Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bordered Periwinkle Quilt -- the wacky web template doesn't fit??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bordered Periwinkle Quilt -- the wacky web template doesn't fit??

Okay, so I saw the Bordered Periwinkle tutorial and I love it! I cut my layer cake in half and to my dismay my wacky web template is a little too small for the fabric. (It does fit the papers perfectly.) It's not the mini wacky web; this one is the small wacky web and measures 5" across, and the papers are basically 9 -1/2" squares cut diagonally. It seems like I'm using the same products used in the video, but why does Jenny's template fit perfectly on her fabric and mine is too small? I can't find a larger template on the website....
    Last edited by LaurieRolan; December 28, 2016, 06:37 PM.

Re: Bordered Periwinkle Quilt -- the wacky web template doesn't fit??

If i'm understanding you, after you'very cut the square into a triangle, then place the template onto the fabric, the skinny end isn't meeting with the edge of the fabric at the long length?

If you watch the video again, @ 1:51 minutes you can see that is normal ( look close & quick) & Jenny trims off a smidgen about a 1/4 inch, at that point.

Or am I misunderstanding your dilemma?

Comment

Originally posted by LaurieRolan View Post
      I cut my layer cake in half
      The wacky web/periwinkle template is meant to fit on a 5 inch square, not a half a layer cake.
      K is for Karen 😊​..................
      Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
      T - is it TRUE?
      H - is it HELPFUL?
      I - is it INSPIRING?
      N - is it NECESSARY?
      K - is it KIND?

Comment

But, Karen, if you cut a layer cake in quarters, you should have 4 5 inch squares. Right?
        Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
        Terry

Comment

Yes... one layer cake square cut in 1/4's will give you the 5 inch squares you need for that template.

Comment

Some manufacturers size their precuts just slightly differently... just make sure that it's the same for all your cuts and you should be good to go! Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline T. View Post
              If i'm understanding you, after you'very cut the square into a triangle, then place the template onto the fabric, the skinny end isn't meeting with the edge of the fabric at the long length?

If you watch the video again, @ 1:51 minutes you can see that is normal ( look close & quick) & Jenny trims off a smidgen about a 1/4 inch, at that point.

Or am I misunderstanding your dilemma?
              Yes, Caroline, you're right! I watched the video again and Jenny's template is also a little smaller than the fabric triangle. The video I watched had 'subtitles' right over the area I needed to see! I'm off to start my quilt! YAY!!

Comment

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
                The wacky web/periwinkle template is meant to fit on a 5 inch square, not a half a layer cake.
                For the bordered periwinkle template, you cut the layer cake in half diagonally to use the template.

Comment

Thanks, Caroline! You're right, Jenny's template doesn't fit perfectly either. I missed that fleeting second on the video. I've got about half my fabric cut now and the quilt is SO fun to piece and is coming out great. Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by LaurieRolan View Post
                    Thanks, Caroline! You're right, Jenny's template doesn't fit perfectly either. I missed that fleeting second on the video. I've got about half my fabric cut now and the quilt is SO fun to piece and is coming out great. Thanks again!
                    So glad to hear you figured it out. Can't wait to see the finished results (and to receive any tips you may have for those of us who haven't made one yet).

Comment

Img_0464-small.jpg
                      Img_0465.jpg

Here is my bordered periwinkle quilt! It was fun to piece the blocks and relatively trouble free to put the whole thing together, but there are a LOT of bias edges to contend with. If I made another one I think I'd use some Best Press or spray starch after ripping off the foundation paper to help stabilize those edges.

Comment

Oh that's so pretty! I love the gray sashing and the pink border! Congratulations on getting it done. What are you going to do with it now?

Comment

That turned out wonderfully! Very interesting pattern ... and so colorful. Good job figuring it out and thanks for the tip.

Comment

Originally posted by snippet View Post
                            Oh that's so pretty! I love the gray sashing and the pink border! Congratulations on getting it done. What are you going to do with it now?
                            I'll probably sell it in my Etsy shop. I've got so many tops to quilt that I only have a few for sale -- I need to quilt more and piece less!

Comment

Working...
                            X