Erasable Pens - Marks Remove Completely with Hot Iron or Dryer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Erasable Pens - Marks Remove Completely with Hot Iron or Dryer

I heard about this at my last guild meeting and tested it out yesterday. They work perfectly!

Pilot FriXion Ball Fine Point, Black Erasable Gel Ink Pens, 2-Pack

Pilot FriXion Ball Pen, Erasable Gel Ink, Fine Point, Assorted Colors 6 pack: Black, Blue, Red, Pink, Orange, Purple

I took a video of the marks erasing when a hot iron is applied. You can see how well it works!

I don't have to worry about it rubbing off before I need it to.
    Katie's Quilting Corner - Blog, Podcast and More!
    Don't miss Free Pattern Friday posts!
    Pinterest

Re: Erasable Pens - Marks Remove Completely with Hot Iron or Dryer

Katie, that is so amazing! I've got to get one, maybe the whole color pack! No more spraying of water and then waiting for it to dry to "erase" the blue marker! Yeah!!!!

Did you order yours online from Amazon or did you find it locally?
    When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

I just ordered from Amazon. I've heard Staples carries them sometimes but they can get expensive depending on what store you buy them at. I've heard online retailers have the best prices. I didn't want to bother hunting around for them and just ordered a 2-pack to try them out.

A few of the guys in my guild used these pens to mark a top for cross hatching and when they were finished quilting they just threw it in the dryer and all the marks disappeared perfectly. They brought it to guild and you couldn't see any marks on it at all days later! It is an amazing product.
      Pinterest

Comment

That's just MAGIC! Thanks for the tip.
        ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

Thank you for sharing this exciting product. I'm definitely going to try this out. Thanks again, Barb
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

That is awesome, thanks for sharing. Much more impressive is the video you made and posted - I can't even post a picture w/o my kids helping me!!!

Comment

Love this project and the fact that you made the video to show it to all of us! Thanks. Will be looking for this pen to purchase. Looks amazing!

Comment

MSQC has them as well

http://www.missouriquiltco.com/this-...x7-blk-bc.html $2.95 for a single pen
                K is for Karen 😊​..................
                Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                T - is it TRUE?
                H - is it HELPFUL?
                I - is it INSPIRING?
                N - is it NECESSARY?
                K - is it KIND?

Comment

Just a warning that someone sent me - always test these pens before using them on a project. A few people have reported the marks returning when a quilt is exposed to temperatures below 14 degrees F. A quick tap with an iron or run in the dryer and they disappear again though.

Some have reported that washing the quilt will keep the marks from re-appearing no matter what temperature you expose the fabric to. Use at your own discretion!
                  Pinterest

Comment

I LUV IT!!!... just yesterday I saw your video
                    thanx for sharing Katie.

Hummmm.... I wonder if I can Donate! my other ones and right them off on my INCOME TAX for Next Year....
                    Orrrrr Notion SWAP Them!!

:icon_popcorn:~When life throws you scraps make a quilt.~

Comment

The Quilt Shop where I do strip club has them and they tested them. The marks will come back at 14 degrees or below or if you put them in the freezer. The only thing they haven't tested and was going to test was if the marks come back after the quilt or project has been washed and dried and then placed either in the freezer or at 14 degrees or lower. Since it doesn't get to 14 degress much here Georgia we use the freezer to test the coldness response.

Have a great day. Lynne

Comment

Originally posted by LynneLeavell View Post
                        The Quilt Shop where I do strip club has them and they tested them. The marks will come back at 14 degrees or below or if you put them in the freezer. The only thing they haven't tested and was going to test was if the marks come back after the quilt or project has been washed and dried and then placed either in the freezer or at 14 degrees or lower. Since it doesn't get to 14 degress much here Georgia we use the freezer to test the coldness response.

Have a great day. Lynne
                        Yep I know several people have tested this. Someone on another forum posted this:
                        You may all remember the discussion about the new FriXion Pens made by Pilot Pen. They disappear with heat, either by rubbing with the eraser on the pen or by using an iron. There is a slight residue (clear) left behind, but we have found that it comes out with synthrapol. The big question was, is the chemical in the pen and any possible residue that does not wash out, likely to degrade fabric over time? Well, I called and asked to talk to someone about the chemicals in FriXion pens and was told that was proprietary information. Sigh. I explained that I did not need to know the precise chemical make-up of the pens, I simply needed to know if there was anything in them that was likely to erode fabric over time. About the best I could get, and it seems to ease my mind, is that the ink in the pens is not acid-based and will not harm fabric. The only caution is that it is not archival ink -- because it disappears! Which is what we want!! I think I'm going to test them out on a small wallhanging or something of the sort. If I like the results after ironing and then washing the quilt in synthrapol, I will rejoice in a great new tool!

Linda

P.S. Someone on another list just told me that Sharon Schamber recommended using these. That's good enough for me!

Actually, I've done a couple of tests with them, and they don't ever completely disappear. That ink, I think, will always be there. I've written on fabric, ironed it off, put it in the freezer, and it comes back. I've written on fabric, ironed it off, washed it in Synthrapol, put it in the freezer, and it comes back. I've also done the same with Retayne, and it always comes back. Now, I'm not inclined to put my blankies in the freezer, and I'd probably use this on some of my own quilts, but I don't think I'd use it for customers, unless I had discussed all the possibilities with them and they were cool with it.
                        Pinterest

Comment

WHAT KIND OF PEN IS THIS?????

Originally posted by Katherine Vickery Ringo View Post
                          I heard about this at my last guild meeting and tested it out yesterday. They work perfectly!

Pilot FriXion Ball Fine Point, Black Erasable Gel Ink Pens, 2-Pack

Pilot FriXion Ball Pen, Erasable Gel Ink, Fine Point, Assorted Colors 6 pack: Black, Blue, Red, Pink, Orange, Purple

I took a video of the marks erasing when a hot iron is applied. You can see how well it works!

I don't have to worry about it rubbing off before I need it to.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurie Stone View Post
                            WHAT KIND OF PEN IS THIS?????
                            The links are in the original post. Pilot Gel pen called the FriXion pen.
                            Pinterest

Comment

Found these at the local office supply store.....$5.49 for a set of 3.....one black, one red, one blue. Not tried them out yet, but excited about them. Thanks for the info!

Comment

Working...
                              X