I'll need to go watch the video again I guess.

Comment

I have the original and like it a lot. It took a long time for me to be willing to spend that kind of money on a ruler, but I have found it to be very accurate and a real timesaver. I don't know about the new one, but I can certainly recommend the original.

sigpic
                  Marci

Comment

The Stripology Squared will cut blocks up to 12 1/2" square. The visual advantage is the Squared has distinguishable horizontal and vertical lines and is designed for squaring up blocks after they are sewn together.

The Original Stripology is designed to cut strips. For example if you wanted to cut a single layer of fabric that is 6 1/2" square you would cut 3 strips that size with the original (cut at 6 1/2, 13 and 19 1/2) but only 1 with the Squared. Rotate the Squared and you would have 1 - 6 1/2 x 6 1/2 square but rotate the Original Stripology you would have 3 of those squares out of one of the original strips. Now multiply that by the 3 strips originally cut and you would have a total of 9 fabric squares.

Hope that makes sense ... if not pm me!

Comment

Ok...I think it's making sense to me now - Jenny isn't the only one who is "angularly challenged", lol

Now I'm really going to have to think hard about which one to buy....I've got several HSQ quilts planned for next year and squaring up is always a challenge for me....but otoh, being able to quickly cut multiple squares at a time, or lots o strips (I think the only reason I haven't started a lattice quilt I want to make is tgat I want to cut the sashing out of yardage) quickly is also a good thing . Oh my - spoiled for choice it seems!

Comment

You can still square up those blocks with the original Stripology ruler.

Comment

Originally posted by snippet View Post
                          You can still square up those blocks with the original Stripology ruler.
                          That's an excellent point!

Comment

I just ordered the square one and I already have the original. I will let you know once I have it in hand to compare the two if that will help.

Comment

I couldn't decide which one & sent links to both for DH to choose, lol. He got me the original & I've already used it several times!

It does seem a bit tricky to get the fabric lined up just right so that the 0 mark isn't too far away from the edge and that the beginning & ending bits of the slots are in the right place. I haven't tried to use it to square up anything yet, but by golly it was a cinch to cut binding strips & some 5" squares!

I am still interested in how the new one compares to the original - If it is as handy for squaring up as it sounds, I may ask for one for Mothers day

Comment

Working...
                              X