Husqvarna / Viking Husky Lock 936 Serger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Husqvarna / Viking Husky Lock 936 Serger

Believe it or not, I have had a Husqvarna Husky Lock 936 Serger for almost 7 yrs and have never used it.
    Do any of you own one of these and might be able to help me learn more about it ?
    I suppose taking some classes for it would be in order, but wonder if there's any YouTube Tutorials out there that might help ?

Any info you might suggest would be helpful....I feel really stupid for having a expensive serger like this such as this and not using it.

Thanks
    Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Re: Husqvarna / Viking Husky Lock 936 Serger

Seems you may not be the only one who has a serger that has ever been used! I don't have that kind of serger but I do use them. I am a costumer, they are really useful for garment sewing, but ave limited use for quilting. Hoe you can find a use for your machine and get to using it.

Comment

I had that serger for a year also never used it. I couldn't thread the darn thing! Soooo I traded it in for a Baby Lock Ovation with easy air threading and no tension knobs. The Baby Lock Ovation eight-thread serger has the largest workspace in the home serger. I love, love, love it! It is so easy to thread, and it comes with all the special feet to do amazing things. I can sew for hours on it!
      Have a Sewonderful Day,
      Mary T.

Comment

Do a Google search for "Husqvarna Husky Lock 936 Serger Tutorials" and you'll find all kinds of utube videos specific to your machine or for sergers in general. I also know Craftsy has a serger class you can sign up for - wait for it to go on sale.

Comment

Mary,

Do you use your Babylock for quilting related items or only clothing? I have heard wonderful things about the Babylock, but would not have a use for it other than quilting type stuff. I do not even want to think about getting one only to be one of the ones buying it and never using it.

I haven't really talked seriously about one to my local dealer to see how many ways it can be used. I know this forum offers great information so any thoughts and info would be appreciated!

Comment

I don't know why but it seems theres many people( including myself) that are intimidated by Sergers! I don't have one, but would love to own one, but if I did I probably wouldn't use it because, in my case...I don't know if I could figure out how to rethread it if the thread broke or ran out. I used them at work...but only because if something happened to them we had a mechanic to fix the problem for us...including rethreading it. Hate to admit it...but for the last 10 years I've wanted one and was to fearfull of the rethreading process...
            TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Comment

Babylock sergers are the way to go if you are intimidated by threading. I'm not sure if their lower end sergers have air threading or not. I've had three BabyLock sergers all with air threading. I still have my 22 year BabyLock Eclipse, the air threaders still work fine. I also have an 8 thread Evolve, I love them both. Sometimes I set up the Eclipse for three thread narrow rolled hemming, it is amazing for hemming napkins or tablecloths. I've used that feature for edging ruffles, hemming sheer curtains. Someone said they were told by a Viking salesperson that the Babylock air threaders wore out. NO, NOT TRUE, TELL THEM YOU KNOW A LADY WHO SERGES A LOT who has a 22 year old serger that the air threaders work just fine.

Comment

I just got a used serger for Christmas and am getting to know it. I've never used one before and didn't really even know what it was! I took the Craftsy class and absolutely would be lost without it! Don't be afraid of the threading - once you do it a few times it will be second nature. It helps a lot to have colour coded guides. I've already done some testing for a sample book, fixed my daughter's sweatshirt and my hubby's running shorts! I am getting the hang of it and really think I will use it a lot. It's a LOT of fun, but can be frustrating too (especially since mine is ancient!). Without Amy Alan I would be totally lost!!!! I bought a bunch of books too but her guidance has been invaluable. You can read my review here: Over the Kitchen Counter: Angie's Place for Cooking and Crafts: Beginner Serging & Serger Thread
                and put 'serger' in the search bar at the top of my page to see all my other posts about my serger - some great tips too. Have fun and don't give up. Be brave and dig in otherwise it will be another seven years before you use it!!!!

Comment

I have a Huskylock 905 for over 10 yrs. It has a thread guide which makes it easy to thread. It's easier to thread than the 936 and you should read some reviews on the 936. My machine threads only one way for any stitch, however, I understand that the 936 has different threading for different stitches, which I would find frustrating and time consuming and I've had sergers for many years. My machine is mechanical and yours is computerized. I love my machine and use it often for clothing and home decor. I have no use for it as far as quilting goes.

If you're going to learn to use that machine, you should sign up for a lesson. In person, with someone to guide you on the threading, is much better than trying to see the small parts and color coding on a video. The Babylock with the air threader is such a nice machine and if I were to buy another machine or replace this one, I'd buy a Babylock.

Comment

I have this same serger and have used it 2 or 3 times in the 8 years that I own it. I purchased primarily for finishing fabrics with a wool thread. When you manually thread a serger you can use heavier decorative threads than you can with the Babylock models.

I love my Babylock serger I now have the one with the auto tension, have forgotten the name and have previously owned the Evolve and the model with dials and air threading. I sold them to buy the Husklock 936.

In my experience the 936 has better stitch definition than the Babylock models and you can fine tune the tensions better, but for ease of serging it is hands down for the air threading. My Babylock is the one to go to when I do simple projects.

Comment

The narrow rolled hemming is fantastic on the Babylock, (easier than on the 936--no feet to changes, just change a dial) Also it makes ruffles with ease just by adjusting the transport feed. Not they we ruffle things these days but it is excellent for ruffling light quilt cotton fabric. I have made ruffles for pillows, baby quilt edgings and ruffled a bed skirt with the Babylock serger.

Maybe gathering is a better word? The Babylock has an excellent stitch for finishing napkins, table cloths, etc. Sometimes when I finish a quilt especially a large one with small blocks, I do a 3 stitch overlock around the edge to keep it tidy and prevent fraying. It also helps to keep the quilt square.

Comment

Janice I never sew anything that will not go into a quilt! The serger is sew fast for quilt piecing. Next I will try out cover stitch for quilting. You can have just one machine a serger and make anything with it. The threading is what always stopped me. I am blind as a bat!!! The Baby Lock Easy air threading is my "can you come over and thread my machine again?..." a call I would make to my daughter allot. I have a Viking Designer Diamond that I embroider on ready made clothes. That is as close to making something to wear as I get. The Ovation was pricey, but it comes with everything you would ever want for it. A great Binder and a foot bag filled and labeled. Also came with a rolling travel bag.
                        Have a Sewonderful Day,
                        Mary T.

Comment

Working...
                        X