X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bobw103
    replied
    Re: dresden plate

I know this was a while ago but I just stumbled on this thread and I wanted to say that I love this quilt! I am sure by now that it is complete. And I am so sorry about your quilt bag and original dresdens being stolen.
    Bobbi

Leave a comment:

• pdjewelrylady
    replied

Here is a picture of the NEW dresdens They are of course still in production but i Love them and wanted to share. each size has a different fabric set. the center circles i will coordinate to the backing which i want to change from the blue in this pic to a spring green. also i will add several solid color smaller ones scattered thruout. What do you think??
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• novice quilter
    replied

Originally posted by pdjewelrylady View Post
    Ladies,
    I am so sad today. The sewing bag (a really cute zebra stripe with red and yellow and teal accents) was stolen yesterday while I was at the beach, with ALL of my Dresden Plates!
    That is horrible! So sorry someone stole your sewing bag with all your Dresden Plates! I have to wonder if they knew what was in there or if they thought they were getting something else. I can't imagine a quilter stealing this. I hope it turns up. If not maybe you could have a party and invite your girlfriends to help you out again. I bet it would be fun.

Leave a comment:

• shell.scraps
    replied

OMG!!! Where was it??? That's horrible!!! So sorry that they were taken.....I"d be soooooo mad!!!

Leave a comment:

• pdjewelrylady
    replied

Ladies,
    I am so sad today. The sewing bag (a really cute zebra stripe with red and yellow and teal accents) was stolen yesterday while I was at the beach, with ALL of my Dresden Plates!

Leave a comment:

• jrchapman
    replied

I enlisted the help of a couple girlfriends and we whipped them out!
    I wish I had some girlfriends who could help me with the wedding quilt I'm working on. Ah well... I'll just soldier on.

Leave a comment:

• shell.scraps
    replied

1 plate only takes me about 5 minutes to sew together and another couple to complete the center button.......... it was cutting the blades that was the time taker upper but i enlisted the help of a couple girlfriends and we whipped them out! ALL 72 plates (plus a few extras) are sewn, pressed and ready to be appliqued YAY!! I will take to the beach with me this weekend and sit in the shade and may just get this project together in time for a very special wedding present.

You are my hero.... I can't wait to see this quilt...

Leave a comment:

• pdjewelrylady
    replied

Originally posted by shell.scraps View Post
    oh don't stress!! a little at a time....if you did something like 2 plates a week? how long does it take to do a single plate? there are no quilting nazis that make you do it all in one sitting!!
    1 plate only takes me about 5 minutes to sew together and another couple to complete the center button.......... it was cutting the blades that was the time taker upper but i enlisted the help of a couple girlfriends and we whipped them out! ALL 72 plates (plus a few extras) are sewn, pressed and ready to be appliqued YAY!! I will take to the beach with me this weekend and sit in the shade and may just get this project together in time for a very special wedding present.

Leave a comment:

• shell.scraps
    replied

oh don't stress!! a little at a time....if you did something like 2 plates a week? how long does it take to do a single plate? there are no quilting nazis that make you do it all in one sitting!!

Leave a comment:

• pdjewelrylady
    replied

Oh my - I think I am in over my head with the idea of a king size ! 72 blocks would be 1,440 blades!!

maybe just a few plates at a time in between other projects - it'll be my UFO!

Leave a comment:

• sewhot
    replied

You lost me, at........ toooo much math. Makes my brain hurt!

I think you girls are pretty straight on! Thanks Shell for answering this.

Leave a comment:

• shell.scraps
    replied

a king mattress is 76" x 80"

a king with little overhang would be about 104" x 93"

a king with dust ruffle overhang would be about 120" x 112"

so I would go about 72 blocks so the config would be 8 x 9

now this is without sashing or borders. you would use less blocks to make up the difference so that you don't have a mega quilt once you sash and border it.

**DISCLAIMER** Math is not my strong suit...so these numbers may be off a bit.....anyone else want to weigh in with their thoughts on how this would plan out?

Leave a comment:

• pdjewelrylady
    replied

YES! that is the question!
    I think 64 14" blocks - which would layout 8 by 8
    would you agree?
    Last edited by pdjewelrylady; March 24, 2010, 02:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• shell.scraps
    replied

The plate comes out to be about 12" across usually it is appliqued to a 14" square....

so the question really becomes...how many 14" squares for a king size quilt...

Leave a comment:

• pdjewelrylady
    started a topic dresden plate

dresden plate

Hi Jenny,
    LOVE the dresen plate tutorial!!! Thank you Thank You!! makes it look "doable"

IF:
    1 plate = 20 blades + 1 center circle
    42 swatches in a charm pack
    1 charm pack = 84 blades (2 from each 5 x 5 charm)
    What is the finished size of the plate? and
    SO - how many charm packs to create enough plates for a king size quilt top?

Thanks!
    pdjewelrylady
Working...
X