Sew frustrated with Layer Cake!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sew frustrated with Layer Cake!

Evidently, some layer cakes aren't 10" sq. Some aren't even 9 1/2" square! I like to buy layer cakes and cut them when I need 3-4 charm packs. Well, that's a great idea IF the layer cake is actually 10". This pack I'm working with is so uneven. One piece measured only 9.5 x 9.25! Ridiculous. Not one single piece is 10". So much for my project. I got so disgusted I chopped them into flying geese pieces. Not what I had intended, but, you know, they are turning out pretty cute. I am loving the Quilt in a Day Geese ruler. I should say, I did not buy the LC from M*QC.

spinning geese.jpg

Re: Sew frustrated with Layer Cake!

The layer cakes I have bought seem to be 10" but not necessarily square. Sometimes they are twisted a bit, and that makes it hard if you are trying to make something like Jenny's HSTs. I understand your pain on making charms out of these you have. Regardless, your blocks are beauties! I love them!!
    Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

Comment

Good Idea. I have the same problem. I was going to cut them into 4, 5" squares to make HST's and since they aren't all 10x10.. I can't do that! But a FG would be great. I love making FG's and these are a small dot so that print would work. Thanks for mentioning.. I wouldn't have thought to use them for FG's
      Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Comment

I've never had an issue with any Layer cake I bought from M*. No issues that I know of with Charm packs either. Or Jelly Rolls.

Comment

The seller of the precuts have nothing to do with whether it is cut straight or wonky. It is a manufacturer problem. More times than not, if you contact the manufacturer, they will replace the precut.

Not all wounds are so obvious. Walk gently in the lives of others - Unknown Author

No one has ever become poor by giving - Anne Frank

http://www.etsy.com/shop/thequiltedpig

Comment

The seller of the precuts sells it, so they do have something to do with it. If they know about it and don't discontinue selling it, then they are at fault, too. When you are needing the fabric, you don't always have the time to get a replacement that, chances are, also is just as bad as the one you first bought.
            Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"

Comment

I'm so sorry that you had a bad experience with a layer cake....on the other hand, look at those beautiful blocks you made! Gorgeous!

Comment

Beautiful blocks!!!
                Shirley aka buckeyequilter
                I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

I would be returning them to the shop. If the package says that they are 10" square and they are not then they must be replaced. The problem then is the time to go back to the shop, and the time to get a replacement. I would try calling the shop first to see if they have any more that they can check the size for you first, then contact the manufacturer. I find that the manufacturer will most likely send you something to say sorry as well as replace the faulty pack.

Comment

Love your blocks! I really like the EB flying geese ruler too! Nice save!
                    ~Kathy~

Comment

Working...
                    X