Pfaff, janome, or brother

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pfaff, janome, or brother

So, I am super excited, because it am getting a new sewing machine! I have a cheap singer that I hate. I want to be able to quilt, make little girl and American girl doll clothing, and home decor items. So far I have narrowed it down to the pfaff expression 4.2 and the Janome Horizon 7700. I may be able to get a dream creator / dreamweaver in a similar price range.

So for my questions

Do you have any of these machines, and how do you like them?

If you could get the brother at the same price as the janome and pfaff would you trust a high end brother and buy it? I am really nervous with all the problems I have with my singer about buying a junky machine because it seems to have a lot going for it.

Is there another machine in that price range I should consider?

What price would you ask for the Janome or Pfaff, and what accessories would you try to get thrown in?

If you could choose, which would you buy?

Obviously I will test drive before buying, but just wanted to get some opinions.

Re: Pfaff, janome, or brother

Originally posted by ctab View Post

If you could get the brother at the same price as the janome and pfaff would you trust a high end brother and buy it? I am really nervous with all the problems I have with my singer about buying a junky machine because it seems to have a lot going for it.

Obviously I will test drive before buying, but just wanted to get some opinions.
    I use the Brother PC 420 and routinely piece and quilt twin size quilts. Check out the glowing reviews at numerous sites. It is $350 brand new with warranty at amazon.com

Amazon.com: Brother Project Runway PC420PRW 294-Stitch Professional Grade Computerized Sewing Machine with 3 Built-In Lettering Styles, and Carrying Case: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

You don't have to spend thousands of dollars to get a good machine.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

I have a Pfaff 4.0 and love it....the integrated duel feed (aka walking foot) that is built in is wonderful. All of the features that are automatic on this machine spoil you from any other machine. I'm not saying that the others arn't great but i just have this one.
      :icon_wave::icon_woohoo:Kellie:icon_hi:

Comment

Originally posted by DeniseSm View Post

You don't have to spend thousands of dollars to get a good machine.
        Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that everything below my budget is junk. I just want to be careful not to buy another machine that makes me want to throw it out the window with problems. I just wanted to see is people thought the brother was truly a twin of the crescendo, or if it was lesser quality.

I picked higher cost machines, because I want the of the auto features, larger throat space, etc.

Thanks for the machine suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by kelliedi View Post
          I have a Pfaff 4.0 and love it....the integrated duel feed (aka walking foot) that is built in is wonderful. All of the features that are automatic on this machine spoil you from any other machine. I'm not saying that the others arn't great but i just have this one.
          I got to sew with the idt on the ambition, and it was awesome! Did you ask for any extras to be thrown in when you bought it?

Comment

I'm partial to Janome......but in all fairness have never used the other brands. My Mom had a Featherweight when I was a kid, but don't think they make Singers like that anymore. Wished it were still around!! Good luck with your decision.

Comment

I'm partial to Janome too. I've tried other brands and always go back to Janomes. That being said theres many on this forum that love their brands of machines and may not like Janome.

Well now...that really helped didn't it...
              TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Comment

So, I am super excited, because it am getting a new sewing machine! I have a cheap singer that I hate. I want to be able to quilt, make little girl and American girl doll clothing, and home decor items. So far I have narrowed it down to the pfaff expression 4.2 and the Janome Horizon 7700. I may be able to get a dream creator / dreamweaver in a similar price range.

So for my questions

Do you have any of these machines, and how do you like them?

What price would you ask for the Janome or Pfaff, and what accessories would you try to get thrown in?

I had a Pfaff Quilt Expression 4, and it was awesome! I have not sewn on the new 4.2.

YES! I would trust a high end Brother, bought from a DEALER. They make wonderful machines. Which model are you considering?

All 3 of these machines are excellent, the deciding factor for me is ALWAYS, no exceptions, the dealer.

Which dealer do you like best? Which one has the best class policies? Which has the best customer service? Technicians on staff or do they send the machines out?

Check out features on the machines. Pfaffs are VERY feature rich machines, they have some great ones on their less expensive machines that many other brands only have on their uber expensive models. My dealer sells Pfaff and Janome, so I get lots of wonderful choices! I always go with Pfaff because they have more features for your money.

I can't really say much about the Brothers because I don't know which one you are looking at. But definitely test them too! They are awesome machines!
                Cathryn

Comment

I worked my way up to a Janome 7700 and I LOVE this machine! It does everything I want or need and then some. One of my very favorite things is the super responsive foot pedal. I have to say, I didn't give much thought to foot pedals when I bought this (or any other) machine over the years, but once I used the foot pedal that comes with this machine, I knew that it would make all the difference in my FMQ'ing. And it has. Because it is so very sensitive and incredibly responsive, I have MUCH better control when I need to change speeds as I FMQ. My curves and circles especially have improved since I have such great speed control.

Anyway, that is just one thing I love about my 7700. I also love the way it purrs along, so solid and barely moving, even when I am going full tilt. I really like the lights over my sewing area - the perfect amount of brightness without being overwhelming. I love the accufeed system! It is wonderful for keeping my fabric lined up and fed evenly through the machine.

The 7700 has tons (and I do mean TONS) of features, yet it is pretty easy to learn and is very user friendly. Oh, and that 11 inches of work space is fantastic when I am quilting a larger quilt! But one of my all time favorite features is the automatic plate converter that with a push of a button goes from single hole to one that allows you to adjust needle position or do zig-zag or fancy stitches. The feet are easy to change out too.

Oh, I could go on and on I just love this machine so much! It is my dream machine. I hope that whichever you do end up choosing, you love it as much I do my 7700!
                  Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

I just bought a Brother Dream Creator XE. It is "user friendly" and so far I love it. It took weeks for me to make up my mind which machine to buy. Each had its appeal but I realized that all were really wonderful machines. I based my final decision on my satisfaction with the dealership. Service is critical no matter which machine you decide to make your own. In time every machine will require maintenance. I strongly suggest you take a minute to consider this point. Good luck and happy sewing.

Comment

For the Janome lovers, would you buy a Janome Horizon 7700 over a Brother dream creator?
                      How often do you use the accufeed? Do you find it a pain to put on and off. Would you say it is equal to the idt on the pfaff?

In terms of dealer, I would be getting the machine I buy from a sew vac warehouse that sell all three brands.

Comment

I love my Janomes..... Never any problems.... Two Jems and a DC2007LE..... All were under $500... Probably under $400.

I have been looking at the Brother 420... Great reviews...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Originally posted by Cat n bull View Post
                          Check out features on the machines. Pfaffs are VERY feature rich machines, they have some great ones on their less expensive machines that many other brands only have on their uber expensive models. My dealer sells Pfaff and Janome, so I get lots of wonderful choices! I always go with Pfaff because they have more features for your money.

I can't really say much about the Brothers because I don't know which one you are looking at. But definitely test them too! They are awesome machines!
                          I watched an hour and a half you tube video on the pfaff expression, and it did look pretty amazing! To bad the machines just don't have a sign on them that says this is your perfect machine

Comment

Would you say it is equal to the idt on the pfaff?

In terms of dealer, I would be getting the machine I buy from a sew vac warehouse that sell all three brands.
                            It is definitely not at all equal to the IDT on the Pfaff. IDT is ALWAYS on the machine, always ready to be used, no screwdriver EVER needed to use it, no need to add on parts to use it. It just slides up or down to disengage/engage and can be used with most of the presser feet. It is very slender, very versatile. I have tested both, and that was one of the deal breakers for me.

Really cool that you can go to one place to try all the machines! Have fun test sewing! Make sure you take fabrics you like to sew with.

Also, might be worth it to check out a few dealers, just to be sure.

Truthfully, any of the 3 machines you are interested in are really wonderful machines, just depends on which one you bond with and which dealer makes you the most comfortable. Everyone has their own sewing style and sewing habits. Good thing we HAVE so many cool machines to choose from!
                            Cathryn

Comment

I watched an hour and a half you tube video on the pfaff expression, and it did look pretty amazing! To bad the machines just don't have a sign on them that says this is your perfect machine
                              "Perfect" is in the hands of the user.

Try a few machines. Best way to tell which one "fits" the way you sew.

Auto presser foot lift is SWEET! Seriously sweet. Does the Brother have it?
                              Cathryn

Comment

Working...
                              X