Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So confused about which sewing machine to get...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So confused about which sewing machine to get...

Hello, everyone. I am a relatively new quilter (thanks to Jenny!) and I have determined that my cheap mechanical machine from Wal-Mart won't stand the rigor I am putting it through for much longer. I would like to get a good, reliable electronic machine but I don't want to break the bank.

I am fascinated by the idea of embroidery so I am considering a combination machine. Simplicity by Brother has a machine, the SB7500 that does both. My local shop says it costs $799. That does not seem too bad for a combination machine but I can't find any reviews on it because it is too new. I don't know if that would be a good machine to get or not.

I don't want to just buy a machine that simply sews for $499 and then realize I should have gotten a combination machine. I am considering the Simplicity by Brother SB3129, which my lady says has been flying off the shelves. I am also considering the Janome DC2014, which I know has an excellent reputation but only 50 built-in stitches.

Do you have any advice for me? Thanks in advance!

Re: So confused about which sewing machine to get...

Get the one with the largest hoop size. I'm new to embroidery machines, but that's what everyone told me.

Comment

I think your purchase will depend on what you want to do most - sewing/quilting, or embroidery. I don't do embroidery. Last Sept. I purchased a H. Viking Opal 670. I'm very pleased with it. The price was $799, but I got a trade-in on my older model Viking. There is a 45 min. video on YouTube about all the features of this machine. Just remember any time you use a machine with a computer, keep it plugged into a surge protector. Make sure you buy from a qualified dealer who will warranty it & can clean/service it for you. Good luck with your search. JCY

Comment

If you're getting a sewing/embroidery combination machine then get the one with the largest hoop size that you can comfortably afford. A lot of people go with a small hoop size to start with and end up wishing they'd spent a little (or a lot) more and got a machine that they can embroider larger designs on. I love making pillow covers so I ended up with a Janome 12000 that can embroidery designs up to 9.1x11.8 inches. There are many great brands of machines to choose from, many of them are much more reasonably priced then mine.

Also you need to consider the expense of Embroidery Threads and Stabilizers. I buy my Robinson/Anton Poly Embroidery Thread from allthreads.com where I always get free shipping, and my Stabilizer I normally get from Joann's Fabrics using 1/2 price coupons.

I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever machine you purchase and if you're anything like me...you'll love doing machine Embroidery.
        TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Comment

Do you need all the decorative stitches? Mine has a ton and I am pretty sure I have not used over ten of them in the two and a half years I've had the machine. It is also an embroidery machine, which I thought would be fun to learn, and I have never ever even hooked that part up!!
          pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Remember this. When you have a machibe that does both embroidery and regular sewing, your machine is tied up for use of regular sewing while it is embroidering, and many embroidery designs take hours to sew out. I've decided against getting a combination machine for this very reason. I want the very best I can find ( within my budget, of course) to do a specific job, and right now that is straight sewing, either quilt piecing or costume construction.

Comment

Sometimes you get what you pay for and of course they will tell you a machine is "flying off the shelves" if it means a sale for them. I suggest you not only listen to the experienced women on this forum but that you read all the reviews on all the machines you are interested in - on Amazon. It is a great research engine and helps me avoid all sorts of pitfalls. Not that I would ever buy a machine from Amazon- I buy only from my local dealer who gives free lifetime lessons and is always available to answer questions. Have fun shopping and good luck with your new purchase. How exciting.

Comment

Jean has an excellent point.. I suggest Janome as a first choice ,,from the positives I can offer and the comments of many other sewists.. Brother would be second... My first comment is to buy from a dealer.. a nice one that your comfortable with and feel you can trust.. if you are someone that likes to "learn as you go".. consider AllBrands.com even if it's for information... and ps.. I love AllStitch for stabilizer and I think thread... B
                "Each day well-lived and Happy;
                that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
                  Remember this. When you have a machibe that does both embroidery and regular sewing, your machine is tied up for use of regular sewing while it is embroidering, and many embroidery designs take hours to sew out. I've decided against getting a combination machine for this very reason. I want the very best I can find ( within my budget, of course) to do a specific job, and right now that is straight sewing, either quilt piecing or costume construction.
                  I agree, some embroidery designs can take a long time to stitch out, (I've done designs that's took close to 2 hours) and if this is the only machine you have you won't be able to sew till the design is finished. This has never been a problem for me, but its something you may want to consider.

Comment

These are all great points, ladies. Thank you for your advice. I didn't realize embroidery could take such a long time to do!

I hesitate to buy from the one dealer I saw yesterday because she looked up the price of the SB3129 and told me $599. I did a bit of research later and found it on the internet for $449 and $499. I know the store needs to make money off its customers but I don't want to feel taken advantage of. It frustrates me that the prices aren't even posted in the store and the lady has to look them up without showing me what they are. I feel like she could have quoted me a lower price but she chose to quote the higher one.

I have been doing copious amounts of internet research (which is impossible for new models, by the way), and I am leaning towards buying a low end embroidery machine like the Brother PE 500 and then a separate good sewing machine like the Janome DC2014 or the SB3129. I haven't spent a dime yet, however, and I am still open to suggestions.

Thank you again!

Comment

you might want to consider the brother PE 770. it is embroidery only, has a 5x7 hoop size, and is around $500. Not sure if you can buy in store though. All the LQS had was PE 780D which is the same machine but has a bunch of Disney designs programmed in it and costs about $100 more. It is inexpensive for an embroidery machine and does a really nice job. Then you would have to buy a regular sewing machine too, and that might take you over your limit for cost. Just something to consider.
                      Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

These are all great points, ladies. Thank you for your advice. I didn't realize embroidery could take such a long time to do!

This really depends on the size (total stitches) of the design. The last design I did had 40,500 stitches and took around 2 hours. I also do smaller designs that may only take 15 minutes.

Comment

I'd also like to recommend two machines. I love the quality of the Brother embroidery only machines. I own a Babylock sewing machine and I love it. But I agree about not having needed all the stitches. I have never used most of them. Good luck and let us know what you get.
                          sigpicAnita G.

Comment

I would love the PE 770 but that coupled with the price of a good sewing machine will take me way over budget. Maybe if I win the $400 million Powerball jackpot...

Comment

I have a brother 1500, a brother 1034d serger and a singer curvy. I want an embroidery machine but still thinking about it. For quilting I think my brother 1500 was a great investment. It only does straight stitch but it has a nice big throat space. I can do a big quilt start to finish on this machine. I only use my singer if I need to do zig zag or blanket stitch. I understand all the comments about dealers and if I was going to buy a really expensive machine I would probably want to go this route. Before I bought my brother 1500 I drove 45 minutes to a dealer and said I was interested in something around $1000. She said we had a juki yesterday but sold it. I asked about the brother(they were supposed to be a brother dealer) but she told me the juki was the only option. She then tried to show me a machine that was more than $2000! I said thanks but no thanks. Total waste of time. I went home and ordered online and have not been sorry. My rationale was buy something on the lower end until you know if you are really going to need or use all the extras.
                              Vernona:icon_hi:

Comment

Working...
                              X