Caution about magnifying glasses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caution about magnifying glasses

I didn't want to hedge in on Patrice's question regarding magnifying glasses, but felt the need to share a story and caution everyone about using magnifying glasses in the sewing room (or other places for that matter). I have a couple OTT craft lights with magnifying glasses attached to the stand. I love them for their intended use. However . . .

. . . One morning a couple months ago I had a project I wanted to finish but I was so tired that I really wanted to go back to bed more. I debated back and forth and passed by the bedroom and headed to the sewing machine. Wise choice that day. While sewing I glanced over and saw smoke!! The sun coming in my window hit the magnifying glass just right and focused the heat on a box of prewound bobbins. There was a hole about 1/2 inch already burned through the box - three layers of the top. Had I given in to feeling tired and gone back to bed I don't even want to imagine what would have happened.

As with everything, care is always required.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Re: Caution about magnifying glasses

Having lost everything in a house fire, that was due to a lamp, I feel for you. And you are sooo lucky!!!!! God works in strange ways. I am so glad He saved you.
    I know having woke up to a totally engulfed living room and kitchen, getting out of a burning building is no easy feat. We were all very lucky and got us all out except for my friend's dog who we were sitting. I tried to get him but it was me or him. My husband chose me and our boys. Boy are you lucky. Yours was the sun and a glass, mine was a brand new house lamp. God Bless you. Jan
    Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

OMG Who would have thought about that. You are so lucky to go in there when you did. Thanks for that very important bit of info.

Comment

Thanks so much.

Comment

thanks Sandy. I will remember that. I have huge windows in my sewing room too. If I ever get one I will keep that in mind
          Patrice

Comment

Sandy, my husband gave me a nice new magnifying glass for Christmas and he and I were kidding about not leaving it where the sun could hit it... wait'll I tell him that it's no joke and really could happen! Thanks for the tip!

My heavens, Jan, sounds like you just made it! How horrifying!
            There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

OMGosh!! What a great warning....and a wonderful reminder. THanks so much!!
              Michele

Comment

Who'd have thought!?!? Wow. I agree, thanks for the info.

Comment

My tabletop sewing lamp has a magnifier attached on a flexible arm but it came with a soft fabric cover for the lens exactly for that reason. The instructions say to keep the lens covered when not in use to keep sun rays from passing through it.
                  Linda
                  -its not the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!

sigpic

Comment

What a great solution to what could be a terrible problem! Solved! Now for everyone to get busy sewing and posting their own little solution bags! Thanks for the warning, Sandy. Thanks for the solution, Sewbee. What a great forum! Suzy Que

Comment

Here's a pic of my lamps with the cover over the lens. Any kind of little drawstring bag would probably work.

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/alb...achmentid=1380
                      Linda
                      -its not the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!

sigpic

Comment

Who would have thought that it could happen that way. Thanks for the precaution.

Comment

Originally posted by Sewbee View Post
                          My tabletop sewing lamp has a magnifier attached on a flexible arm but it came with a soft fabric cover for the lens exactly for that reason. The instructions say to keep the lens covered when not in use to keep sun rays from passing through it.
                          Wonderful! I never thought about doing that. Guess what I'm going to be doing tomorrow? I'll make some special bags to slip over the magnifying glass. Maybe I just didn't read instructions, but neither of my glasses came with a cover.

THANKS!!
                          Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                          it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

OMG!!!! Thanks so much for posting this warning. Thankfully you caught your problem before it became a disaster. Barb
                            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

WOW! Sandy, so glad you didn't give in to the sleepies. And Jan, OMG, so glad you and your family made it out ok. Thanks for the warning Sandy!
                              ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

Working...
                              X