Janome or Juki

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Janome or Juki

I am new to sewing and quilting. I have been sewing a lot for the last few months and am ready to upgrade from my crapy Walmart sewing machine. It has served it's learning purpose and can't keep up with the projects I want to venture into now.

I went to a sew & vac the other day and fell in love with the Juki ExceedHZL-F300 maybe just because that's the one the sales person focused on demonstrating. I really liked it, but I keep reading people recommending Janome more.

Please help if you have any experience or insight that could help. I do not want to fall for a sales man tricks.

I do not care for too many stitches
    I mostly sew straight stitches and quilt
    I really want to explore free motion quilting (my current machine has not been good for this)

If you recommend a Janome instead of a Juki what would be best a DC2014, the Magnolia, or the 2030DC??

Thank you for your help!
    -Kristal

http://bonitocolour.blogspot.com/

Re: Janome or Juki

I do not have either of these brands, but I would also recommend looking at sewing pattern review website--great reviews of many, many machines. Good luck!

Comment

Check out the many posts on here as well about sewing machines. There have been several recently
      Karen
      Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

You should try out the Pfaff machines. There is a big difference even just sewing a straight stitch. The IDT™ system guarantees absolutely even fabric feed from top and bottom. It really does sew a more even straight seam!
        Have a Sewonderful Day,
        Mary T.

Comment

I have never used a Juki, but I do love my Janome! (I have the 7700)

But really, while most of us get very "brand loyal" there are many great machines (and brands) out there. I had to test drive a few different ones before I fell in love with my Janome. Once I tested this machine, I knew it was the one for me. So maybe go to some different stores and test drive a variety of machines. You don't have to buy them there, just give them a try. I think you'll know once you sit down at the one that is perfect for you!

Good luck!!
          Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

I am upgrading from a junky sewing machine too. If you are mostly looking to quilt then I would look for machine with the biggest throat space in budget. I don't think you can go wrong with a juki or a janome as people seem to love them. I think the Juki's only straight stitch though so I didn't look at them.

I don't know what your top budget is, but you might want to look at the pfaff essential. I sewed on a pfaff Ambition (one step up from the essential) at the quilt festival last year, and the idt is awesome. I think they msrp for 799, but you should be able to get it cheaper than the msrp.

Comment

My repair girl swears by Juki, and I did test drive one with decorative stitches. I LOVED it, just not ready to make the financial commitment, yet. Let us know what you decide on, though. I don't think you can wrong with either brands...
              I really need to get off the exclamation point.
              It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

Comment

I got a new Janome 8900 after many years of a basic Kenmore. I made the choice because so many people in my guild(s) had Janomes and all were completely satisfied and because I could buy one locally. And get it serviced locally, with no issues. I have never tried a Juki, if you go that route, be sure it can do all you will want it to. Satin Stitch, blanket stitch. Thread cutter (life saver), needle down etc. My Kenmore was a limited stitch machine and although it did straight stitch okay it was like your Walmart machine, it just couldn't compete with my growing creativity. Check out lots of websites, ask girls in your local guild and go to shops (without your wallet) to try machines.

Comment

Either are good affordable machines.. I have many Janomes,,, but I've heard and seen nothing but good about Juki.. and Japanese made product are engineered well..i would go for the one that your local favorite "repair guy" likes to work on or recommends.. always good to be safe in having a person to help when needed... B
                  "Each day well-lived and Happy;
                  that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

I think some models of Juki are actually made by Janome, including the one you are looking at. I am pretty sure the straight stitch machines are clones of each other.

Comment

I have the Juki TL 2010Q (straight stitch only). I've had it since December and I really like it. It has a large throat space and a big extension table, built in thread cutter (button or foot pedal) and it sews really fast. I haven't tried FMQ on it yet.
                      *~* Myrna *~*
                      *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

I have one of each ....Have to run right now but I will write more later today. My Juki is a straight stitch only and is a few years old. My Janome is a Kenmore name machine but made by them. Juki is a machine that was mostly...in the past...an industrial type machine...all metal parts and almost indestructible. You could probably sew leather with mine. My Janome clone machine does lots of decorative stitches. My Juki cost about $600 and is about 3 yrs. old. My Kenmore/Janome was about $350. My Janome is almost impossible to do a good FMQ stitch...tension is very difficult to get adjusted to do FMQ. Janome did FMQ stitching evenly from GO. Large throat on Juki but only does straight stitches. I have seen that Juki has really expanded their variety of machines in recent years and they now have lots of models with decorative stitches like blanket stitch etc. So, it depends on what you want to do with your machine and what your budget is as well as the repair or maintenance that you might need. I have not needed to have either machine repaired in the 3 or so years I have owned them. Just another quick thought..the Juki is heavy..not meant to be taken to classes. Also, Juki is metal so needs to be oiled often....which is not really a problem. Both good machines though.

Comment

I have the Juki, and really love it. It is dedicated for quilting. I have never owned or used a Janome, so I can't say whether that is a good machine or not.
                          Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

Comment

A big thank you all you wonderful ladies!!! I will probably stop by a shop again today and test a few different ones.

I've been signed up for less than a day and I am already in love with this community!
                            -Kristal

http://bonitocolour.blogspot.com/

Comment

If I were to go buy a new machine today, it would be the Juki 2010i. It only has a straight stitch, a large throat, thread cutter and up to 1500spm and is great for paper piecing and fmqing. They are just under $1000.
                              pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Working...
                              X