Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick break to toast the idea of "coffee filters"!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick break to toast the idea of "coffee filters"!

I am cranking out a couple of charity quilts and am trying one for Blondie's COC...I read about using the coffee filters to make easy circles for applique... I bought the filters yesterday... today I pressed out a few... and gave it a whirl... a bit timid at first, I thought the paper seemed flimsy.. BUT,, I'm here to tell you it worked without a hitch..

I pressed the filter flat... layed it on the right side of my 4patch, pinned it in 2 places,, stitched around using about a 1.8 to 2 stitch length , presser foot's width, trimmed to paper all around... made a small slit in the filter.. then made about 1-1/2" clips within that slit in the NSEW directions... then gently turned RSO... (don't have to worry the filter is pretty sturdy)...tugged the fabric a bit in each direction.. then used a LARGE plastic knitting needle to run along the seem... Pressed from the right side... I'll have 16 circles done in about an hour... Wanted to share this,, I know it's been posted before,, but could not resist,, because I was so pleased with "smart self"!! GB
    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

Re: Quick break to toast the idea of "coffee filters"!

I also have used coffee filters to make circles. It is a snap! Here is what I made.
    image.jpg

Comment

That's an adorable quilt, Daytonalady! I really like all the fabrics you used in it. Won't the coffee filters make the quilt feel like there's paper inside it? Or perhaps you remove most of the paper after you turn the piece to the right side? Did you use coffee filters to save on the cost of lightweight interfacing?
      Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; March 26, 2014, 01:25 PM.
      Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Rebecca, I've never done this, but I know that the coffee filters, when they are wet, so they will be more limber when they are laundered. They use the coffee filters because they are round . . . makes it easier to get a turned edge on the circles. Me? I applique down with a raw edge because I'm lazy.
        Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
        it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

OOOOOO.. I LOVE this on the HST!! Yet another design idea... too bad I just cut out all the background squares LOL
          There's always #2 right
          Originally posted by Daytonalady View Post
          I also have used coffee filters to make circles. It is a snap! Here is what I made.
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]71946[/ATTACH]

Comment

I was thinking of giving them a trim to within a scant 1/2" before stitching them to the background square.. and YES,,, I am saving a few pennies using the filters...sure do have a lot of them for $1.49 per 100 at Stop and Shop....LOL
            Hummmmmmmm.. just think how many circles I can make
            I know... Sandy is about to go type... something like.... Duh,,, I'd say about 100!!!! See I am a Math wiz after all...

Comment

I've definitely included this pattern in my "ideas for quilts" folder. Thanks for the explanation, ladies.

Comment

One more thing I'd like to ask - how large are the half-square triangles in the quilt, Daytonalady?

Comment

Interesting. So you don't trim out the filters? Not quite sure about how that works.

Comment

Really cute quilt!

I'm a bit confused by this. Are you using it as a stabilizer? I never use them on applique. If you want to save on fusibles there is a basting glue that works great. Amazon.com: Roxanne Glue Baste-It 2 oz.: Arts, Crafts & Sewing
                    🌺 Lorie

Comment

My pattern was created by Cottonseed Glory, a quilt store in Annapolis, MD.
                      I used 4 cup filters, pressed open. After sewing to fabric turn and trim filter 1/4" from stitching.
                      For background cut 9x9" square, cut corner to corner if using 2 colors and sew one of each color together.
                      Center circle in center and top stitch down.
                      My colors were to be like water and sand with beach scene circles.
                      Happy you all liked it and am willing to share.

Comment

P.S --- the idea of using the coffee filter is to keep from drawing circles and cutting them out!

Comment

Very nice!!! Now...off to steal some of DH's coffee filters and try this.
                          Shirley aka buckeyequilter
                          I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

Originally posted by Daytonalady View Post
                            My pattern was created by Cottonseed Glory, a quilt store in Annapolis, MD.
                            I used 4 cup filters, pressed open. After sewing to fabric turn and trim filter 1/4" from stitching.
                            For background cut 9x9" square, cut corner to corner if using 2 colors and sew one of each color together.
                            Center circle in center and top stitch down.
                            My colors were to be like water and sand with beach scene circles.
                            Happy you all liked it and am willing to share.
                            I ...LOVE... That...Quilt!!! My families 'Man Cave' (my sewing area is just a little section of that) is all Nautical themed. I am totally borrowing your idea!!!
                            sigpicMiss Sheri

For me, it's all about Love, . . . Always!

Comment

I like this idea, less fabric wasted. Then you can cut out the circle of fabric in the background, square it up and use in the border
                              Karen
                              Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Working...
                              X