Applique-cutting fabric with the Cricut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Applique-cutting fabric with the Cricut

I am really new to quilting, so I don't have much experience. I have a Cricut machine, though, and have successfully cut fabric into shapes. I would love, love, love some tutorials on doing some quilting with appliques. Do I just make a small block and insert it with other kinds of blocks? By the way, I LOVE the Missouri Star tutorials. I am totally learning to quilt just by watching them. It is really motivating that they are so simple and makes me feel like I can do it. Keep them coming!

Re: Applique-cutting fabric with the Cricut

Originally posted by Kimberly View Post
    I am really new to quilting, so I don't have much experience. I have a Cricut machine, though, and have successfully cut fabric into shapes. I would love, love, love some tutorials on doing some quilting with appliques. Do I just make a small block and insert it with other kinds of blocks? By the way, I LOVE the Missouri Star tutorials. I am totally learning to quilt just by watching them. It is really motivating that they are so simple and makes me feel like I can do it. Keep them coming!
    wow, you are so lucky to have that machine ! That is on my list of purchases, one of these days ! I love applique...You can do applique more than one way... you can put the shape on some fusible, I've used it without it to, but it's easier with the fusible, and place it on your block and adhere it with an iron then use your machine and do a zig zag or satin stitch around the raw edges OR you can do needle turn where you put the shape/design on your block and turn the edges under as you stitch.... if you're not sure I found a tutorial on youtube... just type in nancyellenquilts... hopefully jenny will make a tutorial on this but if you're not sure which method you want to try then you can check out a few videos on youtube ! Hope this helps !

Comment

you can include appliqued blocks in with pieced blocks ! I think I answered your question !? I'm sure Jenny and the rest of the ladies would have alot of input for you to !

Comment

Originally posted by Kimberly View Post
        I am really new to quilting, so I don't have much experience. I have a Cricut machine, though, and have successfully cut fabric into shapes.
        My daughter is letting me borrow her cricut...and I am NOT successful at it at all! Please do explain how! Mine get all ripped and mangled. I've replaced blades and everything. I put fusible web on the back, to stiffen as I saw on some blog somewhere. No luck. I gave up, cut the shape on paper, then just trace it to my fusible web.

Comment

Lucky indeed! I've looked at that machine for a couple of years now but haven't picked it up yet.
          Shawn
          BAILEY'S QUILTING HEADQUARTERS - Superior Quilting Threads!

Comment

I agree there are lots of ways to incorporate applique into a quilt and a cricut will be lots of fun! Here's a link that I love for instructions on a technique called raw edge applique. The link is to a pillow tutorial by Kelly from don't look now, she has a couple on her site with great instructions on raw edge applique.
            If your using a cricut this will probably lend the best results since a precut shape probably won't have enough space to turn the edges under.

-It probably would be good to add the fusible web to the fabric before it's cut as long as it doesn't gum up the machine, I really don't know but it sounds easier. That's what we've done when cutting small shapes for scrapbooking and it makes it so much easier not to have to add the adhesive to a precut shape. I feel the same for fabric!

-If your really just wanting to know how to put it in your quilt... anything goes! You can put it on a block before its sewn on your quilt or make the quilt first and applique your shapes over the seams for a more whimsical/carefree look. You can have them hang over into your borders anywhere you think your applique will look good
            To stitch or not to stitch... There is no question.

Comment

Thank you, everyone, for your input. I hate to admit it, but I forgot I even posted this and just ran across it again today. I guess I'm a little scatterbrained with all the different things I'm doing. I do appreciate everyone's help, though.

Comment

Originally posted by hillbilly View Post
                My daughter is letting me borrow her cricut...and I am NOT successful at it at all! Please do explain how! Mine get all ripped and mangled. I've replaced blades and everything. I put fusible web on the back, to stiffen as I saw on some blog somewhere. No luck. I gave up, cut the shape on paper, then just trace it to my fusible web.
                I learned how by watching tutorials on youtube. There is a lady who cuts out a cupcake for a onesie on a small cricut. It works really well. If you do a search for cutting fabric on a cricut it should come right up. Good luck!

Comment

Re: Applique-cutting fabric

Originally posted by stitchywoman View Post
                  I agree there are lots of ways to incorporate applique into a quilt and a cricut will be lots of fun! Here's a link that I love for instructions on a technique called raw edge applique.
                  Thanks so much for the link to this CUTE pillow. I think I'm going to try to make it into a mug rug for the swap I'm in. Wish me luck 'cause I'm a newbie!!

Comment

Working...
                  X