Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pfaff QE 4.2 VS Viking Sapphire 960Q VS ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pfaff QE 4.2 VS Viking Sapphire 960Q VS ?

I am still on the hunt for a new machine . I have mainly been interested in the Pfaff 4.2, love all the stitches, walking foot and ease of use, ect. In my research, I have come across the Viking Sapphire 960Q. I don't know much about them. I spoke to a sales man for Viking who also does repairs on both. He said they come out of the same factory, but the Viking was like a Cadillac and the Pfaff was like a chevet ( or some other lower class car) He also said that Viking does not have a built in walking foot because it does not need one, that Pfaff HAS to have one because it is not constructed that well. Also that the tension assembly on the Pfaff is bad and the Sapphire is superb. Is this man just blowing smoke up my dress to get a sale? Or is this true..... With the current sales going on right now, the price for either is about 2000.00. Is their another model/ brand I should be looking at? I do not want an embroidery machine. Would like something that I can piece quilts on and do bags and such. Do you know of any places on the web that compare the models?

Thanks for any help you might be able to give.

Ginny

Re: Pfaff QE 4.2 VS Viking Sapphire 960Q VS ?

I love my Sapphire! I've done king sized quilts on it, no problems!
    Katrina
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Patternreview.com is a good resource for reviews of every brand of sewing machine.
      Sherrie
      Life ain’t always beautiful
      But it’s a beautiful ride - Gary Allen

Comment

I love my viking 930 sapphire (it is the model that the 960 replaced). Like you, I was not interested in embroidery. Features that sold me were the auto tension, thread cutter, needle down for pivoting, large throat and stitch quality. I tried many different machines and it came down to a babylock or the viking and the stitch quality is what sold me. I have purchased many of the additional feet and enjoy all the things I can do with my machine.
        Beth

Comment

I wonder if this man knows how to sew. How can a machine not need a walking foot when you are quilting or sewing many layers? Every machine needs a walking foot - Pfaff's version is the IDT.

Did he show you how the tension works on each machine?

He's blowing smoke hoping you'll buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by snippet View Post
            I wonder if this man knows how to sew. How can a machine not need a walking foot when you are quilting or sewing many layers? Every machine needs a walking foot - Pfaff's version is the IDT.

Did he show you how the tension works on each machine?

He's blowing smoke hoping you'll buy it.
            I agree 100%.I won't say much because This makes me extremely mad and angry. I love my Pfaff I have 2 of them. I worked for viking for 2 years and sewed on those machines. What I sewed on them while at work, much had to be ripped and resewn at home on my Pfaff. I would never reccommend a viking not even to my worst enemy let alone own one. They did not have IDT because Pfaff had the rights to it. Although same parent company. Pfaff is worlds ahead of Viking and is the superior machine in every way.
            Of course this is just my opinion formed from 2 years working there and the issues that came up over and over with *the loyal customers. I learned to smile and go home and happily sew on my superior Pfaff.
            sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
            Time spent with cats is never wasted.
            Sigmund Freud

Comment

I love my Pfaff 5.0 - I will never buy any other brand than Pfaff. I love the hover/pivot feature, needle down, knee lift, auto snips, all the decorative stitches, and of course the built in walking foot (Pfaff's IDT).

Comment

Everyone has their own love and it is often what they grew up on. I am on my second Viking and wouldn't buy anything else. Viking owns Pfaff now. To each their own....
                Home is where your mother is..........;)

Comment

I have both Pfaff and Viking machines (embroidery and sewing) In the Viking line I have a Sapphire 960Q, A Designer Ruby, a designer diamond royale and love them but when I really started quilting I was very disappointed in the quilting even with a walking foot (which you have to have to quilt). I worked for Viking for about 2 years and leaned a lot about the machines. I now have a Pfaff Creative Sensation Pro and a Pfaff passport 2.0. I only quilt on the Pfaff using the IDT. The passport is what I carry back and forth to classes but it is a workhorse.

Comment

Viking and Pfaff are BOTH excellent machines!

They really are.

I am a Pfaffie. Will never be without IDT. That is absolutely a sales pitch to try to tell you dual feed is not necessary. EVERY BRAND had some form of dual feed. Pfaff's is superior. It is built in, streamlined, versatile.

It is misleading to say Viking owns Pfaff. Would be equally accurate to say Pfaff owns Viking. They are BOTH owned by the same parent company.

Viking makes an outstanding sewing machine. So does Pfaff.

I HIGHLY recommend YOU personally try out each machine. Every sewist has their own unique style. There IS a machine that will suit you.

It is not that one is "better" than the other. It is that one will be more suitable to the way you sew.
                    Cathryn

Comment

Guess brand wars are everywhere ... Canon vs. Nikon, Ford vs. Chevy, Honda vs. Toyota, Chocolate vs. Vanilla. There is no correct answer, so it really doesn't matter what others say and think! It's ONLY what YOU prefer! Test drive them (part of the fun of researching and buying), choose your favorite, and don't look back!

Comment

I have to agree. Everyone has their own personal fave and reasons why. For me its Pfaff. I worked for viking for 2 years and would never ever own one. Seen too much BS and feel the machines never measured up to my Pfaff. Not to mention things that were done (or not done) for servicing etc. I have sewn on a lot of different machines, kenmore, singer, riccar, white and prefer my Pfaff.
                        So test drive see what fits you and has what you want , not what others say. Then get sewing and enjoy.
                        sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                        Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                        Sigmund Freud

Comment

I definitely agree that you should try a variety of machines to see what suits you the best and not rely totally on reviews or what others say. I just bought the Sapphire 930 and love it, but I've had Viking machines for years, have loved them, and because I go from house to camp I am so glad to have machines that I am familiar with (threading, etc) BUT please try them all and choose the one that you are comfortable with.

Comment

I am with try them both i used viking for years and loved and still do it, and still have it i just got babylock and love it. But. I think test them out , and make sure that whatever you decide you buy fromcdealer you feel comfortable With.

Comment

Working...
                            X