Large Quilt Binding and Borders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Large Quilt Binding and Borders

I just started getting into quilting, what is the easiest way to border and bind a larger quilt?

Thanks!

Re: Large Quilt Binding and Borders

Hey, Halfpint - welcome from NW Missouri.

I would say the easiest way to border a large quilt is to determine the length of your sides and the top and bottom (it is advised that you measure in the middle and use those figures - if your top and bottom are off a bit then you just ease the fabric into the length determined when measuring in the middle - Same for the sides). Determine the size you want your finished quilt, subtract the size of your completed top and divide by two. That will be the width of the pieces you need for the sides and again for the top and bottom. You can sew the sides on and then do a simple over-lap on the top and bottom border pieces.

When all else fails, watch some of Jenny's videos: http://tutorials.missouriquiltco.com/
    Then if you still have questions, come on back in and sit awhile with us!!
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Definitely watch Jenny's videos! The, quite literally, kept me from flinging myself off a cliff when I completed my first quilt. Gee, was it only 2 weeks ago?
      If you can't see it from 50 yards away on a galloping horse, it doesn't matter.

Follow my quilting adventures at Quilting Foote

Come join all the fun in our Farmer's Granddaughter Quilt Along!

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. (I totally ripped this off from S)

Comment

Originally posted by Meli View Post
        Definitely watch Jenny's videos! The, quite literally, kept me from flinging myself off a cliff when I completed my first quilt. Gee, was it only 2 weeks ago?
        I'm sure glad you didn't lose it, Meli!!!!!
        Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
        it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Working...
        X