Request for a "Fidget Mat" tutorial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Request for a "Fidget Mat" tutorial

Hi, this is my first post here. I love to sew and quilt, and have learned so much from the MSQC tutorials. I want to make activity mats for use in my Mom's retirement community. Mom has dementia, and I think she would like something to keep her hands busy and reduce her anxiety. I have found a few things on the Internet, but I really need a basic, streamlined tutorial to get me started, so that I could make mats quickly. Please, Jenny and Co., could you help with a new tutorial? Thanks very much!

Re: Request for a "Fidget Mat" tutorial

I found this with free instructions.

http://www.nancyzieman.com/blog/sewi...-activity-mat/
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I have been looking for patterns for busy books for children. I think many of these ideas could be incorporated into fidget mats. Check out quietbookblog.blogspot.com/p/template-directory.html
      sigpic

Comment

Thank you for the link! I'll advise if I find any other good sources. When I complete a couple of mats I like, I'll share pictures.

Comment

I would look on Pinterest. There are hundreds of ideas!
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

My Dad has advanced Alzheimers and he loves his fidget quilt. Even when he is laying down, he uses his hands to touch the fun fur, the difference feel of the other fabrics, traced the words and letters on it. He use to play with the zippers when he was able to. The best advise I can give you is don't use white fabric. People with demenita/alzheimers have a hard time distinguishing white from other colors....they can't see it. Otherwise, they love bright colors on them. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by grammakim04 View Post
              My Dad has advanced Alzheimers and he loves his fidget quilt. Even when he is laying down, he uses his hands to touch the fun fur, the difference feel of the other fabrics, traced the words and letters on it. He use to play with the zippers when he was able to. The best advise I can give you is don't use white fabric. People with demenita/alzheimers have a hard time distinguishing white from other colors....they can't see it. Otherwise, they love bright colors on them. Hope this helps.
              I also heard not to use yellow (represents caution tape), red (represents anger) and black (represents a black hole).
              Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I've made a few. I found a bunch of fabrics with different textures and colors, added laces and zippers and buttons and whatever else I had. Each quilt was made with simple squares of the fabrics, so it was rather easy to put together. I did plan out my bits beforehand though. The quilts were lap sized, not very big.

I gave them to the home where my aunt lived. All the residents use them. Some have found a favorite and claimed it for their own.

Just make sure everything is washable and all is securely fastened.

Comment

The book "Comfort Quilts from the Heart" has instructions for fidget quilts, walker bags, and the like. Well written instructions and great ideas for charity quilting.

Comment

Thanks! I'll look it up!

Comment

It does help! Thanks for the suggestions. Mom loves horses, so I'm using horse fabric, and will embellish each little panel with something different and sturdy. I'll stay away from white buttons, etc. best wishes for your Dad.

Comment

Thank you for the suggestions. I am going to add some medium jingle bells to a horse's harness, and will make sure to anchor them on securely. Did you weight the quilts or attach ties to keep them in place?

Comment

I'm planning to use lots of colors, in small sizes to not overwhelm Mom. Thank you for the advice on colors to avoid. For the reverse of the lap quilt, I have a yard of "I spy with my little eye" to use as the base, and then embellish. I don't think any one color dominates. Thanks again for your color advice.

Comment

Thanks and best regards to all of you who offered suggestions. It's very kind of you to help! I think I'm ready to begin the first mat.

Comment

I don't know if you follow Man Sewing with Rob Appell, but he has plans for a fidget quilt tutorial in the coming months!

Comment

Working...
                              X