Does invisible thread really hold up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does invisible thread really hold up?

I just showed my new table runner in the Norwegian Sewing Forum I belong to,
    and one of the girls said that I should remember to tell my sis in law
    that the invisible thread I had used COULD fall apart
    so that she could have it mended, just tell me when it happened....

Is it really so? The table runner will be placed
    ( I'm pretty sure of this as she was so delighted by the xmas one )
    in a room with little direct sun and none on the table.

I do wish one or more of you could put my mind at ease as I now feel pretty sad here..

Hugs from Eva Mari
    Fabric purchases require no justification!
    A stash must be carefully and constantly built. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Re: Does invisible thread really hold up?

Well I hope it doesn't fall apart cause I used some in the top and bottom of a quilt I made for a friend. I was also told by a lady at Joann's that that's all she uses in her quilts - she loves it so much. I, didn't love it so much, so only used it for a section of the quilt. So, no I don't think it will disappear anytime soon.

Hugs,
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
    http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
    http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

Thank you so much, quilting trish! Hugs! I find it very strange as the thread seems to be excactly like the fishing lines my dad used...
      A stash must be carefully and constantly built. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Comment

Invisable thread stands the test of time well, unless you try to iron it. All bets are off if you subject it to the heat of an iron. Dryer temperatures are okay. I have a quilt I made for one of my kids over 20 years ago in which I quilted with invisable thread and his son playes on that same quilt today.
        Ann

Comment

Oh thank you too, Ann! Hugs! I knew about the ironing issue and will inform her about that when she receives the pressie tomorrow!

Comment

I used invisible thread on the quilt I made for DD to take to college 10 years ago. It has gone thru 4 yrs of college, 4 moves and constant use. it i was looking at it at her house the other day and it has held up just fine.
            “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

My only experience with it has been in commercially produced items. We have had several comforters that were made with it and I think they used an inferior bobbin thread or something. The invisible tread lasted but pulled out, getting tangled around stuff. I thought that was a bit dangerous and cut it loose from the blanket and relegated it to the barn or the dogs. I have some, but have been afraid to use it. I am glad to hear that others have used it and like it. Perhaps I'll give it a try one of these days.
              Be who you are and say what you feel
              because those who mind don't matter,
              and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Thank you so much for your comments bakermom and toggpine!
                This particular handstich-look calls for either invisible or thin thread matching the fabric - for the needle and a heavier thread in the bobbin. For solids I would go for thinner thread but because of the fabrics used I opted for the invisble and used that extra spool pin as the normal holder has caused some problems due to the stiff and "roundabout" LOL nature of the nylon thread.

Hugs from Eva Mari

Comment

Thank you Emmari for starting this discussion. I have a quilt ready for quilting and have been stalling because I planned to use the invisible thread. Now maybe I'll just go for it.

Comment

So happy that my wondering helped you out too, Leigh! Hugs!

Comment

I quilted my son's 2nd quilt with invisible thread. Suffice it to say, that poor quilt has been through hell and back. You know that commercial where it shows the kid dragging his quilt everywhere and the last shot is of it hanging out of the back of the car? That's this quilt. It has taken tons of abuse and washings and it is holding up just fine (except a couple of holes the dog's teeth made).
                      🍄 Heather🍄

Comment

Working...
                      X