Thread spool fit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thread spool fit

Newbie looking for some help. I purchased a spool of Missouri Start 50wt cotton thread (500yd). I'm using a fresh 80/12 universal needle. Everything goes fine for a short while, and then things go wrong. I have threaded and re-threaded my machine, and tried adjusting the tension in both directions. I think its a problem with how the spool is feeding. I have tried it every way I can think of, with no luck. How do you use these spools on a standard sewing machine?

This type of spool works best on a thread stand.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
      This type of spool works best on a thread stand.
      Thank you, that's what I was concerned about. I had thought, because of the size, they would fit on a standard machine. Oops. Maybe a note could be added to the product description to avoid future confusion. Time to get creative! 😅

Comment

• Star lover
        Star lover commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve heard of placing your spool in a cup at the back or side of your machine so that the thread comes off the top and then thread your machine…..not sure if this is what you’re wanting to know….

• Mary Lynn
        Mary Lynn commented
        Editing a comment
        Putting thread one in a coffee mug works well.

I bought a thread stand years ago for ~$10. & have never been sorry. I buy the larger cones of thread since they are more economical. Just make sure you position it away from the wheel of the machine. The thread can wrap itself around the wheel & cause a big problem. I set my stand in the back of my machine & bring the thread over the top of my machine. I sew with the lid up.

Comment

I have a thread stand but some of my spools (big ones) don't fit the center stem so I put them in a large mug. Works great.
        Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
        Terry

Comment

Thread stand! I love mine and use it for all types of thread.

Comment

I use a mug behind my machine & here is what it looks like. I found a little aluminum fence tie in the garage, cut it off & taped it to the side of my machine. This works very well for me.
            Attached Files

Comment

I use a cup also and thread it though a small safety pin that I attach to the spool on the machine where the thread normally goes. That has worked for me.
              Carlie

Comment

so odd i can't see your photos at all. Anyway depending on size and way thread is loaded onto spools makes them either for your domestic machine spool holder or to be standing upright behind the machine on a tall thread stand or in a cup as some have done.

Comment

Hi, I had the same issue-thought it was the thread-until like others have recommended, use a stand. My stand was $10 at the LQS and now I’ve been successfully using MSQC 500 yd spools of 100% Cotton Quilting Thread. 😎

Comment

Have you tried placing your spool
                    horizontal? My Bernina offers
                    vertical and horizontal options
                    for thread spools.

Comment

Working...
                    X