Seam Ripper Warning!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seam Ripper Warning!

Hi! I bought a new (for me) kind of seam ripper the other day. It's a long, grey one with a cap and has more of a sickle shape blade. BE CAREFUL!!! I pulled off the longish cap, not thinking twice about it, and instantly deeply cut my finger. So be extremely careful when pulling off that cap, my fellow quilting buddies...! From now on, I pull that cap off very slowly and carefully...gotta keep those quilting fingers in prime time shape!

Re: Seam Ripper Warning!

Ouch!!! I have, unfortunately, done similar tricks! Hope your cut isn't too bad.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Sorry about the cut. Hope it wasn't deep enough for stitches. We all need to be cautious around seam rippers and rotary cutters. Take care and thanks for the advise on the new seam rippers.
      Susan

Comment

Thanks for the reminder! Hope your cut isn't too serious and that you're all better soon!
        There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

We don't call it "jack the ripper' for nothing! Seriously, hope it isn't too bad and you are able to sew again real soon!

Comment

yup, I second what everyone said.

Comment

Learning by doing! Hope the cut doesn't interfere too much with your work or sewing. Wishing you a quick healing!
              sigpicgreetings from the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg

Michèle

Comment

Thank you for your concerns about my cut! Thankfully I did not require stitches, but it easily could have turned into that and that is why I wanted to warn everyone about the hidden danger of this new, (for me anyway) sickle shaped seam ripper. Have a happy and successful quilting day, everyone!

Comment

Even regular seam rippers can be NASTY. If re-capping while not paying close attention it's EASY to jam that little bugger right up under your fingernail....can you say OUCH.

Glad yours wasn't worse!

Comment

Thank you for the reminder. We all can use that!!
                    Melanee

Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Comment

always good to remind us to "think" when using anything with a blade type end... those "surgical style" blades can make light work of "unsewing", but we need to remember the reason they do!!!! Stay vigil....
                      "Each day well-lived and Happy;
                      that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

Thank God it was only minor. Thanks for the reminder!

Monique
                        Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

The blade-style seam ripper has become my new favorite (aside from its sharp, dangerous blade, of course).

I've attached the URL of the one that I bought, but it works so well & seems to cut a seam faster than the other style. It took me a few times to figure out the "trick" to it though. If you cut every 3rd stitch on one side of the seam, the pieces of fabric will just pull apart. If you have any seam hanging up as you're pulling apart, just use the blade to cut the seam in that spot. Love it! http://www.amazon.com/Dritz-Curved-B.../dp/B000YZ8N9G
                          - Amy Sellers
                          http://nursinginfluence.com
                          :D

Comment

Working...
                          X