• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chmama
    Rotary Pro
    • Jun 2011

My machine GRRRR

I just got a new sewing machine for my birthday back in April which made me incredibly excited! But now that I've tried it out, I've found that everything I found in the reviews I read on it have gone wrong. It's not a very expensive machine, my mom and dad bought it for me. It's a Singer Simple 3116. I believe that's the model number anyway. Now I can't take it back, it's too late. So I'm stuck with a machine that does nothing but make rat's nests on the bottom of the fabric, the feeding dogs(I think that's what they're called) are stuck in the lowered position, and the reverse lever has broken off with one use, plus the bobbin case underneath catches the top thread and tangles everything. Soooooo, my real question for anyone is, What should I do about it? I'm kind of stuck, not enough money to buy a new one, heck I still haven't been able to get simple tools to make a quilt! And what would be a good machine that I could look for that won't cost an arm and a leg that I could pass info on to my mom? Help!!!
  • quilter.martha
    Missouri Star
    • May 2011

Re: My machine GRRRR

Isn't it still under warranty? If things are breaking it's a lemon and Singer should take it back. It's at least worth a try. Good luck and so sorry for your frustration.
    When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

• Bubby
      Missouri Star
      • Jun 2011

I would make every effort to return your machine. It should be under warranty for at least a year. Check with your parents and see if they have the receipt....you have rights as a consumer. If the place where the machine was purchased won't help I would contact the Singer Sewing Machine Company. Barb
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• Txgrandma
        The Guild President
        • Jul 2011

I agree with Barb. They should Stand by the warranty on that machine. It sounds like the dealer your parents got it from is trying to pull a fast one. If you don't get satisfaction from them contact the Singer Company directly, they will surely do something for you. I would hold out for a new machine maybe the next model up from what you have and just pay the difference in the cost perhaps. Just tell them after all the trouble you have had from the beginning with this one you wouldn't feel comfortable with another one just like it. Either that or demand you money back and go shopping. I love my Janome 4618LE it is a workhorse of a machine and not a bit of problem with it. Just take it in about once a year for standard service. Good luck.
        Mary
        A bed without a quilt, is like a sky without stars:)

Comment

• chmama
          Rotary Pro
          • Jun 2011

Thank you all so much for your suggestions. I will definitely give it a shot to try and work something out with the store. If it doesn't work, I'll try Singer directly. Any suggestions for a better machine? I've been wanting something a bit more durable, less plastic pieces and levers than what this one has.

Comment

• Mimis-quilts
            Missouri Star
            • Mar 2011

I agree with the others...definitely try to return it or get ahold of the company. It's not even 3 months and it's falling apart! That is CRAZY!!!!!
            LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Comment

• meemeecyn
              Missouri Star
              • Apr 2011

Singer should stand behind it as well as the store where it was bought. So sorry to hear you are having such problems with it......good luck, chmama.

Comment

• Katherine Vickery Ringo
                Applique Angel
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by chmama View Post
                Thank you all so much for your suggestions. I will definitely give it a shot to try and work something out with the store. If it doesn't work, I'll try Singer directly. Any suggestions for a better machine? I've been wanting something a bit more durable, less plastic pieces and levers than what this one has.
                If you want something really durable purchase a vintage Singer from the 40's or 50's. I found a 201-2 online on Craiglist and just got it tuned up, worked great and sewed beautifully. Perfect for the budget conscious quilter.
                Katie's Quilting Corner - Blog, Podcast and More!
                Don't miss Free Pattern Friday posts!
                Pinterest

Comment

• mrswindy4
                  The Guild President
                  • Dec 2009

I had that issue when I bought my Singer Simple...for me, a tension adjustment was all I needed!!

My sister told me how to do it, but I cant explain it to you, so I found this video for you to try. Let me know if this helps!! Its worth a shot!

How and Why to adjust the bobbin tension when using different threads in the bobbin of your sewing machine - especially when machine quilting. Don't be scare...
                  ~Mary
                  As ye sew, so shall ye rip.

Comment

• BarbiePhobia
                    UN-Biased
                    • Jul 2011

So sorry to hear about your machine.. that's always an awful feeling! -hugs- I do so hope you can get it serviced or replaced! I also hope the dealer your parents purchased it from was a licensed one, as some warranties are void unless purchased from such. =( Lets hope that's not the case for you!

As for a good model... I've only ever used Brother. Singer is awesome though. I got my Brother SQ9000 on ebay for MUCH cheaper than the retail price (and from a licensed dealer)! The only thing my machine is doing that I'm none too happy about is that it's fussy with polyester threads. ^-^

I hope you find your machine!

Comment

• chmama
                      Rotary Pro
                      • Jun 2011

mrswindy4 thanks for the video! I tried it and still had problems. I've got too many things going on with it! I'm looking for other machines that I can replace it with. Sears is a licensed dealer, right? I would think so. It's going to take me a bit to take it in as I live in the middle of nowhere. I can't drive and my husband works all day long. But I can always make phone calls!! Thanks for everyones' suggestions!

Comment

• BarbiePhobia
                        UN-Biased
                        • Jul 2011

Yes, I'm sure sears is a licensed dealer. ^-^ And I know what you mean by the middle of nowhere. Same here!
                        I don't drive either... it frightens me so.

I hope they can help you with another machine. *is crossing her fingers for ya*

Originally posted by chmama View Post
                        mrswindy4 thanks for the video! I tried it and still had problems. I've got too many things going on with it! I'm looking for other machines that I can replace it with. Sears is a licensed dealer, right? I would think so. It's going to take me a bit to take it in as I live in the middle of nowhere. I can't drive and my husband works all day long. But I can always make phone calls!! Thanks for everyones' suggestions!

Comment

Working...
                        X