Rotary Blade Sharpener??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotary Blade Sharpener??

Does anyone have one of these--do they work? Saw one at Hancock's, but it was $12.99 half off. If it works, I would gladly buy it. Speaking of blades, just how long to they last? I feel like mine go dull very quickly.
    Lisa

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands...." 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Re: Rotary Blade Sharpener??

Originally posted by lhayes1976 View Post
    Does anyone have one of these--do they work? Saw one at Hancock's, but it was $12.99 half off. If it works, I would gladly buy it. Speaking of blades, just how long to they last? I feel like mine go dull very quickly.
    I have very mixed feelings about blades and sharpeners. I have several cutters - Dritz, Olfa, Fons-Porter, a couple others. I bought a sharpener from JoAnns on-line that is for the 45 mm blades but at the time my cutters were only 60 mm. So I bought a 45 mm and didn't like the way it worked. DH found an electric sharpener at the Grace Co. site and I ordered it http://truecut.graceframe.com/cart/
    It is definitely better than the one from JoAnns, but not perfect. It will, however, sharpen any size blade.
    Somewhere I found that Harbour Freight sells a 28 mm blade and 'carpet cutter' . . . so I ordered both. The carpet cutter was a wash as it cannot be used on fabric. However, the 28 mm blades work in my Olfa 28 mm cutter and instead of paying a fortune for the blades, I paid only about $2.00 for a package of two. And, I have found they last longer than the ones made specifically for my cutter.
    I sharpen and reuse my blades in the Truecut cutter but haven't had perfect luck. I think a lot of my wear and tear on the blades is because I'm a klutz with my cutters and I have a cutting top on my table that should be replaced. I think I get stuck in previous 'tracks' and that results in not having a perfect cut.

Must my .02 cents worth.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

I purchased one from Joann's with a 50% off some time ago. I think it is okay and it does save some $$ on new ones. I generally stock up on blades when they have them on sale and then stockpile them until the one's I have sharpened give out. Works for me.
      Sewing mends the soul.
      sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
      Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
      ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

DD bought one a couple years ago. She says she likes it. she has to drive an hour or so to get to a store so it saves her a lot of frustration when she can't get out to get replacement blades.
        “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

I received one of these sharpeners as a gift several years ago. It is okay. Personally, I wouldn't waste my money.

Happy Sewing,
          Rae

Comment

I really like the one I got from Joann Fabrics. Maybe you aren't sharpening it long enough. I usually rotate the blade on the rough side of it a good ten times, turn it over and sharpen the other side of the blade. Then I do the same thing to both sides of the blade with the finer side of the sharpener.
            Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Sandy,are your sure the blades are 28mm not 45?I haven't seen the 28mm.Connie C

Comment

Duh? It's 28 mm . . . I have a 28 mm cutter . . . don't I? I'll go measure. You have definitely got me thinking. But I'm sure it's 28 mm. . . . well, almost.

Comment

Originally posted by Connie Chamberlain View Post
                  Sandy,are your sure the blades are 28mm not 45?I haven't seen the 28mm.Connie C
                  Connie, I did check. We are both correct. The Harbor Freight blades are 45 mm and fit all my 45 mm cutters. I do, however, have an OLFA 28 mm cutter.

Comment

Hi, my name is Jo. Just purchased the electric True Sharp power rotary blade sharpener form Truecut out of Salt Lake City. Although it cost $65.00, it was truly worth the money. Hubby was excited (since in the past he did it for me)--lol. It will sharpen blades from 28mm - 60 mm in only 30 seconds. And trust me they were sharp. So this would be a great gift for all whom sew. Thanks for letting me telling you about this wonderful gift I received. Jo

Comment

Working...
                    X