pattern for large designs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pattern for large designs

What's a good quilting pattern to use when your design on a layer cake is large? I don't want to loose the print or chop the characters up so much that you don't see what it is. For example the Star Wars print that's on the sale of the day today. I'm afraid if I use the double layer cake pattern the figures on the print will be too chopped up. Any ideas?

Re: pattern for large designs

For Star Wars I would do something simple.

DSC_0020.JPG

Welcome to the forum!
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

I had a layer cake one time that I wanted to keep in tact for the most part so I would not lose the print. I simply sashed the 10 inch squares and added corner stones. Also, one of my favorite quilts in Jenny's trunk show is the quilt where she simply sewed 10 inch squares together. Sometimes less is more. You could always add a scalloped border to add some pizzazz if you think the quilt needs something a little extra.

Comment

Friendship Star Sashing quilt from Jenny's Tutorial would wor
        http://quiltingtutorials.com/product...sashing-quilt/
        Wendy
        http://www.pinterest.com/wlrich2/boards/

Comment

I would look at making the "Friendship Star Sashing" quilt. Jenny did tutorial back in March.

Comment

I have tried copy and paste my pictures from making 2 of the grandkids a Star Wars quilt, and I haven't been able to do it. From 10" squares I made from Jennies tutorials the intersection quilt and the other I made the one that has the friendship star in the corner of the each 10" sashing , and that was my favorite. The star went with it perfect and was so fast. If you know how I can post the pictures let me know, and I will. My pictures and everything is on an IPad.

Comment

Originally posted by Anitamae56 View Post
              I have tried copy and paste my pictures from making 2 of the grandkids a Star Wars quilt, and I haven't been able to do it. From 10" squares I made from Jennies tutorials the intersection quilt and the other I made the one that has the friendship star in the corner of the each 10" sashing , and that was my favorite. The star went with it perfect and was so fast. If you know how I can post the pictures let me know, and I will. My pictures and everything is on an IPad.
              posting pictures from an iPad is simpler than from a laptop. Look at the menu bar above the entry box ( where you type new messages). there is a picture of a tree. Tap that and you will get a drop down menu to get your picture from the computer or URL. Choose computer then choose file, hit that button. You will then get the choice to select from a picture you have already taken, or you can take a picture. Select your picture, then click upload file. It might take a minute or two, but will come up as a file number. Once you post, you will be able to see your picture. Easy-peasy! Much easier than uploading to a picture queue!

Comment

Illusion is another good pattern. I made the skateboard quilt for my grandson that used half a layer cake square. It would make an awesome Star Wars quilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                  For Star Wars I would do something simple.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]138877[/ATTACH]

Welcome to the forum!
                  I love this pattern Lorie.....what's it called.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
                    posting pictures from an iPad is simpler than from a laptop. Look at the menu bar above the entry box ( where you type new messages). there is a picture of a tree. Tap that and you will get a drop down menu to get your picture from the computer or URL. Choose computer then choose file, hit that button. You will then get the choice to select from a picture you have already taken, or you can take a picture. Select your picture, then click upload file. It might take a minute or two, but will come up as a file number. Once you post, you will be able to see your picture. Easy-peasy! Much easier than uploading to a picture queue!
                    Thank you very much!
                    Attached Files

Comment

IMG_0132.jpg

I couldn't add this to the same thread, and they are turned wrong, I will keep learning , thank you, Jean!

Comment

You have such a handsome helper!

Comment

Originally posted by kgirlmom View Post
                          You have such a handsome helper!
                          Thank you!

Comment

If you make a Square in a Square pattern, your squares won't be cut up at all. I've made several of these. If you have JR of a similar pattern, you can use those (mix up the designs) or use sashing.Finished Square-in-a-Square Quilt - Jan. 2015 005.jpgFinished Square-in-a-Square Quilt - Jan. 2015 006.jpg

Comment

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions! Its exactly what I needed! This is my first time using the Forum and it was great! Once I get it made I will post a picture...but it won't be for a while yet...just started the Desert Sunset Quilt using a jelly roll of Kaffe Fassett!!! Should be interesting!

Comment

Working...
                              X