Shopping for a new machine, need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shopping for a new machine, need help

Hi all! I have had my machine for several years now, it is just a simple Brother. I have begun to do more sewing and am dreaming of a new one! I have NO clue where to start. I have read a few reviews, and like with everything there are good reviews and bad reviews. Tell me what you use or like, I just need a place to start. I am basically just doing quilt tops and smaller projects right now. I do hope to learn/practice free motion quilting at home too. Thanks in advance!

Re: Shopping for a new machine, need help

Oh, how exciting to get a New machine for You! Do you have a local sewing machine place to go and test drive sewing machines? That way you will get a warranty, free lessons, tune ups, etc..

If you do have a place near by they will prob have used machines at a discount price and ask if they have any specials going on or sales coming up. Don't buy right away take your time, take notes, research, and check reviews. Let us know how it's going on your sewing machine journey!

If you like your Brother you will prob like Babylock...http://www.babylock.com/
    Happy Quilting,
    Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, Rejoice! Philippians 4:3
    Link: Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus
    Link:I Will PRAISE Him!

Comment

Many on the forum use Janome machines, they are priced from $100 to $12000, so you have a wide range to choose from. I'd try them out to see if there is one in that line that you like.

One thing to think about when shopping for a machine, if you are going to quilt your quilts on your machine, you might want to think about some with a wider opening from needle to Motor, which is called the throat of the machine, the more space you have there, the easier it is to quilt your quilts, either Free motion quilting or Stitch in the Ditch quilting.

Good luck machine shopping, it is a lot of fun, but can be confusing when you first start.

Comment

I just bought a new singer for right at $200 when my old manual brother started making funny noises. The biggest reason I went with the machine that I got, was the throat size. I was looking at both Brother and Singer, but opted for the Singer because it gave me more room for FMQ. They both had numerous decorative stitches, and the brother had extra feet, which I didn't need, because I already had, and they were both low shanks and the feet would fit on either. I guess alot depends on your budget. What ever you choose, get one that you are going to love, and not based totally on salesman's pitch and recommendations. Remember they are working on commission. Look at all the reviews before you buy. Make sure you get one with more positive reviews than negative. Good luck with whatever you choose, and happy shopping.
        Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
        sigpic

Comment

Janome gets my vote and they come in all price ranges. If you just want to look, try checking out www.SewingMachinesPlus. They carry most of the popular brands at all price points! I just bought my second Janome and LOVE it!!!
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Janome gets my vote too but I've had a few Singers too and they are great machines. My main machine is a Janome 7700(around $2000 to $3000) but I also have a great Heavy Duty Singer that sells for around $200. Since being on this forum I've heard of many different brands of machines and they all sound pretty great.
            TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Comment

Go to your closest sewing machine/quilt shop and get a used one, best of both worlds: good machine, good price, free support and lessons from the shop helpers, AND you keep one used machine from going into the landfill.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubby View Post
                Janome gets my vote and they come in all price ranges. If you just want to look, try checking out www.SewingMachinesPlus. They carry most of the popular brands at all price points! I just bought my second Janome and LOVE it!!!
                I tried going onto the website it says its no longer
                sigpicHawaiigrammi

Comment

Originally posted by AlohaSandy View Post
                  I tried going onto the website it says its no longer
                  Need to add the .com

http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/index.php
                  K is for Karen 😊​..................
                  Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                  T - is it TRUE?
                  H - is it HELPFUL?
                  I - is it INSPIRING?
                  N - is it NECESSARY?
                  K - is it KIND?

Comment

I am a baby lock fan lover and agree that if you like your Brother a baby lock is a good choice.
                    sigpic
                    2013 = God's continued grace, healthy friends and family, and many wonderful sewing projects :icon_wave:
                    Jeanette

Comment

I am a Janome fan.....love both of my machines....Elna is made by Janome as well so check them both out!

Comment

Wow! So glad for all the responses. I don't have a local shop that handles many sewing machines, that's the down side. The only place that is within a half hour from me that I can find is a JoAnn's and the people there aren't very helpful, they don't know much about what they sell. Ohhhh, so overwhelming, but I do plan on taking my time, no rush. Thank you all!

Comment

Would advise against buying from JoAnn'. Very over priced.
                          Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                          sigpic

Comment

I have 3 Vikings because we live in a small town in western Colorado and the only dealer sells Vikings. One (Sapphire 850) I bought specifically for quilting because it has a larger throat space than most. The other two are sewing/embroidery machines (SE and a Diamond). I've been very happy with all of them. When lived in Florida I had a Janome MC9000 and had nothing but trouble with it with no dealer support whatever. I think the dealer support is just as important as the brand.

Comment

I am a Brother fan myself...but whatever you decide I would spend the extra for the larger throat for quilting. The Brother I used for quilting has a 9 x 6 throat space. The quilting machine has no decorative stitches...but I have other machines for that.

When I get ready to buy a machine I make a list of what's important to me, such as needle up/down, lock stitch, drop feed dogs etc. Then I look around on-line and read reviews - even if I don't buy on-line at least I get some comparison and see what others are saying about their machines.
                              Shirley aka buckeyequilter
                              I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

Working...
                              X