Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone recommend a lightweight iron?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone recommend a lightweight iron?

Hi,

I am looking for a lightweight iron, hoping someone on here has something they love they can recommend. I bought a 'travel' one and it's okay. Definetlly lighter than the regular clothes iron I was using before but it gets scorched if I leave it on while I'm going back and forth from sewing/pressing. I probably shouldn't be doing that I guess but otherwise I would need to wait for it to heat up every time.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Walmart has a great selection of irons. Maybe go and lift each one and see which is the lightest. I don't understand. Do you leave your iron sitting on the sole plate when you aren't using it and it is on? Not really a good idea. My iron turns itself on after 20 minutes when not used. You might want to rethink doing that. I have an Oliso that I love. Maybe someone else will have a recommendation for you

Comment

I have the Rowenta travel iron and it weighs 1.5 pounds. Besides the light weight, I use it for pressing during piecing because it has a "pointy" tip that most travel irons don't. It does not have an auto-off feature which doesn't bother me. If I am not going to be using it for a bit, I unplug and re-plug when I need it. It heats up in about 2 minutes, so no big deal for me. I wish it had an on/off switch but it does not.
      I do not use water in any of my irons, found out long ago and the hard way, that water kills off irons and before they die, they will mess up your fabric.
      Another way to find the weight of irons is to look on Amazon, each iron has its weight listed in the description. You can also check out the features and reviews even if you don't purchase from Amazon.

Comment

I don't know how light weight you want but I got one at Vermont Country store and love it. It is a dry iron which is what i wanted. has a bit of heft to it and I am used to it now. i don't have to bear down all my weight to iron as i did with my earlier iron. So it is all in the individual. this one is the only iron they sell, called Knapp Monarch, about fifty dollars. I like it. i use it on 5 to 6 setting to be hot enough and it does not shut off automatically. you just turn the dial down again and either unplug or move switch on extra plug in like I have. Just thought I would mention this one since you've not said if you've found one just yet.

Comment

I also went to stupid walmart, got the Black & Decker, (lime green & white) travel iron, it's a 3/4 size, steam, & non stick. It's 3 yrs. old, still going. Does NOT have auto-shut off but I do like it a lot.
          Kathryn
          There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

Working...
          X