Which embroidery machine to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which embroidery machine to buy?

I'm really wanting to personalize my quilts by using an embroidery machine; however, I have a budget, so I'm thinking of buying used. Do any of my fellow quilters own an embroidery machine? If so, what would you recommend as a good one for a newbie to use, and also would not be something that would be obsolete within a few years?

Thanks so much! I value everyone's opinion!

Dawn

Re: Which embroidery machine to buy?

I myself have a Pfaff 2170 only because I bought it from a friend whose wife had had a stroke. I have friends who have a brother and a Janome> I love mine but it has been trial and error in learning how to use it. I had made a couple quilts with just embroidery design and i embroidery a label for all my quilts. Good luck.

Comment

I have Husqvarna Viking sewing/embroidery machines and I love them. They aren't the lowest on the pricing scale, but not the highest either. I purchased them used. but from a dealer that is a certified tech as well, so I knew they were in great shape and I
      haven't had a bit of trouble with them. Just this week, I knocked the housing cover off of the tension disks, I took it in and in less
      than 5 minutes I was headed back out the door repaired machine in hand at NO charge. Just telling that to show how important it is to have a dealer/repair shop close,if at all possible, and to have a good trusting relationship with them as well. If you have a dealer
      nearby, go in and test drive some machines, it will give you the best idea of what you want to buy.
      :icon_wave: http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/

Comment

I've had a Brother ULT for 8-9 years now. Never had any trouble with it. Brother is very user friendly.
        “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

There are lots of good machines on the market. Stick with the ones that have a good reputation and you should be fine. Lola's advice is very important. Go to the dealer in your area. I have a Janome Memorycraft 11000 and have been very happy with it. Janome, Husqvarna Viking, Brother, Bernina, Pfaff - all good manufacturers of sewing machines.
          Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

i have a babylock that I love. for a beginner i would say the brother. I have never had one but have heard good things about them and they tend to be the cheapest. It is all about the dealer though. make sure you have a good one you like
            Patrice

Comment

Thanks everyone! I was hoping to find a good used Husqvarna Designer 1, but they are still really costly! I've been also looking at the Brother SE400, which is reasonably priced used and new, but wasn't wanting to get one and then find out...oops, you can't get anymore patterns for it, or it isn't compatible, or whatever might come up! Thanks so much...if anyone else wants to chime in, I would love to hear more - Dawn

Comment

I really like the Brother for ease of use etc, they are great machines, They are all USB etc now so I don't think they will go out of compatiblity, for many years, and there are thousands of downloadable designs. I'm sure you will love whatever you buy.
                :icon_wave: Sunny

Blog: www.threesmallfryprimitives.blogspot.com

Facebook: Threesmallfry Primitives

Comment

I have a Bernina 200 and love it. I think they are all user friendly once you get the user trained. LOL
                  Again make sure you have a dealer that you like and that is close, because no matter what you buy I am sure you will have questions. A lot of dealers will offer a mastering class that you can take that will show you everything you can do with your machine. If you buy from them that might be included, but you can pay for the class, if you buy privately. Good luck and let us know what you buy.
                  JVO

Comment

i LOVE MY bROTHER DUETTA 4500 ive had it almost 4 years now. i have embroidered from here to california on it. it sews too. go to brother.com and check them out. the have a product video demo too. the new quattro is more expensive. love my duetta.

Originally posted by dpaulson512 View Post
                    I'm really wanting to personalize my quilts by using an embroidery machine; however, I have a budget, so I'm thinking of buying used. Do any of my fellow quilters own an embroidery machine? If so, what would you recommend as a good one for a newbie to use, and also would not be something that would be obsolete within a few years?

Thanks so much! I value everyone's opinion!

Dawn

Comment

I recently bought a Brother SE350 from Craig's list and am happy with it but if I had known I would have bought the 400 or higher since downloading designs has improved with that model. I think you can use Babylock as well as Brother designs. I have downloaded a couple of designs from the web but can't figure out for the life of me how to get them from "my documents" into the "ped" download thingie that I bought.)

Comment

Have you looked at the Babylock Sophia 2? I saw it at a quilt show and thought it looked like a fantastic starter embroidery machine. It will do a 4" x 4" area. Also works as a regular sewing machine. The show I was at was selling it for $600, normal price in the store is $800 apparently.
                        Katie's Quilting Corner - Blog, Podcast and More!
                        Don't miss Free Pattern Friday posts!
                        Pinterest

Comment

I have the Brother PE770, under $800 and use it daily with no problems. It has a USB port so designs are endless

Comment

Originally posted by Claire Hallman View Post
                            I recently bought a Brother SE350 from Craig's list and am happy with it but if I had known I would have bought the 400 or higher since downloading designs has improved with that model. I think you can use Babylock as well as Brother designs. I have downloaded a couple of designs from the web but can't figure out for the life of me how to get them from "my documents" into the "ped" download thingie that I bought.)
                            Update, I have figured it out and have even bought another machine. I would not limit myself to a 4x4 embroidery space if I had it to do over again. I now have two Brothers, a 350 and a 700. They both need a card to embroider downloaded designs but that has not been a problem. The 700 series has several models some with usb ports and some not.
                            I am having fun with the PE Design Lite, too.
                            With a little perseverance you will be doing amazing things in no time.

Comment

My mom and I have a Husquarvna that we bought used from a dealer. Love this machine- we haven't had any trouble with it and have had it for over a year or so. We also use it for regular sewing and quilting.

Comment

Working...
                              X