• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TMP
    commented on 's reply
    ohhh it looks nice but it is expensive!

• Sunflr
    replied
    I have the Oliso MSQC version. So far its been good...……...haven't had it only since Thanksgiving. It has lots of features and even My husband thinks its really cool!

Leave a comment:

• GuitarGramma
    replied
    I'll tell you about one you should NOT get: The EuroSteam, available at quilt shows and QVC.

I used to rave about my EuroSteam, especially here on the forum. I'd read some bad reviews, but I was sure that those problems stemmed from people not following directions. So I emptied my iron each and every time I used it and followed all directions to a "T". It lasted a couple of years. But then, I believe an internal gasket either dried out or split. Suddenly the iron's handle started heating up with every use. It was painfully hot. If I did use the iron, I had to get a hot pad from the kitchen, because the handle was SO hot.

Having said that, my new favorite iron is the older Panasonic cordless iron, the one that's shaped like an iron, not like a pointy football. As irons go, it's pretty affordable, and it works really well. I've had mine for at least five years and I have no complaints. I love that I can remove the water container and walk it to the sink to fill, leaving the iron on its base to re-heat.

The one downside with cordless irons is that you have to stay mindful of putting them back on the base to re-heat at least every two minutes. I don't mind that, because I don't have to manipulate a cord. But if manipulating cords doesn't bother you, but re-heating a cordless sounds like a bother, then you'll be happier with a corded iron.

Good luck! Let us know what you buy!

Leave a comment:

• auntstuff
    replied
    I bought my Black and Decker almost 18 years ago when I bought this farm. Still using it.

Leave a comment:

• grammaterry
    replied
    I have a rowenta that is 20 plus years old. Great iron. I have an oliso that my DD bought and its ok but I wouldn't have spent the money for it even though its fine. It does leak . Of course, the directions tell you to empty the water out each time.

Leave a comment:

• ktdid
    commented on 's reply
    I have a travel iron from G.E. 1950's and I've used it lots...it can get so hot it scorches. I thought about getting rid of it, it's perfect for pressing while piecing where I have my ironing board next to me it's level with my chair. Are you interested??

• KarenC
    replied
    I have the Panasonic cordless. After two years, the water tank was leaking everywhere. I now use it without water. You do have to reheat it in the base a lot. I think it is great for piecing, but am not a fan of it when it comes to ironing wide backs

Leave a comment:

• 201 Treadler
    replied
    When my iron £7.50 went bang, replaced with a mini russell hobbs iron, not put any water in it, have a fine spray bottle instead, also use a similar roller to this, that was a gift on a quilting magazine, the prym iron was always highly promoted in UK before the big oliso came. No mini Oliso yet.

Leave a comment:

• jjkaiser
    commented on 's reply
    Well here is an update. I still have my Oliso but it doesn't seem to steam as good as it did when it was new. I steam almost everything. I am a little disappointed, it's almost like mfg purposely make products that start breaking down after 4-5 years.

• Momofmonsters5
    replied
    I buy cheap, I did invest in a rowenta and it leaked. I've had the same cheap iron for years and happy with it. It has a retractable cord. I found irons are best when they don't cost alot! My opinion. I'm snobby about about everything else quilting.

Leave a comment:

• Grey Lady
    replied
    For me, the best solution is one of each. My German made Rowenta is on my 18X48 inch ironing board for large pieces with steam. The cordless Panasonic is beside my sewing machine, used on a 17x24 inch wool pad with no steam (a mister is there too). I love the set up.

Leave a comment:

• texadillo
    replied
    Re: best iron for quilting?

I just got one from Reliable. Its the orange/white one. OMG! I love it. Rather than just making steam it generates it and pushes it out. I've gotten the half-fold crease out of my fabric which is something I never could with my Rowenta. images.jpg

Leave a comment:

• bajasadie
    replied

I have a cordless Panosonic- love love love it! Bought it at WalMart.... About $70-75.00.

Leave a comment:

• jjkaiser
    replied

My last two irons were Rowenta and only lasted about 4 yrs then started leaking water all over the place. Last Rowenta the cord actually started on fire--good thing I was right there when that happened (unplug your iron when not using it everybody!!) Now I have an Oliso got on sale, blue one, $49.00 at Jo Ann's. I just love everything about it. Steam is sxcellent!!! Have only had it 2 months so nothing has gone wrong with it yet.

Leave a comment:

• bscuzz
    replied

I have a small (not the smallest out there since I also have a mini) Hamilton Beach dry/steam iron. Ordered fm Amazon 'n I love it! I use it on a TV tray ironing pad right next to my SM - I especially like it because you can use the steam vertically, meaning if your quilt is on a design wall, you can use the steam iron on the quilt while it's hanging.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X