Janome 8900 help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Janome 8900 help please

i've had the 8900 for over a year and the only time i had problems with stitches it was my fault. I didn't realize it until it was the last thing I tried. I use the knee lifter and I discovered that my leg was ever so slightly touching the lifter. once i took the lifter out, stitches were fine. put it back and when I made sure my leg was not touching the lifter the stitches were fine. as soon as I 'relaxed' and my leg touched the lifter, stitches were loose again. there is a bit of adjustment you can make with the lifter and once i did that, haven't had a problem. I use schmeetz needles, guterman, aurifil, and king tut thread....no problems with any.

Comment

I have the same machine. I love my machine. It generally does a great job, but I have noticed a skipped stitch here and there if I go over a bulky seam too fast. I find that if I go slowly where many seams meet, then I can usually avoid the skipped stitches.

Comment

[QUOTE=gshalom;767063]i've had the 8900 for over a year and the only time i had problems with stitches it was my fault. I didn't realize it until it was the last thing I tried. I use the knee lifter and I discovered that my leg was ever so slightly touching the lifter.

I think I may have accidentally done this too. Gotta remember that the knee lifter is there so you don't accidentally bump it and mess up a stitch.

Comment

I have two Janomes and have never had a problem with skipped stitches with either one. Only problem I had when I got my first one was the thread in the bobbin wasn't winding tight. There wasn't anything wrong with the machine. Just user error. Once I figured out how to get it tight on the bobbin both machines sew perfectly.

Comment

I am sorry you are having problems with your Janome 8900. Like Millie my problem was with winding my bobbin and not using the correct bobbin. Are you using the proper Janome plastic bobbin in the machine, I bought other bobbins for my machine that looked the same but they were just a little off. Also when winding my bobbins, I found I was not "catching" the thread completely in one of the guides when winding, thus the bobbin thread was not tight and this caused skipped stitches.

I also use a 90/14 needle and my machine likes aurifil and gutterman thread. Once I figured that out mine sews just fine.

Comment

Any new updates on this? I purchased this machine earlier this year and sometimes it sews like a dream but now I find myself doing 4 patch squares and everything goes fine until I try to sew over a seam intersection. SO frustrating. I've changed back to basic Coats thread (after starting with the illustrious A thread and then another 'premium' thread) and cleaned everything, rethreaded, tried 3-4 different point size needles - and now I have upped the pressure foot to 5 then 6. Still no success. So tired of ripping seams! Argh. Going to rewind yet another bobbin and go from there - hope to hear back from someone even though this forum thread has been here awhile.

P.S. Also of course tried the accufeed. And tried slowing the machine way down so I could watch the needle closely as it approached the 'bump in the road'.
              Last edited by bumblebeelyfe; September 25, 2015, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Welcome from Michigan. I have no issues with my 8900. I use 90/14 Schmetz? Needles and have no issues either with my accufeed or not. Have you tried using your straight stitch plate while sewing?
                Last edited by Kim T; September 25, 2015, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Also when I got my machine I wasn't winding my bobbin correctly. I wasn't catching the thread all the way when I was rounding the corner from the spool to the bobbin winder. Don't know if that makes sense or not.

Comment

I have this machine also. Typically use Aurifil with Klasse 80/12 needles and it runs great. Only time I have skipped stitches is when the needle needs to be changed. I also put a Little Genie magic bobbin washer in the bobbin. I don't know if it really makes a difference, but I saw someone use them when I first started and have used them ever since.
                    Molly
                    Gig 'Em and God Bless :icon_tup:

Comment

I had a machine that had problems with bobbin winder, so the bobbins were not would consistently or tightly. Resulted in terrible stitches, skipped stitches,etc. When I took it into dealer to deal with it. I was told that could be everything! He fixed bobbin winder and I was cured. Now, last year I bought a new Elna 720 (same machine as Janoke 6600). Had poor stitch quality, tension was difficult, noisy, and accufeed needle bar seemed to drag when it descended, and I was sure I made a mistake. After 3 months, took it in to Janome dealer to service. They cleaned and 'lubed' machine - it sewed a heck of a lot better than it did out of the box! And the tech told me to add a drop of oil onto the wick when I cleaned thebobbin case (about every 2-3 bobbins depending on thread type). Last but not least,he told me that even schmetz recommends Organ needles if the machine is made in Asia. They are very very slightly shorter. Boy can I see the difference! Can use schmetz but I fight my stitch quality. My machine doesn't like quilting with top stitch needles but does beautifully with isacord or superior and size 12 organ universals or sharps. Think you need to have the machine serviced by Janome service center. Take your a wound bobbin and example of your sewn fabric to show them what's what. Ask for thorough cleaning Top and bottom of machine. Good luck!

Comment

I have this problem too with my new 8900QCP Special Edition bought just a couple of months ago. It mainly happens when I'm sewing a binding on a quilt at the corner mitres. Sometimes the skipped stitch can be 1/2" or more long. The following solution is not the best but it has solved the problem for me. Jump to the 8.30 mark on the video and check out the small plastic device used to sew over thick seams. It turns out that I already had one of these. It came with a Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.0 machine I bought last year. It also has a useful hole for holding the needle for inserting into a machine. Interestingly the machine used in the video is a Pfaff with their so-called famous dual feed system.

Presumably you can find these plastic gizmos in stores in the US and elsewhere:

Clearance Plate - Haberdashery - Haberdashery (Sewing items, threads, gadgets) - Sewing Machine Warehouse

So far this is my only disappointment with the machine and shouldn't happen considering how expensive it is.
                        ~: Ron :~

"You cut up fabric and then sow it back together again? Really?"

Comment

I have this machine and I noticed the skipped stitches over seams when using the quarter-inch foot. So I stopped using that foot for a while. However, I have recently made a couple of quilts and used that same foot with no problems. So I don't have any advice for you.
                          The trail is the thing----Louis L'Amour

Comment

Working...
                          X