Oliso Iron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oliso Iron

I bought the yellow 1600 model about a year ago. The dial did not line up with the indicator right, so Oliso replaced it.
    The replacement dial did not line up, either. I got tired of dorking around with returns and there was plenty of stream even if the dial did not go over to the third dot. I never bothered to get the second one replaced.

Almost a year later, another issue is turning up and this one is dangerous. I always turn the dial to OFF when I'm done.
    For the past couple of weeks, I'd go in the sewing room and find the iron ON. Since I'm taking some meds that causes lapses, I double checked that the dial said OFF and the red light that shows when OFF is selected was showing.

Went into sewing room today, light was green and the iron was on. Low fortunately.

Oliso says they will fix it, but shipping is getting expensive. I just might buy another Reliable as I see the new ones don't use a filter and throw the Oliso out.

If anyone has an Oliso and the dial looks wonky, please watch the iron carefully. I'll just turn off the power strip rather than the iron.

Re: Oliso Iron

I have the blue Oliso, have not had that problem. But it is a good idea to unplug when not using just in case. We don't want all our pretty, expensive fabric stash to get burned up in a fire!!

Comment

I have the same iron. It does shut off when I turn it to the off position but the timer shutoff is hit and miss on working. Some days it shuts off and others it doesn't. I have to get in the habit of unplugging the iron when I go to bed at night, and it's a very hard habit to break. I've left it on high for two days straight, thankfully nothing caught fire. I do place it on silicone when I'm not using it which i guess is better than leaving it on my cotton board cover. I'm about ready to go back to my heavy Rowena iron but my fear is I won't remember to set it upright. I've definitely gotten used to just setting the iron in the down position.
      Robin
      My Pinterest Page of the Quilts I've Made: http://www.pinterest.com/rwmomto3/quilts-ive-made/

Comment

And all that money for the aggravation. My old B&D steams, shuts itself off and seems to want to live forever. Why is the cute expensive one better?

Comment

I have an Oliso that I no longer use since I got my cordless, which I highly recommend to anyone! However, a friend of mine had the same issues with hers that you are having. I think it is crazy you have to pay shipping for there defective product. My friend got them to ship hers for free. Their warehouses are about twenty miles from my house and they did tell me when I bought mine that if I had any problems, I could just go there.
          pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

A friend and I bought the purple Olisos at JoAnns about a year ago. We aren't crazy about them, I don't feel that is gets any hotter. The only feature I like is the fact that you don't have to pick it all the way up, I've had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands and I don't like heavy irons. I have noticed that in newer tutorials, quilters don't use the Oliso much anymore.
            "She who dies with the most fabric wins"

Ecclesiastes 9:10 "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom."

Julie
            :D

Comment

I prefer steam generators, so a cheap iron isn't going to cut it. I do have an old Sunbeam that will take the extra sole plate the keeps the crud off the iron's plate. I use it for messy stuff. It doesn't steam enough. I live in a dry climate, and we use forced hot air heat. I don't run a vaporizer as I love the dry air.

I can't pull the plug if my thumbs are hurting, but I can turn off the power strip the iron is plugged into.

Comment

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
                I have the blue Oliso, have not had that problem. But it is a good idea to unplug when not using just in case. We don't want all our pretty, expensive fabric stash to get burned up in a fire!!
                I wouldn't care if stash burned as long as cats, husband and my truck are safe.

Comment

Alpha O.....mine does the exact same thing. I have to unplug it from the wall after every use. It's very aggravating to pay extra for certain features, only to have the basics not work.

Comment

Good idea to always turn off the power source as a habit. I have mine connected to a strip electric plug that I can turn off the iron, sewing machine and light at the same time. You might say I have a sort of phobia about leaving anything electric plugged in and ON.

Comment

Originally posted by shirleyknot View Post
                      Why is the cute expensive one better?
                      If you have wrist problems (like carpal tunnel or arthritis) it's worth the extra money not to be in pain. Lifting a steam iron with a tank full of water really aggravates some conditions.

Comment

Doesn't make sense, if you are still putting water in the one that costs more and doesn't work right.

Comment

Good information here....Buyer Beware! I have a nice Rowenta Professional and an old Panasonic with a retractable cord. I worry about the Girls bumping the ironing board and knocking an iron over on themselves. The Oliso appealed to me because the soleplate down feature seems less likely to tip and fall. After hearing these reviews I will just stick to what I have.
                          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I have an "iron prop" that fastens to the end of the ironing board to sit the iron in. They would have to knock the whole board over, which the Oliso wouldn't help.

Comment

I just want one that is light weight ( have wrist issues) and puts out good heat.Old iron about shot. Kathy
                              All quilts cat tested and approved.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X