Interesting needle information for your machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting needle information for your machine

My guild showed us one of Superior Threads Seminars and it was wonderful. If you ever get a chance to see one, you should watch it. Interesting, informative and entertaining all in one. I learned quite a lot and want to share what I learned about needles. They recommend one kind of needle - the Topstitch needle. Here's what they have to say about it:

Why Topstitch? The Topstitch needle is the most common needle type used and recommended by professionals and educators. We recommend the Topstitch for piecing, quilting, embroidery, appliqué, and construction. These needles are available in four sizes to accommodate all thread types, including metallic threads. The Topstitch needle has a larger eye and deeper groove. It is often referred as the MAGIC NEEDLE. It really does make a difference in your sewing experience.

Thought I'd just pass this info along.

Cyndi

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” - Victor Hugo

Re: Interesting needle information for your machine

Thanks for that info. I think I will give them a try.

Comment

I had learned that one awhile ago....it helps to prevent thread shredding as well due to a slightly larger eye in the needle...I only use these...they are slightly higher in price but less than a dollar more than a regular needle.

Comment

It sure gets confusing. I bought metallic thread at Superior Threads and bought a metallic needle. I read that the hole is bigger and the thread won't shred up.

Their glitter line is so fun and shiny!
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

Originally posted by lilmouse View Post
          I had learned that one awhile ago....it helps to prevent thread shredding as well due to a slightly larger eye in the needle...I only use these...they are slightly higher in price but less than a dollar more than a regular needle.
          I didn't see you there.

Is this the way of marketing needles, making the same needle and putting different names on them? lol
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
            I didn't see you there.
            Is this the way of marketing needles, making the same needle and putting different names on them? lol
            I use topstitch needles most of the time, but I still use the Metallic needle for invisible or metallic threads. They seem to have a deeper groove that prevents the metallic threads from fraying. At least, that's what works for me!

Comment

Originally posted by cyndiofthevortex View Post
              My guild showed us one of Superior Threads Seminars and it was wonderful. If you ever get a chance to see one, you should watch it. Interesting, informative and entertaining all in one. I learned quite a lot and want to share what I learned about needles. They recommend one kind of needle - the Topstitch needle. Here's what they have to say about it:

Why Topstitch? The Topstitch needle is the most common needle type used and recommended by professionals and educators. We recommend the Topstitch for piecing, quilting, embroidery, appliqué, and construction. These needles are available in four sizes to accommodate all thread types, including metallic threads. The Topstitch needle has a larger eye and deeper groove. It is often referred as the MAGIC NEEDLE. It really does make a difference in your sewing experience.

Thought I'd just pass this info along.

Did they recommend a certain brand and will it work with all machines? My Janome dealer told me to only use Janome needles but then that could be just to sell more.
              TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Comment

From what Bob At ST says, all needles have different sizes. There are different sizes of Topstitch needles just like for most needles. Here is what they break it down to:

For Size #70/10 - #100, 60 wt., & MonoPoly
                For Size #80/12 - #50 (50 wt.) threads.
                For Size #90/14 - #40 (40 wt.) threads.
                For Size #100/16 - #30 (30 wt.) threads and thicker.

My monopoly was always breaking, so I've ordered a variety pack and will try out the #70/10 and see if that works. Any needle sold should fit any sewing machine, so you shouldn't need to buy a Janome needle.

Since he's a thread expert I'm going to try his advice for needles. I never knew anything about them before seeing this video and thought you all might like to hear about it, too. Here's the link to his page on needles:
                https://www.superiorthreads.com/product/needles/home-machine-needles/
                Cyndi

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” - Victor Hugo

Comment

I don't think I have ever seen a 100/16 needle before. I wanted to embroider a Sashiko design and it calls for 30 wt thread. I wonder if I should use that in my bobbin? I guess I have some research to do.

Thread and needle #'s always confused me. Just like wire. The thinner the wire the higher the #. You think it would be the other way around.
                  🌺 Lorie

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post

Thread and needle #'s always confused me.
                    Me, too! I'm trying to learn a bit about them lately. Seems like a good thing for a quilter to know. There's always more to know about this craft. I love it!
                    Cyndi

Comment

Working...
                    X