I need a new cutting mat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need a new cutting mat

My current cutting mat has about had it.
    I am starting to think about things I want to put on the Christmas list. I KNOW it's early, but I have a horrible time coming up with things at the last minute. This could be a good item on there!
    I currently have two different kinds. One is the milky white one with navy blue markings by Dritz and the other is the Olfa green with yellow markings. At the time I bought the first one (Dritz), they didn't make a mat big enough to cover the whole table top. I haven't used my Olfa one much since I had purchased it second, and is at the end of the table that is usually buried in patterns, rulers, templates, pin cushions/magnets, and jars with scissors & rotary cutters. The thicker Dritz mat has taken the brunt of the cutting the last 8 years. The measurements have about worn off at the more popular markings. It is also starting to bow up in those spots.
    My other concern is that I have the rulers that use the lip edge to help true up the ruler to the fabric. The Olfa one is thinner and the markings are set in from the edge. I am renovating the sewing space this fall and hope to be able to use the whole table after that.
    So what kind of cutting mats do you use, have you been happy with them, and how are they holding up?
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Re: I need a new cutting mat

OLFA all the way. I don't use the lip rulers though. I have one and never touch it. Only it's just normal ruler size, like a school kid might use.

Olfa just seems to hold up so much longer. But, it is really really fragile to environment changes. (too hot or cold)

My favorite size is 24 x 36.

Comment

I'd love a table with a mat that is extra long. What a dream that would be. I was priceing them I was surprised at how affordable they could be. The table is a different story. lol
      Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

There is no better than Olfa, for many reasons. The main one being that they are softer, which means they 'mend' better, this also makes them kinder on your blades, it doesn't blunten them as fast as the harder mats, so a win, win all round. Sadly this excellent softness makes them, as Hillbillly said, more susceptable to environmental conditions. Leave them in a hot car and they will buckle out of shape, and they need to be stored flat so they don't 'bow', but my big 36x24 never leaves my cutting table so no probs. Extreme heat can 'shrink' them, this won't be too obvious unless you put your laser etched ruller on it and check across the measurements on the mat. I almost never use the actual lines on my mat for measureing or cutting so I have no issue with this. For this reason I don't have this problem either: "The measurements have about worn off at the more popular markings. It is also starting to bow up in those spots."

These all seem bad traits, but seriously if looked after, Olfa mats are by far the best mat available. As I teach classes, I have encountered all manner and brand of mats, and some are very 'ordinary' to put it kindly.

My other large mat is a Birch, I don't know if you have this brand, it is a good mat but too hard, which means it costs me money in replacing blades on my cutter and trust me I go through them fast enough without my mat helping.
        Last edited by Dragonfly; September 10, 2010, 05:31 PM.
        Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

I have 3 mats.

My first is a June Taylor 11"x23" which I have had for about 4 yrs and use alot!! (the marking lines are nearly worn off and some small scars have started to form in the center!!) I am currently using an ironing board as my cutting table and so this fits perfectly, for now......

My second mat is incredible! It is a Salem (made in the USA!!) 18"x24" turn n cut rotating mat. I got it at a Quilt Show last fall and love it!! It came with a set of tack pins (that never leave a pin hole) and a little suction cup gripper thing to use with an acrylic ruler so it does not slide when cutting !!!! the website is hometownquiltsupply.net I strongly recommend this mat to everyone who asks

My third is a 6" rotating Olfa that my sister gave me a few months ago when i went to see her - she thought i could cut squares at the airport, but dang it, the security took my tiny tiny little cutter that went with it!!
          Two of my favorite things, to encourage and to be encouraged
          hugs, Suzi
          http://suzi.mypremierdesigns.com/
          it's what i do when i'm not here sewing with you

GOD Bless America

Comment

I am getting close to needing a new mat as well. I have looked them over and I like the green and yellow Olfa the best. I love that the measurement markings go very close to the edge of the mat. The one I have now is a Fiskar's, 23x35 (weird size, I know) and I've had it for a long long time, and it's been a pretty good mat, but the measurements are marked about 1/2 inch in from the edge. I have 2 of the lip edge rulers, but find that I don't use that edge at all, but love the long rulers.
            I recently travelled with my mat, during the extreme heat and it survived the trip. I had hubby cut down and fold a very large heavy shipping box and kept the mat in that. It was well protected from other sewing supplies and suitcases and did not warp at all.
            Lola
            :icon_wave: http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/

Comment

I have had my olfa 24x36 mat for 10 years now and it's still ticking. I've been thinking now and again of getting a new one, but there's nothing wrong with the one I have and it gets used a lot. There is scarring in it though.

Has anyone used those mat cleaners you can get? I wonder about their value.

Heather
              🍄 Heather🍄

Comment

I haven't tried a specific cleaner for a cutting mat, but I have tried a Magic Eraser and you would be amazed at what comes off those mats!
                I have read that it's fabric dust and strings in the cuts that causes the scarring to be worse from not healing correctly, so cleaning helps to make them last longer.
                Lola
                :icon_wave: http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/

Comment

Good point Lola. I'll try the magic eraser.
                  Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Wow! I never thought of using a Magic Eraser. That's a great tip. I use them to clean the sole plate of my iron.

I love my Olfa mats. I have a 24 x 36 on my cutting table, and the small, rotating mat for class. I have a June Taylor that I bought for classes, and don't ever use it. I hate the hard white mats. They dull my blades really fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Lola2Ace View Post
                      I haven't tried a specific cleaner for a cutting mat, but I have tried a Magic Eraser and you would be amazed at what comes off those mats!
                      I have read that it's fabric dust and strings in the cuts that causes the scarring to be worse from not healing correctly, so cleaning helps to make them last longer.
                      Lola
                      Thank you Lola - I used the magic eraser thing today on my main mat. Oh YUCK was it ever filthy. I used up half of the sponge cleaning my mat. Seriously glad that I read this thread.
                      Sewing mends the soul.
                      sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
                      Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
                      ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Working...
                      X