Brother PC 420 user input please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brother PC 420 user input please

Quick question... does the 420 have a locking stitch? Right now when I SITD I have to put my stitch width to darning-1 and change it to 3 when I start to sew. I have to do this at the beginning and end of the top stitched rows. Using reverse is no good at a #3 setting because it shows. I looked through the 95 questions asked on Amazon but no one asked this.
    Hugs,
    Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
    Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

Re: Brother PC 420 user input please

Not that I'm aware of. Think that is something on the higher end machines.

Comment

Depending on the stitch selected you can automatically have it do a reverse or reinforcement stitch at the beginning and end. The reverse is visible, but the reinforcement stitch is 3-5 stitches on right top of each other so I'm not sure if that is the same as a locking stitch?

You can't choose which you want, reverse or reinforcement, as it's programmed based on the selected stitch. Looking through my manual there is a straight stitch that does use a reinforcement stitch...as well as several other more decorative stitches.

Hope that helps!
      Lori

Comment

Originally posted by laf512 View Post
        Depending on the stitch selected you can automatically have it do a reverse or reinforcement stitch at the beginning and end. The reverse is visible, but the reinforcement stitch is 3-5 stitches on right top of each other so I'm not sure if that is the same as a locking stitch?

You can't choose which you want, reverse or reinforcement, as it's programmed based on the selected stitch. Looking through my manual there is a straight stitch that does use a reinforcement stitch...as well as several other more decorative stitches.

Hope that helps!
        All I need is a straight stitch with a few stitches on top of each other. If I hit reverse on mine, I can never get them completely on top of each other. always goes off a little to the side. can't sew backwards straight.
        Hugs,
        Joanne

Comment

Originally posted by soul60s View Post
          All I need is a straight stitch with a few stitches on top of each other. If I hit reverse on mine, I can never get them completely on top of each other. always goes off a little to the side. can't sew backwards straight.

It should work for you then. I just set it up to automatically do it at the beginning and end of each row. They seem to be invisible to me!
          Lori

Comment

Thank you Lori! That is exactly what I want. I am getting it in 3 weeks. Birthday present to myself.
            Hugs,
            Joanne

Comment

Originally posted by soul60s View Post
              Thank you Lori! That is exactly what I want. I am getting it in 3 weeks. Birthday present to myself.
              I hope you love it, too!
              Lori

Comment

I'm going to have to dig my manual out to see how to do this!

Comment

I've had this machine for more than 3 years and love it! It's easy to use and the manual instructions are well written. I've had zero problems with it. i'm starting to think about a machine with a larger throat space for quilting but I'm pretty attached to my girl. As the previous poster said it does have auto locking stitch in certain settings. Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by KimH View Post
                    I've had this machine for more than 3 years and love it! It's easy to use and the manual instructions are well written. I've had zero problems with it. i'm starting to think about a machine with a larger throat space for quilting but I'm pretty attached to my girl. As the previous poster said it does have auto locking stitch in certain settings. Enjoy!

Thank you Kim. I hope that locking stitch is in straight stitching.
                    Hugs,
                    Joanne

Comment

Brother PC 420 PRW Sewing Machine Review & other sewing reviews for sewing machines and embroidery machines

I hope that link works, it is an EXCELLENT review on the Brother PC 420.
                      Cathryn

Comment

Originally posted by Cat n bull View Post
                        Brother PC 420 PRW Sewing Machine Review & other sewing reviews for sewing machines and embroidery machines

I hope that link works, it is an EXCELLENT review on the Brother PC 420.
                        Cathryn, thank you so much for that link. The guy who wrote it obviously thought it all out and the part I love is that he had the machine 4 years! Not the 2 weeks like some reviews. Most people love their machines in the beginning (honeymoon period) but to love it after 4 years says a lot! I have 2 weeks to make up my mind. This one is really in the lead. I was also considering the SB4138 but really, the 420 does almost the same thing (no sideways stitching, no big deal). Otherwise the features are almost the same and the throat space is the same. Why pay hundreds more??? So I am about 99% sure. I can't wait to get it. Hubby is insisting that I wait until my birthday. I can have it in 2 days with free Amazon Prime shipping. It will be here just in time to start the Triangle Quilt-A-Long. That friday that it is delivered is going to be one LONG day at work. Then I get a 40 minute drive home. Ugh.
                        Hugs,
                        Joanne

Comment

This is indeed a great little machine. I bought my first one in 2010 and the second one in 2012. I use them both...one is set up specifically for sewing and piecework, the other for Free Motion Quilting. You cannot beat the current pricing of $350. I have not yet had either one professionally serviced. I keep the dust and lint cleaned out and regularly change needles and it doesn't need oiling. This would be the perfect machine if it had a larger throat for quilting and could wind bobbins without having to stop sewing and un-thread the needle. With all the other higher end features it has though, it is a wonderfully capable machine that is easy on the budget! I think you will be very happy with it!
                          Linda
                          -its not the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!

sigpic

Comment

So I decided. The winner is....pc420. It really is the best bang for the buck. Right now I can get everything I want plus more for under $350. Can't say that about any other machine. I'll order it on the 18th and have it by the 20th. Can't open it until the 21st. Promised DH.
                            Hugs,
                            Joanne

Comment

Working...
                            X