Pfaff, janome, or brother

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pfaff, janome, or brother

I am not sure if the brother has the auto presser foot. I will have to check. It looked like a lot of fun in the video.

Does anyone know what is reasonable it terms of accessories for them to throw in? I don't want to pay too much, but I don't want to insult them either.

Comment

I also have the Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.0 this is my second Pfaff I have a mechanical 1540. I would never go with any other brand. I love my Pfaff that much. The IDT is a dream, not to mention all the other features. But as Cat n Bull says Pfaffs IDT is always the deal breaker for me looking at another machine. I believe they are all quality machines but IDT is so easy , no screwdriver its always there works with most of the feet and is NOT big and cumbersome.
      sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
      Time spent with cats is never wasted.
      Sigmund Freud

Comment

I have a Janome and love it. I have a brother manual machine, and it is fine for piecing, but I was burning up the motor trying to FMQ and it was just agrivating, so I started shopping. I test drove a Bernina (way out of my price range), an Elna, a Janome, and a few brothers. The first dealer I tried had great quilting supplies, and sold lots of machines, but their staff knew little about the machines they sold, so asking questions was difficult and they weren't keen on the test driving. So I went to another dealer. They asked ME question, found out what I was looking for, what my price range was, and started showing me machines in each of their lines in my range. And I got to test drive to my hearts content, they showed me the features each could so and ultimately, I walked away with the Janome I have now. All the machines I tried were wonderful, and had lots of features, but the one I brought home had the features I wanted, in my price range, and was easy to learn. My dealer does all its own servicing on site, and they gave about 4 hours of free instruction on how to use my machine. I did buy a higher end machine, but the higher end machines were the ones that had the larger throat space I wanted in order t o do FMQ with a lot more ease. That feature was important to me, but may not be to you, so you need to decide too on what is important to you, test drive the machine, and test drive the dealer. Best wishes.
        My soul is fed with needle and thread, my body with chocolate!

Comment

Oh you are so lucky! I don't know which you are leaning towards, but it seems like you are doing your homework. Be sure to include the dealer in your evaluations. Support, classes, repairs and all that will make your experience better.

I have Pfaff machines and love them. The IDT is the best in my opinion. It's always there for you, and you can use with with other presser feet. Imagine using a stitch in the ditch foot AND IDT while you are quilting a top - you can't do that with a walking foot. My friend has a Brother and used my machine the other day. She was so impressed with the precise straight stitches. I take it for granted now.

Anyways, congratulations on your impending purchase!

Comment

Thanks for all the help! I can tell the IDT fans are fans for life! I definitely need to check into that more. I liked the idt when I test drove the ambition a year ago. I will have to see if the accufeed or the brother equivalent can live up to it. I still have to test drive in the shop, but the Pfaff Expression 4.2 may be the machine to beat.

Comment

I have a high-end Brother that I absolutely love. I cannot imagine another machine being better. In fact, I have watched videos of these other more expensive machines and find myself saying "mine does that". If you want to pay more money for another brand, do so. (The only thing I would say that mine does not have but the Pfaffs have is the built in walking foot. That may be reason enough to buy that machine.)
              Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

Comment

From 1970 until 2011, I only sewed on Pfaffs. Love their IDT. Still own a Pfaff 2144; it's a wonderful machine for piecing because of the IDT. In 2011, I purchased a top of the line Babylock. Love the BL for free motion quilting and machine embroidery. Would never have looked at another brand other than Pfaff had it not been for the dealers in our area of Tn. To me, the dealer is one of the most important factors.
                Judy :icon_wave:
                Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good, to those who are the called according to His purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by madampolo View Post
                  I have a high-end Brother that I absolutely love. I cannot imagine another machine being better. In fact, I have watched videos of these other more expensive machines and find myself saying "mine does that". If you want to pay more money for another brand, do so. (The only thing I would say that mine does not have but the Pfaffs have is the built in walking foot. That may be reason enough to buy that machine.)
                  Glad you like your brother. Which one do you have? Does it have the muvit dual feed on it? If so, what do you think of it.

Comment

If you love to quilt, and will be doing a lot of it, then my vote is for the Pfaff. The built in walking foot (IDT) makes going through multiple layers a dream. PLUS you can still use a 1/4 inch quilting foot or a stitch-in-the-ditch foot at the same time. I had a Brother but even with a walking foot it had trouble going through multiple layers with even stitches. I was experiencing problems at the dealer during a class - they brought out a Pfaff for me to use and I haven't looked at anything other than Pfaff for quilting ever since. LOVE the IDT. The Quilt Expression 4.2 is the one I'm saving up to get. My local dealer has it on sale for $1799 with trade. They offered a floor model for a $100 less this last week at a sewing expo. Free machine usage classes included.

Comment

I dot have any of the mentioned brands, I have a Viking. I also don't have a dealer and that is so very important! I have to drive a long distance to get my machine serviced. I can't say enough about the importance of a good dealer. All the machines you're looking at are probably wonderful but without a dealer they won't be.

Comment

Originally posted by icul8rg8r View Post
                        The Quilt Expression 4.2 is the one I'm saving up to get. My local dealer has it on sale for $1799 with trade. They offered a floor model for a $100 less this last week at a sewing expo. Free machine usage classes included.
                        Since March is National Quilting Month, Pfaff is running some promotions. If you buy a QE 4.2, Pfaff will give you an extension table! I do not think machines bought at an expo would qualify, but never hurts to ask!
                        Cathryn

Comment

Originally posted by icul8rg8r View Post
                          I was experiencing problems at the dealer during a class - they brought out a Pfaff for me to use and I haven't looked at anything other than Pfaff for quilting ever since. LOVE the IDT.
                          My dealer sells 3 brands, and he says he LOVES Pfaffs because they sell themselves

All he has to do is sit customers down in front of the various machines. He sells far more Pfaffs than the other 2 combined.
                          Cathryn

Comment

I have sewn with Pfaff machines for 60 years so I am quite biased. I have the new Performance 5....what a dream of a sewing machine. The Idt system is worth all the money spent. Ask for the extension table..maybe they would give a discounted price if they don't give it to you.

If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?

Comment

Originally posted by Indiana quilter View Post
                              I have sewn with Pfaff machines for 60 years so I am quite biased. I have the new Performance 5....what a dream of a sewing machine. The Idt system is worth all the money spent. Ask for the extension table..maybe they would give a discounted price if they don't give it to you.
                              Gotta love that IDT! I just bought a 1950's Pfaff 13o, can not wait to get it!

And the table promotion comes directly from Pfaff, not from the dealer, so the dealer probably isn't going to give you a discount instead. That table is very nice!
                              Cathryn

Comment

I want a Pfaff, but a lot of the reviews on sewing pattern review aren't positive. It is nice to read some other things here.

Comment

Working...
                                X